Musket's

stumpndum

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks nice already but as I mentioned before if muskets or other types of firearms should appeal to a large crowd than they must be oriented on the overall game style.

Best option by far for Muskets to be logically acceptable is as a long forgotten, recently rediscovered Dwemer Tech. Its design should be close to the Design of the Dwarven Gear which is golden mostly metallic and "not to round".

The weapon should be heavily balanced not to break the game. Very strong but near annoying reloading and suboptimum accuracy. The weapon could be used to "soften" high level enemies before close encounter or to take out high threats first to make life easier.

Next step would be to make a Quest where a ancient weapon cache is found and rumors spread which leads to the finding of more all over Skyrim which than could be taken as a "excuse" to give Muskets to several factions. Given time, will and skill a mod could be further expanded to lead to custom developments of other Muskets with Elven, Orcish or even Daedric Styles.

Muskets or Firearms in general, can be done and they dont necessarily break the game, if and only if its done with care.

Jeah sure...but there will be plenty of people, that create dwemer stuff so i start with weapons that i like...and i was always in love with the old firearms of our world.

Really don't care for the lore or whatever - it's a game, i already spent a lot of time in the original thing. Will go over to "more fitting stuff" when i learned to handle all those tools. I would program a game myself but that would take months/years (that i don't have) to end up with a mediocre fungame...i think Skyrim is a good base to start with.

And i won't overpower it...just saw a guy firing 3 musket shots in 46 seconds so in game i would take something from 10-15 seconds as reload time. Heavy dmg of course, instantly kills low opponents, medium ones might survive but i could imagine that they get confused after a shot (impact/smoke/noise) and can't attack for 1-3 seconds (the spell to calm down enemies is already in the game).

Not used as attack weapon for sneak attacks against several enemies of course but as already mentioned a few times: As an opener for a frontal attack, the long reload time would prevent multiple use.

Maybe i should mod something like that:

http://www.nerdsnacks.com/nerdsnacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ash-army-of-darkness-260x300.jpg

:D

Edited by ghosu

cross bows would be kewl but muskets? Lets look at the history. Powder in real life wasn't invented until 850 A.D. It was first used in combat in 919 A.D. for bombs like fused hand grenades. the first cannon was not used until 1126. In 1132 the first 2 person canon was used and finally the fir single person operation gun was used in 1290 A.D.

Now Skyrim seems to take place in the early Mid-evil age witch started in 476 before gunpowder was even invented.

HOWEVER the Medieval age did not end until around 1470. So i guess it COULD be possible to have very early muskets they would look like this the match lock musket literally had a fuse (see link at bottom) and were EXTREMELY inaccurate in fact a lot of the time the warriors would end up tossing away the rifle for the bow anyway for the accuracy and the quicker load and fire time.

http://www.osvaldogatto.com.ar/images/catalogo/Mosqu_mecha1.jpg

I respect what you're saying because I can see you have a fair interest in history--a very fascinating period of history in fact. Have you encountered any mods that tend to go the other way than some here and make the game more realistic in terms of historical accuracy? I'm seriously asking,,, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I love the musket idea because I wanted to shoot someone in the game the other day...but, on the other hand, it would be cool to have some accurate weapons and things like that. Plus magic and dragons...

That musket looks way too "modern" and polished. Should firearms ever exist in Skyrim (and personally I think it's not really the most fitting place for firearms), they would look very primitive and basic.