How much should I be stealing?

musiclover7

Is there any reason not to steal, other than that I can get thrown in Prison? I mean.. If I find myself alone in a room upstairs in a palace, with no one around, can I take things without repercussion? I am just trying to get an idea of the drawbacks before I go rogue..

The biggest drawback is that you have limited sell options for stolen loot. It's very easy to steal yourself over encumbered all day long but going back and forth to the few fences gets very tedious very quickly.

So I limit myself to stealing gold (I just have to look in every closet and cupboard and chest for every penny), gems, smithing material and high tier weapons and armor. And everything that looks unique of course. I love the little statues. :wub:

i really wish we had some awesome place we can rip off that is atleast challenging, anybody remember the house vaults in Vivec? i really liked robbing the house house's treasures lol, awesome loots and those damn ordinator's are better then our puny guards, mournholds even better ><

The best thing to steal is jewellery since it's so light and so valuable. As you get better at pickpocketing, you'll start to find more valuable things on people. It's pretty common for an NPC to have a necklace on them that weighs something like 0.3 and is worth about 1000 gold (though it won't sell for that much until your Speech gets naturally higher from you selling and buying things). Also, at maximum level you can pickpocket peoples' armour and weapons off them so they're naked and unarmed, and then kill them much more easily. I've stolen a ridiculous amount of stuff off people, though the stuff you find lying around is less often useful (it's only if it's books or armour that I tend to take it - but even then, I've got the best armour from quests and joining different guilds).