ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

How do I use mods I downloaded

NuclearFuzion

I recently got a gaming PC, so then after moving onto this platform, I decided to get Skyrim for the PC and not for the 360.

The problem is, I'm not sure how to use mods, I know where I can download them, but I want to know how to activate them.

I presume that the game launcher's "data files" has something to do with it, but I'm not sure how that's supposed to work.

If you could provide an explaination on how I can use mods, that would be helpful.

Not all mods are installed in exactly the same way, and usually the authors have written installation instructions in the description.

If you are still confused it would likely be easier for us to help you if you post the links to some of the mods you wish to install.

Oh, and welcome to the community, since this is your first post :)

Edited by amycus

short answer: depends on the mod. just follow the instructions and make sure on the data files page you check the box at the bottom which says "load loose files"

Right now, the program mainly used to make mods has not been finished/released yet so what has been released is very limited, I suggest reading mod descriptions carefully and trying to understand exactly what the mod is doing. Simple things such as http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=669 are retextures, which means they take the model of the armor and basically put new colors/patterns on it (which is the texture) and the reason the game recognizes as they share the same name as the vanilla (term for files from the original un modded game) files. Won't that overwrite my vanilla files? No because all of Skyrims files are compressed into a .BSA archive with all of the directories set up. People use a tool called .BSA extracter (they come with any previously released mod manager, and any up to date one will work with skyrims .BSA's fine). Normally you will find that mods come with an .esp which holds scripting and basically all the info that tells the game what to do with different objects (armor, npcs, buildings) and when an .esp is placed in the data folder it pops up as a selectable box in the data files menu named correspondingly. Texture replacers/ better night sky/ all those things you just place the files in the directories as the modder said (textures, meshes, and sound folders should all go inside data unless somehow someone has made a wierd directory paradox Ive never seen in the 200 gigs of mods Ive installed)

short answer: depends on the mod. just follow the instructions and make sure on the data files page you check the box at the bottom which says "load loose files"

I tick the box that says Load Loose Data Files & then OK, but it doesn't save it. ie If i click on Data Files again , it is unticked.

Thanks for making this thread OP, I am new to this game (Which is amazing) and new to modding it obviously. I have followd all the instructions and extracted the files to where they are supposed to go and I cannot see a difference in anything. Not the blood, not the block face mod etc. I will be following this thread closely. Are you using Steam? I have never had great luck modding games that have to go through steam. I should have read the box when I bought it...

. Are you using Steam? I have never had great luck modding games that have to go through steam. I should have read the box when I bought it...

Unfortunately you can't get this game without steam.

Well, thats a good thing then. It gives me hope that somehow I will be able to make use of these awesome mods. The darn checkbox will not stay ticked when I set it to load loose files and it is driving me crazy. :teehee:

. Are you using Steam? I have never had great luck modding games that have to go through steam. I should have read the box when I bought it...

Unfortunately you can't get this game without steam.

Well, thats a good thing then. It gives me hope that somehow I will be able to make use of these awesome mods. The darn checkbox will not stay ticked when I set it to load loose files and it is driving me crazy. :teehee:

Same for me.