Beth messed up our elves!

Lehcar

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I love the way they look now. Very Morrowind styled. I'm more upset with the lack of hairstyles and the CharGen in general. It's been "dumbed down" way too much. But, I think I did a decent job at my female Bosmer for the options that where given to us :)

Sounds like the people who don't like elves are just wanting anime-esque looking elves.....

Oh rubbish. Why is it that when anyone says anything uncomplimentary about what Bethesda have done with the elves, someone chucks out that old anime chestnut? Please do change the record. I wouldn't have a clue what an anime type elf looked like, since I have never been into anime.

@Lachdonin, I thought I had been extremely specific about what I hated about the elven faces. Namely the Romulan brow ridges and the hatchet shaped face, especially the lantern jaw and sunken cheeks which make it very difficult, with the Dunmer in particular, to make the females distinguishable from the males. I like the slanted eyes, different brow styles and to some extent the chiselled cheekbones, but feel that if I had more sliders to tweak the cheeks so they were a fraction less hollow, that I could make my female Dunmer look different from a male one. I'll load her up and do a screenie to show you what I mean about her looking a tad butch. I do quite like how my Altmer looks, and my Bosmer.

Yeah, that about the mouths is spot on, I despaired of the mouths until some variant textures and meshes came out for Oblivion.

This is an (oddly) interesting topic and I have enjoyed reading the posts in here. But it does prove my point I mentioned sometime earlier in here that everyone has their own perception on how they think an Elf / Elves look in their minds. In the classical sense, Elves were not that great..at least in the way they looked. Then LOTR, either the books or the movie ( and possibly earlier references) changed some folks perception on the subject. Admittedly I could be off base on this so give me a break. None the less, very interesting.

There is a lot of reference to Morrowind, you got me there as I have never played it. Looking through my library, I do have it ( geeez..it's still in the wrapper, never been opened) just never loaded it up so maybe I'll throw that on the old XP machine and see what you folks are talking about. :thumbsup:

Ah, see, now 'Hatchet Faced', 'sunken cheeked' and 'masculine' are discriptive terms i can deal with :P. Sometimes it sucks being an artist... and a writer... and a physicist, geologist, biologist, philospher, anthropologist, diplomat... One of these days i'm going to find something to do so i'm not all over the place, i swear.

Anyway, the hatchet face is clearly derived from the slender jaw and the generally more narrow face. You can broaden the chin and jaw, but i think that would just exagerate the sunken cheeks. I can agree that the cheeks are notably sunken, though i personally find that they accentuate the prominant cheekbones without maing the face look anorexic.

Masculine... well, i don't know... the heavier brow musculature on the Dunmer does cause some issues of identity, i suppose, but through the lower face i find they are suitable feminine. It may well be that the males are too feminine instead... Really i think a new lip texture would probably fix that whole issue, with maybe a slight smoothing of the brows... All while maintaining the TES elven features :P

OK, be prepared to be scared....I usually make a good looking toon, but Skyrim is defeating me so far.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l255/janepreddy/TESV2011-11-2219-14-06-36.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l255/janepreddy/TESV2011-11-2219-19-01-09.jpg

I had to use warpaint cunningly on the Dunmer to break up the sunken effect on her cheeks and the masculine chin. After reading some of the in game books in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, I have this idea of Dunmer females as quite the sultry sirens, certainly Barenziah was a lively lass according to the books about her....

The Altmer is a perfect illustration of how badly Beth do mouths. She would be quite attractive if the mouth was about the same size, but more defined.

I actually find the Dunmer to be rather fetching :P. The chin is rather broad, mind you... I am virturally positive that there is slider for chin width though, so that may be perfectly correctable?

The only thig that gets me about the Dunmer is probably a product of the war paint... It looks like she has a flat nose bridge, making for a lack of distinction between her forheard and nose...

Then again, the Dark Elf, with her angular jaw and somewhat critical expression reminds me of my girlfriend...

OK, be prepared to be scared....I usually make a good looking toon, but Skyrim is defeating me so far.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l255/janepreddy/TESV2011-11-2219-14-06-36.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l255/janepreddy/TESV2011-11-2219-19-01-09.jpg

I had to use warpaint cunningly on the Dunmer to break up the sunken effect on her cheeks and the masculine chin. After reading some of the in game books in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim, I have this idea of Dunmer females as quite the sultry sirens, certainly Barenziah was a lively lass according to the books about her....

The Altmer is a perfect illustration of how badly Beth do mouths. She would be quite attractive if the mouth was about the same size, but more defined.

WOW, this is the prettiest elf I have ever seen in Skyrim. I mean... I don't really care if elfs are deer-looking, cat-looking, wolf-looking, but pls not alien-looking. In the end, they are still mammals right? They have boobs~