News on skyim creation kit.

boomnuke35

"We'd like to see it happen," he said. "Because it works, it's how we made the game. I think it's something really cool about what we do, but 90% of our audience is on the consoles, so 90% of our audience can't even see this thing. So if we can solve that we'd like to."

90%?! This can't be right. :blink:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, so what. The people buying the games are the ones actually contributing to the game industry in such a way that more quality games of the same sort will be made in the future. Paying customers are "voting" for which kinds of games will be made tomorrow. And unfortunately, pirates are also casting votes on which games will NOT be made tomorrow.

So you gotta ask yourself (rhetorical question here BTW), are you voting for a better gaming industry of tomorrow or are you voting against it?

LHammonds

Pirates are a non-factor. If they couldn't get free games, they wouldn't get games, period. Only a small percentage of people who pirate games is prepared to buy those in case the games they wanted weren't available otherwise. Plus, most people can, maybe, afford one game a month. Considering the amount of games pirates download, it is actually impossible for them to purchase all of that.

So as far as I am concerned, all this talk about "pirates destroying the industry" is a red herring. What's destroying the industry is companies giving in to quick profit at the expense of quality, innovative gameplay, creativity. Which is why we see so many copy/paste games these days and so little truly new ideas.

Makes me miss the days of Elite, Planescape:Torment, Ultima, Daggerfall... nowadays if you want fresh stuff you have to go to the modding scene.

So no, it's not the pirates wrecking the gaming industry, it's the industry itself. It's not pirates making the industry move more and more to consoles because it's harder to crack games on them (it isn't), it's because it is easier to sell DLC on consoles and you don't have to worry about lowly amateurs making better stuff than your studio. Plus, for some reason, console gamers are prepared to fork over far more cash for their games than PC gamers are.

Edited by Mansh00ter

Pirates are a non-factor. If they couldn't get free games, they wouldn't get games, period. Only a small percentage of people who pirate games is prepared to buy those in case the games they wanted weren't available otherwise. Plus, most people can, maybe, afford one game a month. Considering the amount of games pirates download, it is actually impossible for them to purchase all of that.

So as far as I am concerned, all this talk about "pirates destroying the industry" is a red herring. What's destroying the industry is companies giving in to quick profit at the expense of quality, innovative gameplay, creativity. Which is why we see so many copy/paste games these days and so little truly new ideas.

Makes me miss the days of Elite, Planescape:Torment, Ultima, Daggerfall... nowadays if you want fresh stuff you have to go to the modding scene.

So no, it's not the pirates wrecking the gaming industry, it's the industry itself. It's not pirates making the industry move more and more to consoles because it's harder to crack games on them (it isn't), it's because it is easier to sell DLC on consoles and you don't have to worry about lowly amateurs making better stuff than your studio. Plus, for some reason, console gamers are prepared to fork over far more cash for their games than PC gamers are.

Like x Infinity. I don't know why people don't understand the torrenting issue. Just because someone torrented 1,000 songs doesn't mean they could actually pay for them... As for the whole copy paste issue of gaming its mostly because gaming has become a very social thing. Take FPS's for example. Everyone knows that MW3 is basically MW2 with different maps and some other variations. Yet not a whole lot of people want to play MW2 if all their friends are on MW3. The effect is greater on the consoles however because they have a better social network than the PC (Plus there are more console gamers). PC gamers = forever alone =(.

@Mansh00ter: I would like to add that a reasonable number of pirates actually do buy games. Only noteworthy games would get rewarded with a purchase, though, which explains why the current industry is still pissed at them.

Moving a little back to on-topic: I hope the steam DRM can be circumvented in a legit manner by the time the CK is released. I accidentally updated today and I had to get that old version of the exe that's been floating around to reinstate my large-address aware mod.

How are people creating mods without the Creation Kit?

Either by editing certain stuff with the old TESSnip versions, or by extracting assets from the .bsa archives and then replacing/retexturing them. That's about the only things you can do right now. Also, TESSnip editing is very limited.

When the kit becomes available will the nexus sites crash with all the traffic? They already have problems with the floods of people making little mods and all the people downloading them, wont the sites crash with even more traffic?

I've been dying to get my hands on Skyrim. Now that I have it, I'm dying to get my hands on the kit :(

My first objective is Proudspire- I absolutely love it, however there is not enough storage containers, and there is a room downstairs for the housecarl to sleep in, but it's full of useless crates and a bed roll?! Come on, Bethesda! This chick is willing to die for my character, yet she doesn't have a place to put her s*** and she's made to sleep on the floor like an animal!? That plus I want to "shave off" the hubby's mutton chops XD

I can't wait to play around with items and meshes; but most of all I can't wait to see nexus fill up with new resources to play with! The more my modding notebook fills up with ideas, the more impatient I become- it sucks