Why do PC gamers look past all of the greatness in Skyrim?

Moonlightsong

not looking past anything, quite simply it's not what it could have been if it had been PC only. It's not even what it could have been if properly ported...if beth even gave a little work to just the UI. No game is perfect, every game usually needs patches, tweaks, updates to address balance, CTD's, drivers and/or hardware configs that cause instability in the engine.

Bethesda however expects the modders, as history has shown to do that work for them to polish the PC port, to create more sales, give the game longer life and get nothing from beth. i expect a company to do it themselves not expect people they don't even pay to do it for them.

edit: here's an example perhaps you can understand about 'entitlement' to complain

you buy a car, tv, console, pc, sound system...with as many bugs as pc users have faced...do you just shrug it off? say 'that's okay, they tried to do a good job'? spend top dollar for what's supposed to be premium and you get a lemon? yeah...it works sometimes, amazingly well even...then sometimes it just quits, no reason just boom. if that was your car you'd be complaining too...why should software get a pass? just because you like the game or the company?

Edited by DeadSpace

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one thing that always bothers me to no end: The word grateful or ungrateful when it comes to products. And lets face it, this is a product. Not something that is given out of the kindness of anyone's heart, but for the purpose of making money.

That said, I like Skyrim. A whole lot better than I liked vanilla Oblivion. But there are sore spots. A lot of them. Most have been pointed out before, like the AI or the menus that are so obviously designed for console and are a pain in the backside to use on the PC. And I might add, there's also the quest design. At least for certain factions.

This is one of the most unpolished games I've ever played:

-Frequent random lag spikes

-Frequent crashes to desktop.

-Poor user interface.

-Many bugs, some of them game-breaking.

All together these make the game almost unplayable until a patch comes out to fix them.

I'm a bit tired of modders having to turn Bethesda's excrement into gold.

There's one thing that always bothers me to no end: The word grateful or ungrateful when it comes to products. And lets face it, this is a product. Not something that is given out of the kindness of anyone's heart, but for the purpose of making money.

Couldn´t agree more.

I am a "Senior Oldschool" Gamer. I wouldn´t categorize myself as PC or Console Gamer because I hate to limit myself for no good reason. Both Platforms have their merits.

Let me try to shed some light why People playing on the PC criticize a good game which Skyrim is.

Its not what is but what could be. We know that the Console Hardware is 5 years old and that todays PC Hardware is a lot faster. Yet we have a game that looks nearly the same on both.

People are not dumb, they understand the Marketing and Business necessities for such a move but that doesn`t prevent frustration. Lets take the UI for example. Its optimised for Gamepads and I am sure, it makes a good job on consoles but on PC with Mouse and Keyboard....well you instictly know it could be better. The Textures next, they look fine if you dont bother but if you look closely they are "suboptimum".

I dont care if I have the right Hardware, I dont care if I can play it or not, I just want a game like this to be as sophisticated as it can be. I want a game like this to set new standards, best possible Graphics that would still look stunning in low details, best Interface, best AI, best Controls and using every resource its Platform offers.

Gaming once was a Competition of who can make the best game, today its a competition who can make the most money. Thats what people are "ungrateful" about and not just Skyrim.

Skyrim is good...it could have been Great!

I want to take this time to talk to you, forum.

To everyone who's convinced this game is not great:

Your complaint, if applied to anything else (let's say a book), is the stupidest thing I've read from this forum.

"The book was great, there was a great story to it. But the cover art sucked, so it's not nearly as good as it could have been."

You're playing in the most greedy, selfish, unfathomably stupid gaming market since the late 80's, and someone comes around with a golden story that you have say in and all you have to complain about are nostalgia factors from an old game, the typical Bethesda bugs that should have come to no surprise. Also, it doesn't have top notch graphics.

If you don't care about actually playing the game, but would rather it be some smoothed out eye candy, I'm going to assume your stupidity has rendered you an atrociously dull person to be around. Your reading record can be recorded in a standard Word document's first line.

You probably also thought Crysis was a great game.

Give a gamer a shining hollow gold bar and they'll go fanatical. Give a gamer a normal bar of gold with smudges or dirt, and they'll complain about how dirty it is.

Edited by dwellufool

You're playing in the most greedy, selfish, unfathomably stupid gaming market since the late 80's, and someone comes around with a golden story that you have say in and all you have to complain about are nostalgia factors from an old game, the typical Bethesda bugs that should have come to no surprise. Also, it doesn't have top notch graphics.

