Project Cyrodiil: How and Why

IQ88

Matth, the thing is that Bethesda supports mods and doesn't maliciously attack them. They won't have any objection to people modding Skyrim to include other provinces, just like they didn't have a problem with the Elsweyr mod for Oblivion.

THey do not mind us making provinces that are not made as a game. There are reasons for this. Morroblivion got banned quite fast, because it is not approved by Bethesda. The same would go for making Oblivion for Skyrim. You "steal" a work.

I point to my example again.

Let's say Hammerfell is a random picture that I paint from scratch, getting no inspiration from something.

And let's say Oblivion is a famous picture.

Which one do you think I can paint "from scratch" and set up for viewing by everybody?

It is still against the copyright law. Most people only know parts of it, and follow the original "Make an asset from scratch is legal!". Which is true: However, ripping off an entire game is like copying a whole work. The game itself is as much a work as a famous painting.

Anything that could hurt their sales, or go around the EULA, is not approved by them. And going around Bethesda approving is quite idiotic, since we use THEIR game and THEIR tools to mod our games. They give us this for no "good" reason, and some people misuses that?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Luffi, would love to have some updates on this project if it actually comes to life. Is there any way I can keep track other than the forums? This is a great idea, and Skyrim's engine would give a more lore-oriented feel to Oblivion's Cyrodiil. Hope it makes it far.

Another thing, I see why people has started saying names like Morroskyblion and stuff like that , but really, those names are retarded lol This type of mod should be named Tamriel Alive or Tamriel Reborn, something elegant and non confusing. =P

Also, wouldnt it be legal if were remaking cyrodiil 200 years later and not the exact cyrodiil from Oblivion? I mean, its like a reborn version of the region, not just a copy from the original game.

Edited by pikoso26

We aren't remaking Oblivion in Skyrim, we're creating a modern day Cyrodiil, with new NPCs, new questline, new areas, updated cities, etc. we are NOT hurting sales of Oblivion, we are helping keep Skyrim alive with new content.

As for keeping track of the projects, The Nirn Project is the site for all the projects together, check it out here: http://nirn.wikidot.com/

Edited by Luffi456

We aren't remaking Oblivion in Skyrim, we're creating a modern day Cyrodiil, with new NPCs, new questline, new areas, updated cities, etc. we are NOT hurting sales of Oblivion, we are helping keep Skyrim alive with new content.

As for keeping track of the projects, The Nirn Project is the site for all the projects together, check it out here: http://nirn.wikidot.com/

Exactly

Which I am not quoting. I am talking about the people wanting to "Link original asset!" and "make Oblivion! Just make the models from scratch!".

That said, nobody really knows if Bethesda approves of stuff like this either. I see little problem in it, if it is actually done right. By that I mean the cities are warntorn, and not just taken the concept from Oblivion and grinded down with some texture. No, it needs to be done well.

And I agree with Pikoso: Calling it something like "Skyblivion" would be idiotic. You make Cyrodiil, not Oblivion. Making Oblivion would get it banned on sight. There is QUITE a different between Obivion and Cyrodiil. One is a game, a concept, and the other is a province in Tamriel.

Oh well, if you keep this under strict ruleset, you might get away with making cyrodiil without too much problems. But as soon as a city is remade 95% as it is in Oblivion, which is as wrong lore-wise as can be, things can go bad.

And there is no "porting" of models from Oblivion or "linking" of old asset, then it should also go good.

Doing any of these things is the same as Morroblivion, which are banned.

Good luck nevertheless.

Edited by Matth85

Good luck with the Nirn project, i will follow your progress. It looks promising.

In the other hand is just a mod /add / complement/ to skyrim, they will give to the community the tools to do that so i dont think is illegal or similar if the community is trying to do the best for his game.

Destroyed? Why not ... Something more, like bigger more developed cities and stuff like that?

The Thalmor invasion was recent. They actually took Cyrodiil for a while, but the emperor and some men managed to get out. They got their men from Hammerfell back and managed to take back the Imperial City.

And any logic would say war/invasion = bad condition.