No leveling from "secondary skills" (like smithing)

saneroot

As my first character I had alchemy/enchanting/smithing that I leveled all the time, it was fun. Then I reached lvl 30+ without barely doing much fighting. All those skills leveled me up way too much, and I didn't

really want to be so high level so fast, considering this game's length.

They're "secondary skills", sort of. I don't really like getting levels with them, I have a lot of alchemy ingredients in my backpack with another character right now, but I'm hesitant to use them yet, as I would propably level over 5 levels just by that. Same goes for smithing and enchanting. Is it just me, or would it be better if those skills wouldn't level up your character at all? Insteads we'd get levels with other skills, such as the fighting ones/all magic. Maybe if that's not enough on the long run, have one of the crafting ones give levels, but leave the others out.

The only leveling mods I could find were ones that slowed the leveling of certain skills, but I still want to get skill-levels in those skills, and even if it's slower I'd level up a lot. So I ask you, could someone create a mod like this? Surely I can't be the only one who thinks it would balance the leveling speed nicely in Skyrim.

(TL;DR: I request a mod where you don't get level ups from alchemy/enchanting/smithing, but still get skill-ups with them normally. With an alternate version that has one of the skills give level-ups.)

Any help is appereciated.

Huh? You want to level up using alchemy and blacksmithing and stuff, but you dont want to? Your request is very unclear... the slower leveling mod would be across the board too as I understand it.

I wouldnt mind a mod that slowed the leveling down on crafting skills so that you dont Ding (physical levels) every few minutes if you do a lot of crafting.

Huh? You want to level up using alchemy and blacksmithing and stuff, but you dont want to? Your request is very unclear... the slower leveling mod would be across the board too as I understand it.

I wouldnt mind a mod that slowed the leveling down on crafting skills so that you dont Ding (physical levels) every few minutes if you do a lot of crafting.

Then I said it wrong, I meant I want to level up alchemy/enchanting/smithing skills WITHOUT getting actual character levels for my character by doing so. The way it is, if I get, say 20 skill level up for all crafting skills while I'm spending time at a town, I'll gain 10+ character-levels. I want to level up with other skills like one-hand/block/whatever.

Edited by saneroot

It'd be better to re-write it, and have separate systems.

One for primary skills and one for crafting skills.

You level both separately and get primary skill perks for primary levels and crafting perks for crafting levels, but only primary levels would count towards your overall level and how encounters are leveled..

TO balance out the possibility of grinding the crap out of crafting so you're wearing legendary daedra armour at level 1 (somehow), you'd probably limit the max crafting level to around your current primary level.

Basically, instead of level 30 because half your skill level is crafting, you'd be level 15 from primary skills and have a max potential of about level 15 crafting.

Edited by Midicow

You level both separately and get primary skill perks for primary levels and crafting perks for crafting levels, but only primary levels would count towards your overall level and how encounters are leveled..

TO balance out the possibility of grinding the crap out of crafting so you're wearing legendary daedra armour at level 1 (somehow), you'd probably limit the max crafting level to around your current primary level.

Basically, instead of level 30 because half your skill level is crafting, you'd be level 15 from primary skills and have a max potential of about level 15 crafting.

Sounds good, I suppose you mean crafting perks would have some sort of a seperate leveling system that would work outside the character-leveling? Sounds complicated to do, but it's a great idea.

If one was to make this mod, that'd be great. I'd also be grateful to have a temporary mod so the crafting skill character-levels were off, while waiting for the mod. I'm quite anxious to level my crafting skills. :P

Sounds good, I suppose you mean crafting perks would have some sort of a seperate leveling system that would work outside the character-leveling? Sounds complicated to do, but it's a great idea.

If one was to make this mod, that'd be great. I'd also be grateful to have a temporary mod so the crafting skill character-levels were off, while waiting for the mod. I'm quite anxious to level my crafting skills. :P

You could make a script that keeps your current level, and while you gain skills, tracks what percentage of the level was contributed by non primary skills.

If the percentage was over say, 30% when you leveled, then it would setlevel back to previous level.

You could make a script that keeps your current level, and while you gain skills, tracks what percentage of the level was contributed by non primary skills.

If the percentage was over say, 30% when you leveled, then it would setlevel back to previous level.

Sadly I have no experience with such things. In the mean time though now that you mentioned being "locked on a certain level", maybe I can try to find a way to somehow set the maximum level to my current

level and do the crafting I want to do, then set it back to normal, and repeat every time I want to level my crafting. Easier said than done I suppose.

EDIT: I imagine we won't be getting anything of the like before creation kit, which is understandable. I evaded the issue for now, by using the console command "player.setlevel <level>" and changing my level back to whatever it was before crafting. It's definetely not a perfect way since you still get a skill point, but it's unlikely I'd reach the very level cap so I won't be getting any extra skill-points. It's just a temporary solution for those who want to stay a reasonable level with crafting.

Just posted that incase someone else is desperate for a solution.

Edited by saneroot

This is a great idea, and fixes one of the few changes from Oblivion that I don't like.

Why should leveling smithing/alchemy/lockpicking/ETC level my character, therefore making enemies tougher yet keeping me at the same combat efficiency as before?

I feel they should have either just made it more RPG'ish in the sense that only killing enemies gives experience towards player level, or leveling -combat-(including Destruction/Conjuration spells) skills increases player level.

Leveling is just plain broken in this game, just like it was in Oblivion and FO3, although I think it's even worse this time around.

I was over level 10 before I left Riverwood. By the time I started doing quests outside of Whiterun, I was over level 20. Mostly due to a combination of pickpocket and lockpicking. At the same time, other skills, such as Speech, Illusion and Alteration, have all increased at a snail's pace. I am now level 44, and I haven't even been to at least four of the major hold cities (Falkreath, Markath, Morthal, Dawnstar). In a game that effectively softcaps at 50.

If you restrict leveling from "secondary skill", you're quickly run into three major issues:

• Perk starvation.
  • What exactly constitutes a "secondary" skill?
  • Hard level-cap, as you'll max out your "primary" skills.

As much as I loathe the new levelling system, it is really fundamentally broken if you arbitrarily decide that Skill X is not supposed to contribute to levelups. You will end up with very high "secondary" skills, without gaining the levels necessary to get perk points to spend on the available perks. You will also quickly hit a hard cap in levels. There is also the issue of class de-diversification. Is Speech a secondary skill? It levels slowly as hell. Is Illusion? Is Alteration? Both can potentially contribute to quick levels if you're a mage and spam certain spells on yourself. Lockpicking, Pickpocketing and Stealth are all definitely "secondary" skills that makes you level unbelievably fast. That's almost all Thief-skills right there.

So while I understand where you're coming from, having no leveling from "secondary" skills is a bad, bad idea. What we need is a way to fine-tune levelling of independent skills, such as increasing (or decreasing, depending on how you see it) the levelling coefficient of Pickpocket, Smithing and Enchanting, and decreasing (or increasing) the levelling coefficient of skills like Speech.

Edited by Rebelicious