Beth messed up our elves!

Lehcar

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to say, but my Mer looks beautiful. They have a more sophisticated face look instead of a round, high cheek boned face (they still have the high cheek bones, though). The Morrowind faces had a good idea, but only one of them was attractive, but now Bethesda has made them attractive.

The Mer didn't look too unique in Oblivion, but they still looked good, though. In Skyrim, they look better.

About the use of Mer. Orcs are Mer/Elves. They are just corrupted Mer that followed Trinimac. They are still considered to be Mer and 'Elven' in Skyrim as well. When you do Hermaeus Mora's quest, you have to get blood samples from all of the Mer (the Imperial that requests this refers to them as Elves).

But, I guess, using your logic, the Falmer aren't Mer anymore, either?

I like their new look. The new Mer look has a very different feel to it, like they are their own species (which they are). Their faces add a new grace to them. The Mer have a more serious look to them now. They're not humans, so why make them look just like humans?

Consistent with what? they were too ill defined in Arena and Daggerfall to be used as a reference so we're left Morrowind and Oblivion. Morrowind was restrained by the technology of the day, every race had angular heads, Oblivions looked the way they did because the developers didn't make any effort with the NPCs. Not that any of it matters because it's a fictional race in a fantasy game.

As for "WoW should be right up your alley" if you can't discuss things without insulting people maybe you stop, personal insults are what those incapable of a coherent argument have to resort to.

Consistant with the artwork. The TES artwork has ALWAYS portrayed Mer in a particular way, whether it was through concepts or published material. Morrowind was the first game that had the ability to represent the artwork, and it did so to the best of its ability. Oblivion, on the other hand, failed to represent, artistically, even its own concept art. Skyrim is a return to the original, and consistantly portrayed artworkd.

And if you're going to pull the 'Its all fictional, so they can do whatever they want whenever they want' card, you shouldn't even be here. That mentality implies a complete lack of regard for thematic, story and artistic cohesion which is part of a franchise universe. If thats not important to you, fine, but it is important to the universe, and my entire arguement is based on maintaining the universe.

As for the WoW thing, i have made one comment, one which is based on the fact that WoW constantly changes its imagery and background to suit the will of the community rather than maintaining internal consistancy, in almost 30 pages of discussion, which CAN be construed as insulting but lacks anything of the intent, while at the same time having made at least a dozen statements, based in literay philosophy, biology, artistic philosophy, as well as citing changes in the videogame market and design schemes, and you claim that i am incapable of a coherent arguement?

Yeah, elves the way they're meant is in LOTR...you look at Morrowind or Oblivion, with their cats called "elves" just shames elves. The elves in Skyrim vaguely resemble how they're intended. In TES3-4 they couldn't be rightly called elves.

This is an utterly falacious statement, both within the context of literature & Myth, and within the context of TES. The LOTR Elves, first off, don't represent what you see in the movies. Second, they are one of a particular 'type' of Elf which can be found in human mythic cycles, dating primarily to germanic traditions. Other historic representations to elves include those you see in the Harry Potter movies, as well as winged pixies, to barbaric, green skinned forest savages, and in the oldest depictions there are indistinguishable for humans. Within literature there are even more depictions, ranging from the WoW Night Elf to the Hellboy's haunting almost albino creatures. The term 'elf' is a catch all representation of any of literally hundreds of different types of creatures, the only unifying component of which is their non-human nature.

Within the TES, it should also be noted that these are NOT 'Elves' in the proper sense. They are Mer. In the same way that the Dwemer are called Dwarves, the common name of 'elf' is an almost derogatory name given to them by the Humans. It represents more of a human outlook regarding them and less of an absolute description of what they are and how they look.

You nailed this right on the head.

This thing with elves seems to be such a matter of personal taste, I really wish Bethesda had given us better creation options to keep everyone happy. Personally I like the new look on Dark Elves, I think it suits there characteristics but I HATE the new look of the Altmer and Bosmer. I would like the Altmer to have more ethereal beauty and the Bosmer to be a little bit cuter looker. I liked Ginnyfizz's wood elf, I come from the same country so probably have this look ingrained in my imagination from the culture and folklore over here.

At least in Oblivion you could tell the different races of elves apart from one another, in Skyrim they all look the same but with different skin tones. They have also made Wood Elves too tall.

I think the Altme look perfect in Skyrim. Their new look fits their high standing, ancient lineage, elligance, and bearing. The reason, I'm guessing, that there weren't that many creation options was because each race has it's own type of look. In Oblvion, you could make a race look like a whole different one. I like how they restricted it and made them only 'just so'.

I think the Altme look perfect in Skyrim. Their new look fits their high standing, ancient lineage, elligance, and bearing. The reason, I'm guessing, that there weren't that many creation options was because each race has it's own type of look. In Oblvion, you could make a race look like a whole different one. I like how they restricted it and made them only 'just so'.

But they all look the same! Isn't this just a bit dull?

But they all look the same! Isn't this just a bit dull?

Where do you get that they all look the same? I can clearly tell the difference between all of the Mer races. They all have their own special eye colours, as well.