Civil War Overhaul Mod Glitching Up

NateDaBeast

Hello,

I've been trying out the Civil War Overhaul mod and have enjoyed it so far, but I'm running into some problems with it.

I tried going as stormcloaks and I got to the battle of whiterun but whenever we started attacking once I got the drawbridge down and we went inside whiterun, the game glitched up. Civilians were walking around, but there were no stormcloak soldiers at all. I went to Dragonsreach and everyone was behaving normally, not attacking or anything.

I then decided to go as the imperials in a whole new save. After doing so I get to the Message of Whiterun Quest on the stage called "Report to Legate Quentin Cipius", I go to him and he says that they're attacking the cities and to get to the frontline. I go outside and everything is normal and no one is attacking.

I've tried using console commands to fix the game and used LOOT manager to check if I'm having any errors or missing something.

Not sure what the issue is so someone please do help me.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by NateDaBeast

Let's start with the basics. Have you read the following from the mod's page?

"If you do not have any of these, install them: BOSS*, SSME, ENBoost, SkyUI, SKSE, and the Unofficial Patches^. *BOSS has been replaced by LOOT these days. ^The Unofficial Patches have been replaced by the Unofficial Legendary Patch these days.

Sort your load order with BOSS LOOT.

YOU MUST START A NEW GAME. No exceptions."

As you can see from above, this mod has not been updated for several years. This, in itself, is not bad, but the mod author himself has pointed out that CWO will only work under very specific conditions. You simply cannot skip any of the steps/warnings/conditions he has listed on his mod's page. Be aware that any saves you have are probably not going to be usable now that you are experiencing problems. Remember, CWO only works on NEW games.

If you've done the above, write back here with your system specs and mod list and perhaps we can figure out the problem.

Let's start with the basics. Have you read the following from the mod's page?

"If you do not have any of these, install them: BOSS*, SSME, ENBoost, SkyUI, SKSE, and the Unofficial Patches^. *BOSS has been replaced by LOOT these days. ^The Unofficial Patches have been replaced by the Unofficial Legendary Patch these days.

Sort your load order with BOSS LOOT.

YOU MUST START A NEW GAME. No exceptions."

As you can see from above, this mod has not been updated for several years. This, in itself, is not bad, but the mod author himself has pointed out that CWO will only work under very specific conditions. You simply cannot skip any of the steps/warnings/conditions he has listed on his mod's page. Be aware that any saves you have are probably not going to be usable now that you are experiencing problems. Remember, CWO only works on NEW games.

If you've done the above, write back here with your system specs and mod list and perhaps we can figure out the problem.

BOSS says that you should use LooT instead because it is no longer maintained.

SSME,ENBoost shouldn't have an effect on the mod. I have SkyUI and SKSE already installed. Don't know what or where the unofficial patches are either.

It's obviously something to do with the mod. I even asked a friend about it and he says he just has SKSE installed and the mod works.

Err, yes. I don't mean to sound grumpy, but I pointed out above that BOSS has been replaced by LOOT and that the old Unofficial Patches have been replaced by the newer Legendary Unofficial Patch.

My point is that the mod is old and has not been updated in years. It can work (as your friend stated) but you MUST follow the steps carefully.

So, did you:

A) Install SSME, ENBoost, SkyUI and SKSE? I realize that SSME and ENBoost are no longer necessary in general, but they do not hurt (other than to use in some plug-in slots) and the mod author explicitly states HIS mod needs them.

B) Start a NEW game, THEN activate CWO?

If you've done these two things, then let's look at your rig's stats (CPU, GPU, RAM) and your LOOTed load order of mods to see what else we can determine.

Also, could anyone else that has experienced this issue (and found a solution) jump in here with some advice please?

It's obviously something to do with the mod. I even asked a friend about it and he says he just has SKSE installed and the mod works.

This is not a very good approach IMO.

I'm sure it's possible to run many mods without strictly following the author's instructions if everything just happens to fall into place for you. However, that's basically the equivalent of gambling and I would never recommend using somebody else's experience of installing a mod incorrectly as justification for installing your mod incorrectly - your game may work fine or it may crash and burn.

The first step to troubleshooting any mod is ensuring that you've installed it per the author's instructions - adapting anything that is clearly and undeniably out of date (such as BOSS vs LOOT). This is especially true for complex mods like CWO.

Also, since you stated that you've no idea what the unofficial patches are, I wouldn't be surprised if that's causing issues for you. Pick this up - http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71214. It fixes an innumerable number of game bugs.