Why is dual wielding so gimp?

lolzeeee

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, having read the thread as it's developed, and seeing the OP and some other people are saying they don't want to be an assassin-type character, I'd agree that a more up-front kind of dual-wielding character is underpowered, but then I'd also say that that's pretty damn realistic. Generally you'd have to be insane to try dual-wielding in a real fight against someone with a sword and shield, against someone with a bow, or against someone with a spear (if this game had spears). You could say you're sacrificing defence for offence, but actually, the advantage you'd get from a weapon in each hand would be negligible and would in no way make up for the defensive loss.

However, and here's where I can totally agree with the OP, it still doesn't make sense that they can't parry. Either dual-wielders should also be able to parry - and I'd argue it would be better than parrying with a single weapon because not only can you cover two different angles of attack at once, you could parry with one weapon and then counter with the 2nd weapon - or there should be some very interesting techniques to overcome other fighting styles, for example, an attack that hits about 8 times in a very small space of time, not for very much damage, but it knocks enemies' shield arm out of the way and breaks their block. Things like that, that really embody the relentless assault idea of being a dual-wielding berserker kind of fighter. So they should have the assassin-type that they already seem to have covered, a Zorro-type that parries like crazy, and a berserker-type with relentless, guard-breaking attacks.

Dual wielding is op and here is why:

-Massive dmg with the power attack not to mention you can use the perk that gives 50% dmg(you can kill a dragon using 3 of this power attacks wich is 5 sec).The 2 handed power attack is much slower than the dual wield, and also with dual wield you can power attack with each weapon.

-Much faster attack speed than 2handed or even one handed+shield(because duel wield has perk to attack faster)

-2xEnchantments

-When you get disarm just press he hotkey and you use the 2nd weapon in your hand

-I personally tried using the 2 handed weapon and compared to duel wielding its a joke

The only drawback is that you can't block wich is usless anyway if you don't have a shield.

So duel wield vs 2 handed weapons, i take dual wield any time.

Edited by Pacerot

However, and here's where I can totally agree with the OP, it still doesn't make sense that they can't parry. Either dual-wielders should also be able to parry - and I'd argue it would be better than parrying with a single weapon because not only can you cover two different angles of attack at once, you could parry with one weapon and then counter with the 2nd weapon - or there should be some very interesting techniques to overcome other fighting styles, for example, an attack that hits about 8 times in a very small space of time, not for very much damage, but it knocks enemies' shield arm out of the way and breaks their block. Things like that, that really embody the relentless assault idea of being a dual-wielding berserker kind of fighter. So they should have the assassin-type that they already seem to have covered, a Zorro-type that parries like crazy, and a berserker-type with relentless, guard-breaking attacks.

I agree that parrying should be possible, but being able to cover an angle of attack is not the only element involved in a parry. One also needs the strength to deflect the blow away from the body. If you've only got one hand behind each of your swords, you're not going to be as effective at deflecting a blow from a greatsword as you could be had you two hands behind your blade. But you are right that if you did manage to parry with one hand, the other hand would be in a good position to attack (unless your opponent was dual wielding or equipped with a shield).

Edited by doddibot

I agree about your 2H parrying point, having to arms behind it would give a huge advantage, but since 1H weapons can parry, it seems funny that dual-wielding can't since all dual-wielding is is two 1H weapons.

I agree about your 2H parrying point, having to arms behind it would give a huge advantage, but since 1H weapons can parry, it seems funny that dual-wielding can't since all dual-wielding is is two 1H weapons.

Even if you parry with a 1h weapon, I still think the animation uses both hands to parry with it. The only exception is with a shield, which doesn't require hand or arm strength so much as it requires you to not shatter your arm under the force.

HOWEVER... realism aside... the idea that a dragon blooded character, who likely has supernatural powers and strength, cannot use 1 arm/hand to block or parry with is - well.. illogical. I understand that a normal person cannot effectively block with 1 weapon in one hand but we *are* talking EXACTLY about the type of characters seen in entertainment or story books. This guy *should* probably be able to parry even if a normal human cannot - since we are not talking about normal people and we aren't even always talking about the human race specifically.

The only reason you can't block with dual wield is because the developers decided to selectively determine, seemingly on a whim, what is realistic for a heroic super natural character and what is not. Ultimately the op is probably right. The lack of block is because of consoles. Lets just blame them since they are the evil of gaming and leave it at that.

(Note: Even if you go with the developers reasoning I think a normal human can still deflect and dodge with dual wield. Maybe not block and stop the energy entirely, but redirect with the idea of making it miss its mark - both options seem to be missing from this game for some reason)

I just wanted to play devils advocate. I'll go back into hiding nyah :)

i don't know what you guys are talking about cause my character is a beast when it comes to dule wielding i am constantly switching back and forth between light and heavy armor i put on my dark brotherhood or nightingale armor on when sneaking and and then switch to what ever heavy armor i'm using when fighting a bunch of people and i've never had a problem

When you say its gimp on Adept I lol'd.

In Adept dual wielding you basically kill things in two power attacks.

And since you're an archer and do not like to sneak, I suppose you bring a companion with you at all time. Gear him/her up in full heavy armor/sword&board, you'll be good.

Also you mentioned dual-wielding warrior and combat rogue, they don't parry or dodge attacks, they just trade blows with enemies and out DPS them.

I got bored of flying through things so I got my Assassin to wear only hide/leather/iron armor... (mix) I decided to test my dual wielding capabilities against an entire city. I won. It's not so hard. You wait for the downstroke from the enemy and then lunge in before quickly backing out. If it's some lightly armored foe, just sit there and dual flurry them to pieces.