Illusion Specialization Viable?

Acap3lla

I am thinking of making my next character specialize in Illusion. I don't know what I'm going to do along with Illusion, but I want Illusion to be my basis. I might go one-handed/sneak or maybe destruction. I'm just wondering how effective the Illusion spells are throughout the course of the game.

I am currently level 51 and most normal enemies are still affected by my illusion spells ( with the relevant perks).

Sadly, the tougher enemies like draugr deathlords are generally too high lvl to be affected, limiting Illusions usefulness against the enemies where you'd need it most.

It's fun though and a great way to deal with multiple weaker enemies but you'll need something else to take care of the tougher enemies (i use archery which works well)

I've specialized in illusion. 4 perks in(novice apprentice, adept, expert), but only because I don't have mch mana. And the 3 perks to get silent casting so I don't draw attention while sneaking around. Tempted to put the other three to have more of an impact on high level mobs with the frenzy and such. Playing as an assassin. Also at level 51.

I can say the calm spells have saved my skin when being chased by a bear. Man those things are fast.

I just got access to the invisibility spell. Which can make you an unstoppable throat sliter.

I have a vampire Illusionist-Assassin named Armand that is on about level 30 right now (Vampirism 25% bonus to sneak and illusion... yay). I haven't gotten hit ONCE, and in a battle against 10 opponents I only need to stain my blade 1 time, on the remaining member of the group who just spent his last minutes killing all his best friends in cold blood.

It's viable as all ****, and you feel really badass doing it.

I've specialized in:

Illusion

One-Handed (only got the damage increase ones)

Alteration (Detect Life and Paralyze, mostly for flavour really, don't need it)

Sneak (right tree-branch until Dagger specialization.)

I can say it works against pretty much everything, and if you run into something it doesn't work against you can always just cast Invisibility and run away, and then come back and stab him again.

Dragons are a major problem since no Illusion spells really work against them, and you rarely get the opportunity to sneak up on them. However, considering that dragons are easy as hell for most other character I just enjoy this; makes dragons actually boss-fights for me.

Extra tip: You can use calm on an enemy for free sneak attacks against him. Always hold Calm in your left hand in case the enemy survives your first strike, and he will go back to his business and you can stabby him in the neck again. Calm is your panic-button really, keep it equipped while roaming the lands in case something surprises you.

Edited by Adrius2