How immersed do you play?

Goliath978

I don't make a conscious effort to play in a certain way, I just end up doing it because I get so immersed. I make my char look like me, sleep at night, don't run if I don't need to, make every single decision as if I'm in the world. Not a conscious effort, just happens.

I see most people play it pretty loosely, and feel sorry about how much they're missing by just steamrolling and running through everything and the environment. And don't get how you can play as a khajit or something.

In 12 hrs of play all I've done is go to Whiterun, talk, do 2 dungeons, take Lydia to rorikstead, then go alone to markarth. About a week in game. Some peeps by this time would've finished A ton of quests and seen all the cities. What a waste

Edited by Goliath978

You make it sound as though your way of playing a video game is superior to others. I personally do not have that much time to play, so when I do play, I go through dungeons, maybe complete a quest or two, and sell my loot to the merchants. I do tend to spend a lot of time in one place, and have yet to explore the western half of Skyrim.

I treat each character as a unique person, and let my decisions be based on what I feel they would do. I get imersed in the story and the world my character is creating, but I don't play through as if it's actually me, y'know?

I do focus on quests that I feel would benefit my characters story. For instance, I'm playing a fairly power hungry, gold hungry kahjiit thief right now. The first thing I did was power through the thieve's guild quest line to buy the house in Solitude because that fit the characters background.

I mean, I take my time on most things, but there's certain things I feel is important for that particular character so I will focus on it and get it done fairly quickly.

I got interrupted half way through writing this so I apologize if it makes no sense.

This topic is my challenge in the game. This game really deserves playing as if you are in the world, staying away from fast travel, resting each night, experiencing the world as you encounter it instead of just running through quests and rushing to destinations. One night I just read books. I loved it. But then I see my time draining away, and my old habits of finishing one last quest kick in. My inventory is packed and I want to rush back home to put it in my storage instead of dropping it, or rush to that enchanting table to add fire to a new glass bow I picked up.

Immersion is very possible in this game, but it is hard breaking old habits. But being at Lvl 20 and having only discovered what appears to be a small portion of the game universe, I'm tempted to restart and truely role play my way through the experience. This game has a rare quality that would make the 'slowing down' more rewarding.

Some folks really get into their games and in a silly sort of way I admire that. But I don't have the time to stay at the computer playing my game (but sometimes I wish I could) Right now, I'm not even playing the storyline, I'm just out exploring, building my character up, and frankly, still learning the game. I'm going to take my time with this one and not rush. I have always tried to put a bit of myself into my characters, but that isn't possible with this game, the character customization fell short of my expectations. None the less, having a great time and enjoying the game so far. :biggrin:

You make it sound as though your way of playing a video game is superior to others. I personally do not have that much time to play, so when I do play, I go through dungeons, maybe complete a quest or two, and sell my loot to the merchants. I do tend to spend a lot of time in one place, and have yet to explore the western half of Skyrim.

It is superior...and since I'm a...ahem...PC GAMER I too am superior.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jnwqezP86Ww/Td_WTq9dxoI/AAAAAAAAAiI/GUzKdsxq4XQ/s1600/pcgamingmasterrace.jpg

Half sarcasm half true.

Y'know, I try to focus on the main quest sometimes and then I go "Hey, what's over there" or "This quest looks like more fun right now". I even tend to do a lot of "Oh crap, there's a dragon" so I end up trudging back somewhere with all the dragon loot because once again I came across him where there's absolutely nowhere to safely store them for a couple days and I've got a pretty full load anyways.

Yeah, I play me, too. But I'm bored with myself in RL, so I like to do fantastic things in games.

My first time through a game like this, I guess I feel that I am on an overall "mission" to help/save/kill/find/whatever. This is my duty and I need to hurry because people's lives are at stake. I kind of go along in pace with the quest I am on and the people I'm with. Slow isn't always the best way to enjoy something ;) But I did climb the 7,000 steps instead of quick-linking. The journey is part of the game, to me.

There is a lot to soak in Skyrim, and I am taking breaks to explore -- which has yielded immense rewards. Now I can complete my quests even better.

The second time through the game, I will take my time. Go where no man has gone before. But I don't walk much (god is it slow) but I will if I want to take a good long look at an area.

Some people read every word in every book. They'll find a bench, sit, and read for an hour, taking notes. Others want to experience the surprises of the game first-hand and "wing it."

However you enjoy it, that is the right and best way for you. There is no "best" way to play.

Edited by AbleGnome