CTD problems

Hexent

Like many others I too am having problems after the last patch. Good old Bathesda, fix/add one thing break 20 others. So far I've noticed that it crashes whenever it DOESN'T play the S.P.E.C.I.A.L videos. Unfortunately whether or not the game plays those videos is entirely random. Some days I can start the game once to find one of those videos playing and will be able to load normally. Other days I need to run the game almost 20 times before it will load properly, sometimes I just give up. Sometimes the game will randomly crash in the middle of playtime for no reason at all. For a while I couldn't enter diamond city without it crashing but I used console commands to get past that problem and now it works fine.

As for potential fixes.

I've updated all my mods and downloaded some patches I had missed the first time around. I've turned off steam overlay and streaming. I've also updated SKE and my load orders are correct. LOOT says there's no conflicting mods. I've run the game without mods and it still does it. Some people have suggested that uninstalling minutmen mods but that is simply not an option for me since those as well as my other settlement mods are 100% required. Those mods have been updated since the patch came out so they shouldn't be a problem.

But the main question here is, is there a way to make it so the S.P.E.C.I.A.L video plays every time the game launches?

Also if you have any info on how to fix the crashes altogether that would be appreciated.

Ok scratch that. The S.P.E.C.I.A.L have nothing to do with it, its entirely random. Fk I just don't get it. All the mods are working 100% when it loads properly so the mods can't be the problem right? It has to be the DLC...

So you are saying that when you start you never get or hardly ever get to the game menu where you can actually start a game? Have you tried starting with mods disabled to see if it starts ok? Have you verified game cache? Also look at your load order real close and make sure there are no issues with a mod. A lot of times this sort of thing can be related to a missing esm but I would think if that was the case then it would never ever start. You might try posting your load order so people can look it over and see if it has any issues...

I'm having the exact problem you are, and have posted it on this forum a few days ago, and nobody has an answer. I've noticed the same problem with the SPECIAL video. I'll even go one step further. I also notice that before starting the game when you are on the "press any key to begin" screen, that when you press any key, the screen flashes black, then you have to press a key to begin a second time. My game crashes when I enter a new cell randomly, however it usually is the 5th or 6th cell I enter when the crash happens. I can play fine until then. So I've had to start saving before opening any door or fast traveling anywhere to be sure I don't lose my progress. It is frustrating.

So you are saying that when you start you never get or hardly ever get to the game menu where you can actually start a game? Have you tried starting with mods disabled to see if it starts ok? Have you verified game cache? Also look at your load order real close and make sure there are no issues with a mod. A lot of times this sort of thing can be related to a missing esm but I would think if that was the case then it would never ever start. You might try posting your load order so people can look it over and see if it has any issues...

I'm pretty sure the load order is correct. Since I've noticed that it doesn't actually have anything to do with the SPECIAL video I've realized that when it does crash it always crashes after a specific short amount of time as passed. So if I let the game play whichever video it decides to play at the start it'll crash as soon as the shortest one finishes or during one of the longer videos. IF however I skip the video I can select the Continue Game option fast enough it'll start loading but crash after the same amount of time has passed. I think it might be a script causing the problem. On another post a guy said the new update for Fallout Script Extender fked over his game entirely and he had to completely remove the game from his computer then reinstall FSE and all his mods all over again. I could do that but I just did that a little while ago and downloading that much stuff rapes my internet. I'd rather avoid it.

