The Elder Scrolls: Online

Jonlissla

Vagrant,

I agree about the griefers. Lots of attention has been (and continues to be) paid to prevent them from destroying the game for everyone. Kill-stealing has been addressed many times. I'm sure it could be done here, but I'm also sure it won't be easy.

As far as sitting in a store - some people love to sit and do the same thing over and over if there is a game reward for it. Camping spawn sites, for example. And some people like to craft or even just dance (like the entertainers in SWG.) I can easily imagine a blacksmithing role in Oblivion where people gathered firewood, manned the bellows, and beat on an anvil to create high-end armor that they could sell. And when a player/customer came in the door, they'd go to the counter to make the transaction.

Again, I'm sure this could be done - and they'd probably get it wrong the first few times. But someone will get it right, and they'll get rich off of it. (Or, at least the game owners/investors will.)

-Jumonji

Edit: A nice touch would be to have NPC's that you could hire to man the store and sell your stuff while you're out mining ore and gathering firewood for the furnace... or just AFK.

Just remember everyone - the online division of Zenimax is called Zenimax Online Studios, not Bethesda Softworks. If anyone is going to be making an Elderscrolls MMO it will be Zenimax Online Studios, so stop referring to Bethesda when you talk about an Elderscrolls MMO.

They discussed this new MMO several times on the PCGamer podcast, and the most recent mention reported some feedback from Bethesda, who apparently said that the registration was more out of protection of their Elder Scrolls IP than any actual plans to develop such an MMO. The thinking being that should they ever decide to take up such a project and the domain was already registered, they'd have to go through a lot of hassle (and potentially lose a good deal of money) in securing it then. Either that or it could be developed into an actual third-party website which could misrepresent their game series entirely.

This makes sense to me and honestly that could be all this is. Then again, you never really know. Personally I would hate to see it get turned into an MMO since it might not only not be a good game but it could put the future of the series, as far as its single player games go, in jeopardy. Bethsoft has always shown a real dedication for TES games to remain single player only, so that combined with their PR may indeed mean there isn't anything to this after all.

TES online will probably be a significant departure from what we've come to expect from the games. Like pretty much every MMO, the player will probably be this unimportant person who does stuff, but never actually affects the world in any way. Because afterall, if someone is allowed to get their group of people together, slaughter off an entire town, there wouldn't be much of a game left for those who aren't part of that group. It'll probably be a bit of a disappointment really since Bethsoft will be forced to create areas which havn't been given much attention, and do a poor job of it since they would be aiming for the average MMO gamer (who only sticks around to grind levels and occasionally go on a group raid). I think TES is just best off as a single player game, with its modding community intact. Honestly, if it wasn't for the modding possibilities the game would kinda suck, and most of us would be beating our heads against the wall trying to mod for NWN2. I don't play WoW for a reason. I like to do something reasonably meaningful with my efforts.

I agree with you completely on this one man.

Seems like they’re following the (other game companies) crowd instead of sticking with what has been great so far.

MB, you beat me to the punch http://www.whois.net/whois_new.cgi?d=elder...ine&tld=com

Seems like they're following the (other game companies) crowd instead of sticking with what has been great so far.

What evidence do you have of this? We know nothing except that they've bought the domain. Don't jump to conclusions! Every game company copies the last successful game except for those who don't.

-Jumonji

Seems like they're following the (other game companies) crowd instead of sticking with what has been great so far.

What evidence do you have of this? We know nothing except that they've bought the domain. Don't jump to conclusions! Every game company copies the last successful game except for those who don't.

-Jumonji

I second that :thumbsup: - just because a game developer buys a domain IE www.examplegameonline.com, doesn't mean they're thinking about making a new online game of a successful series. I personally abhor the thought of an online TES. So, STOP TALKING ABOUT IT ALREADY! You're driving me nuts :wallbash:

Archived