Steam updated EXE. now game crashes over and over again

FormerHuman

Yeah no doubt there, and wouldn't steam need permission to alter anything be for hand from Bethesda? I don't know...I'm really fed up with this and I don't know why, perhaps it's a sign of being addicted to Skyrim. But this just erks me to all heck and back. It should be far better managed than what it has been. :(

no, steam doesn't need their permission too alter the exe too only be able too run in steam, since its a steam game. normally steam seems too be an intelligent company, how wrong could I have been? surely they were awere of the issues with the game yet they still decided too patch so that 9/10 people cant play anymore. and yeah, your right it should've been menaged far better. especially from steams side since I have no doubt they could've atleast let us use the TEV.exe for aslong as needed, but no. too be honest, I do not see the point of it either, it wont stop pirating and certainly wont help anyone, I've heard of multiple cases where the game used too run great without the 4GB patch and now its broken. I hope I can find a older version of the TEV.exe floating around the web, and I will make sure too post it here if I do.

I just finished uninstalling it. It's already buried under cobble in the parts drawer, I am in no hurry to get it out again either, too bad I have the PC version if it wasn't I could get refunded from where I got it... I don't want to be told how and when I can play a game I paid money for, not to mention having to be forced into situations like this against my will. Steam has been taken off too, I'm pretty much done I was leary about the whole steam thing, and looks like I had a good reason to be. This whole screw up was like a punch in the jaw to everyone, and a kick to the butt too. It's like an insult. It is an insult, who am I kidding. My friend across the way can't get the game to install from the DVD now either, that may be something else entirely, but it just adds to the aggravation.I am going to sit back and listen to the new My Dying Bride and mope I suppose. :facepalm:

as a hardcore elder scrolls fan, I can't just see myself doing that, too much dreams and hope went into this game in my case, and its undeniable absolutely brilliant. the music, the ambiance etc. however, I understand how you feel about it completely. but too add too your comment about steams, in my personal experience, this is the first screw up steam has made, I only got good memories about steam, they reply quickly too support tickets etc. but again, if this is your first time using steam I understand that its an extreme bummer.

(sorry for my crappy english btw)

Edited by darkprecurser

I got the update and have had no problems with crashing at start up. The game does crash at random times during play like it was doing before. I did notice a change in dual weapons. Now both weapons are shown on your characters hip if you are dual welding unless I missed it in the past. From reading the posts here and those comments on the TESV.EXE program I think those of you who are experiencing problems with crashes are the ones using the TESV.EXE program downloaded from Skyrim Nexus to modify your memory allocation. I never used it since I tend to shy away from messing with memory allocation or programs from third parties that fix a particular game memory allocation problem. Anyways that's were I think the problem lies. I also don't think the Stream update is the upcoming patch from Skyrim developers due out after Thanksgiving. Hopefully that patch will fix a multitude of problems.

this happened to me as well, I was in game, exited, noticed an update (oh goody I thought) returned, and now, a crash to desktop in game (my first) and then the game will not even launch. I tried reverting to a backup of the original files, but with no luck.

as a hardcore elder scrolls fan, I can't just see myself doing that, too much dreams and hope went into this game in my case, and its undeniable absolutely brilliant. the music, the ambiance etc. however, I understand how you feel about it completely. but too add too your comment about steams, in my personal experience, this is the first screw up steam has made, I only got good memories about steam, they reply quickly too support tickets etc. but again, if this is your first time using steam I understand that its an extreme bummer.

(sorry for my crappy english btw)

I hope you're right because I did NOT use that mo, so we'll see...

Thanks for the heads up everyone. Since I don't care about Achievements I haven't be online with Steam since I plugged in my serial number after loading the game from disk. And I'm sure not about to go there now! It's a shame I won't be able to get any official Beth patches now but the game, for me at least, runs fine as it is (only 2 CTDs and 1 apphang in a week and a half of play.)

Beth finally releases a game that runs great for most people and then Steam comes along and screws it up?! I don't imagine Beth will be pleased...

I got the update and have had no problems with crashing at start up. The game does crash at random times during play like it was doing before. I did notice a change in dual weapons. Now both weapons are shown on your characters hip if you are dual welding unless I missed it in the past. From reading the posts here and those comments on the TESV.EXE program I think those of you who are experiencing problems with crashes are the ones using the TESV.EXE program downloaded from Skyrim Nexus to modify your memory allocation. I never used it since I tend to shy away from messing with memory allocation or programs from third parties that fix a particular game memory allocation problem. Anyways that's were I think the problem lies. I also don't think the Stream update is the upcoming patch from Skyrim developers due out after Thanksgiving. Hopefully that patch will fix a multitude of problems.

This is false though, a lot of people have reported never having downloaded the 4gb patch, and still getting a far worse experience, there's also others not having a problem at all, after applying it, not applying it, or downloading the game for the first time, there's just TOO MANY cases to blame it directly on the memory allocation fix (specially since it actually fixed many player's game, and made it playable)

Edited by elopjd

First of all, if you are raging so hard over steam, why do you keep using it after verifying your cd key? Just launch via TESV.exe in your steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim folder, you only need to use steam exactly one time, after that it's optional.

Second, you can disable auto-update for each game in steam. Do it if you want to use steam for whatever reason and don't want to autoupdate.

To do so, rightclick Skyrim in your library -> properties -> updates

Third, for the #51 error: Rightclick your skyrim in the steam library, go to properties -> local files -> check local files for errors.

Edited by saldu

Just had a random crash not even 20 minutes into the game and I don't even have that LAA mod or whatever its called. Can someone confirm that if we revert to the *OLDER* Skyrim.exe that it will run smoothly again? If so, where can we find the older Skyrim.exe file? Link?

First of all, if you are raging so hard over steam, why do you keep using it after verifying your cd key? Just launch via TESV.exe in your steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim folder, you only need to use steam exactly one time, after that it's optional.

How is this optional, when I try to load the game through this file, Steam automatically loads before it. Is there a setting to stop steam from loading itself before the game?