Quod errat demonstrandum, as they say. That's what I meant with grateful or ungrateful when it comes to products.

A consumer has the right to criticism. A product isn't a labor of love. The consumer pays, the consumer is entitled to their opinion. And its not as if anyone had said its a bad game. Everyone said, there's room for improvement. And there is, as the valid points easily show.

I want to take this time to talk to you, forum.

To everyone who's convinced this game is not great:

Your complaint, if applied to anything else (let's say a book), is the stupidest thing I've read from this forum.

"The book was great, there was a great story to it. But the cover art sucked, so it's not nearly as good as it could have been."

If you don't care about actually playing the game, but would rather it be some smoothed out eye candy, I'm going to assume your stupidity has rendered you an atrociously dull person to be around. Your reading record can be recorded in a standard Word document's first line.

You probably also thought Crysis was a great game.

Give a gamer a shining hollow gold bar and they'll go fanatical. Give a gamer a normal bar of gold with smudges or dirt, and they'll complain about how dirty it is.

You clearly have not been reading what people have been saying. And the book analogy is more like this. The book you're reading so far seems good; but all of a sudden you find missing pages, unreadable text, the translations from the language it was originally written in sometimes don't make sense ie..(User Interface) making reading the book a chore.

The idea behind my own personal complaints, is that the game is -so- amazing, that it's hard to understand why these obvious flaws were introduced. Primarily, those flaws are due to the fact that their primary control scheme was the use of a controller rather than mouse and keyboard. Secondarily there are logical flaws. I don't know about you, but for me, when I smelt 25lbs of "solid" metal and end up with 5lbs of ingots, or smelt 2lbs of "plate" metal and end up with 3lbs of ingots I am flummoxed. The same, or worse, occurs when I tan leather from skins, and despite having reduced their water content and presumably scraped all the fur off of them, I end up with between 2 and nearly 4 times the weight in leather.

I enjoy good roleplaying, but when I cooked 40 pieces of gecko that weighed 1lb apiece, and ended up with 80 gecko steaks that weighed 1lb apiece in Fallout New Vegas (I am aware, that was Obsidian's game, and not under Bethesda's purview, but the same idea applies) my mind fairly boggles. How was I able to hop, skip, and jump the entire way to the fire (or tanning/stretching equipment) with so much meat that I was no longer able to move after it was cooked (replace with skins/tanned as needed). I am a bit of a foodie, so I can tell you that pre-cooked weight will always be higher when it comes to steaks.

Another bit that boggles my mind is that some ingredients weigh half a pound, but the end result of them mixed in a potion with other ingredients weighs... half a pound! Hell, giants toe and troll fat weigh 1lb IIRC, but mix them together and if you'd get a potion at all, it would weigh half a pound. These things are logical fallacies. In a game that is so beautiful, where they apparently spent a lot of time determining where snow would fall with the wind directions and the like, it seems like a major oversight to not see to these basic issues.

Perhaps we're picking at nits, but especially for the people who routinely mod Bethesda games, it must feel like Bethesda is relying on their efforts to make the wonderful game that Bethesda designed, to really make sense on a more fundemental level.

Edited by Clawdius69Talonious

You clearly have not been reading what people have been saying. And the book analogy is more like this. The book you're reading so far seems good; but all of a sudden you find missing pages, unreadable text, the translations from the language it was originally written in sometimes don't make sense ie..(User Interface) making reading the book a chore.

As someone who reads books, I don't think I'm alone in saying a book that has missing pages, bad translations and unreadable text gets a 9/10. I'll try it in another way.

The book uses verbs that people dislike, and that's the complaint.

Quod errat demonstrandum, as they say. That's what I meant with grateful or ungrateful when it comes to products.

A consumer has the right to criticism. A product isn't a labor of love. The consumer pays, the consumer is entitled to their opinion. And its not as if anyone had said its a bad game. Everyone said, there's room for improvement. And there is, as the valid points easily show.

I'd more than welcome criticism from a thought-out response. Which mean, your complaint isn't similar to telling mommy you didn't get the flavor of ice cream you wanted in one of three of your scoopings. The guy with the ying-yang sign who's name I've already forgotten had a good problem with the game. That being weight distribution.

Something like graphics, or a texture you dislike, or the way a race ended up looking, would fall under the ice-cream example.