GameMode=Fallout4

Fallout4.esm=1

DLCRobot.esm=1

DLCworkshop01.esm=1

DLCCoast.esm=1

DLCworkshop02.esm=1

ArmorKeywords.esm=1

Snap'n Build.esm=1

Loads.esm=1

NewCalibers.esp=1

SettlementKeywords.esm=1

Homemaker.esm=1

Crafting Workbench.esp=1

Crafting Workbenches - Automatron DLC.esp=1

Crafting Workbenches - Junk Items.esp=1

Crafting Workbenches - Power Armor.esp=1

Crafting Workbenches - Pre War and Manufactured.esp=1

AIO SS.esp=1

DD_build_a_castle_01.esp=1

AkaWaterWorld.esp=1

DD_fire_lights.esp=1

DD_Columnsandstuff_1_0.esp=1

DDP_Ramps_mark1.esp=1

dinoshelf.esp=1

dinoshelf_extra_ammo.esp=1

Eli_PlantPots.esp=1

FunctionalDisplays.esp=1

FunctionalDisplays-AID-Weightless.esp=1

FunctionalDisplays-Collectibles.esp=1

FunctionalDisplays-MISC-Weightless.esp=1

FunctionalDisplays-Patch-DLC03.esp=1

Fusebox Generator.esp=1

DD_Khassar_De_Templari_Increased_build.esp=1

MsRae_BinsOStuff.esp=1

OCDecorator.esp=1

OCDispenser.esp=1

OCD FarHarborDLC.esp=1

OCDecorator - No Experience.esp=1

AES_Renovated Furniture.esp=1

BetterJunkFences.esp=1

DD_Youre_Dead_this_Is_a_clone_Alternate_death.esp=1

Insignificant Object Remover.esp=1

BasementLiving.esp=1

Minutekeep.esp=1

LOCPoweredDoors.esp=1

Northland.esp=1

SettleObjExpandPack.esp=1

WastelandWorkshopPatch.esp=1

Eli_Apocalypse Attire.esp=1

Armorsmith Extended.esp=1

Ballistic Under-Armor 1.3.esp=1

EndorsCustomCombatArmor.esp=1

Eli_ArmourCollection.esp=1

GlovesOfTheCommonwealth.esp=1

HN66-SiriusArmor.esp=1

Jacket.esp=1

Rangergearnew.esp=1

Scavenged NCR Armor.esp=1

The Rebel.esp=1

Eli_Accessories.esp=1

Amazing Items.esp=1

Amazing Items - Armorsmith Extended.esp=1

Amazing Items - Cheat.esp=1

Amazing Items - Crafting Workbenches.esp=1

Craftable Armor Size - Fix Material Requirements.esp=1

Craftable Armor Size.esp=1

MoreWeaves.esp=1

Glowing Animals Emit Light.esp=1

WET.esp=1

WET Clearer.esp=1

BeastWhisperer.esp=1

Lasers Have No Recoil.esp=1

AutoUnequipPipboy.esp=1

Lots More Facial Hair.esp=1

synth-eyes.esp=1

AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp=1

LooksMenu Customization Compendium.esp=1

MeanMachineEyes.esp=1

RealTroughs.esp=1

SuperNaturalEyes.esp=1

Witcher Eyes.esp=1

combat_PA.esp=1

combat_PA - AWKCR.esp=1

EnclaveX02.esp=1

tank_PA.esp=1

tank_PA - AWKCR.esp=1

PowerArmorT49.esp=1

DOOMDesertEagle.esp=1

Extended weapon mods.esp=1

Glock20.esp=1

DOOMLK05.esp=1

GatlingRifle.esp=1

GatlingRifle-Commando.esp=1

GatlingRifle-NoIdiotSavant.esp=1

Super Laser.esp=1

Supercharged Capacitor.esp=1

LegendaryModification.esp=1

LegendaryModification - DLC Far Harbor.esp=1

LegendaryModification Enhanced.esp=1

LegendaryModification2LM.esp=1

LegendaryModification - DLC Far Harbor (2LM).esp=1

LegendaryModification2LMAKPatch.esp=1

LegendaryModificationMisc.esp=1

Scrap Everything - Core.esp=1

Scrap Everything - Far Harbor.esp=1

Scrap Everything - Automatron.esp=1

DD_CBBE_SLooty_Castle_Innie_Vajayjay_4k_Fix.esp=1

UniqueUniques.esp=1

XCE.esp=1

SkibsIF54-AWKCR.esp=1

Multiple Floors Sandboxing.esp=1

SMH.esp=1

Loads of Ammo - Leveled Lists.esp=1

3dscopes.esp=1

3dscopes-AddToSpawnList.esp=1

3dscopes-framework.esp=1

Crafting Workbenches - Ammo.esp=1

Crafting Workbenches - Ammo Special.esp=1

Weaponsmith Extended 2.esp=1

M14.esp=1

standaloneconstruct.esp=1

MidWest PA.esp=1

BioshockInspiredPowerArmor.esp=1

MP153.esp=1

LEGENDARY BFG 9000.esp=1

Synth MegaPack.esp=1

Synth MegaPack AE Patch.esp=1

OSM_AlternateStart_Protocol-InfiniteAnswer.esp=1

CBBE.esp=1

RaiderOverhaul.esp=1

Raider Overhaul - AE Patch.esp=1

dinomore.esp=1

BetterSettlers.esp=1

BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp=1

BetterSettlersFarHarborPatch.esp=1

Synth Overhaul.esp=1

AlternateSettlements.esp=1

MinutemenPropaganda.esp=1

Minutemenoverhaul.esp=1

MO_HM_OCD_Patch.esp=1

MO_Propaganda.esp=1

Homemaker - Greenhouse and Bunker Disabler.esp=1

Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power.esp=1

Homemaker - Unlocked Institute Objects.esp=1

Better Vendor Stalls.esp=1

Generalofthearmy.esp=1

Homemaker - Greenhouse and Bunker Disabler SKE.esp=1

Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power SKE.esp=1

Homemaker - Unlocked Institute Objects SKE.esp=1

AutomatronCountyCrossingFix.esp=1

My load order just in case. LOOT was made to organize load orders but I've heard people here and there say that it does the opposite sometimes.

Edited by Hexent

having this issue too - have yet to pin this problem down as it loads correctly 1/10 times.

Edit: This issue seems to be afflicting my game even with every mod uninstalled and ENB/Shadowboost removed. hrm. will full uninstall all textures and whatnot as well just to be sure.

Full texture uninstall has solved the crashing. now to figure out what is triggering the crash.

Edited by thefritobandito

I do have an optimized texture mod that makes the game less hard on my computer. I'll try uninstalling that and changing my graphics settings to medium when I get home from work. Hopefully that'll fix things.

Testing this texture stuff today - so far none of the obvious texture overhauls are causing crashing. will start enabling mods one by one now.

EDIT: 80% of my mods are reinstalled and most major texture related things are in - no crashing still. I am starting to think that it was some sort of corrupted texture file causing the crashing. will update when i finish installing mods.

EDIT2: Fully reinstalled, no crashing. likely some kind of file corruption.

Edited by thefritobandito

Realized that I can play Twilight Princess on an emulator so I have been procrastinating. But a texture mod causing the problem kinda makes sence. The one mod I use is the only mod I haven't looked at. I just didn't expect it would be the problem I guess. But with my crash patterns it would make sence if it was specific texture in the mod that was causing the problems since textures are probablly loaded in the same order at the start screen. Maybe the update screwed with the mod somehow since they put so much new s#*! in.

I'm having the same problems as you with no mods loaded from fresh install. If I launch vanilla I can start a game. If I try to launch F4SE and nothing else, the game crashes. It seems like Bethesda added a script extender killer or the latest F4SE doesn't work at all.