Modeler, Sculptor, and Animator Looking to do some overhauling

Viper2904

Just curious if someone could either, point me in the direction on how to do a couple things listed below or tell me how to rework some of this manually. I only ask because there appears to be a few mods out and I am quite interested in building some new custom content myself.

Currently, I do a lot of modeling and sculpting in 3ds Max and Zbrush (with a little Maya, Mudbox painting, and SoftImage when needed), mostly undead or morbid themes. I would like to rework a couple of the normal, diffuse, and spec maps in Skyrim (not entirely sure what all maps Skyrim engine supports yet...), especially the horses, high elves, orcs, and dark elves.

I also do a ton of skinning and animation in UDK using CAT and CAT muscles in 3ds Max. I would like to know how the bone systems work in Skyrim and if my workflow may work with the anticipated Skyrim construction kit. I do want to do some animation overhauls on quite a few assets, but not anytime soon as I am quite sure that will require refining an entirely new workflow. Mesh deformations on armor is just really annoying... I hope to find the armor meshes separate from the race mesh, but that will not be what I find I am sure.

The last thing is armor and weapons. These appear to be quite static so adding a ton of new weapons and armor may not be excessively difficult, but adding them to the games asset list "without" overriding meshes and textures already in use is a bit beyond my profession (this would also require adding new armor, weapons, and shields to the smithing tree as well I'm sure).

I am quite sure that this will be a massive effort, but static game assets and map reworks don't take me very long, as well as normal maps. I would just like some direction here if possible.

Just curious if someone could either, point me in the direction on how to do a couple things listed below or tell me how to rework some of this manually. I only ask because there appears to be a few mods out and I am quite interested in building some new custom content myself.

Currently, I do a lot of modeling and sculpting in 3ds Max and Zbrush (with a little Maya, Mudbox painting, and SoftImage when needed), mostly undead or morbid themes. I would like to rework a couple of the normal, diffuse, and spec maps in Skyrim (not entirely sure what all maps Skyrim engine supports yet...), especially the horses, high elves, orcs, and dark elves.

I also do a ton of skinning and animation in UDK using CAT and CAT muscles in 3ds Max. I would like to know how the bone systems work in Skyrim and if my workflow may work with the anticipated Skyrim construction kit. I do want to do some animation overhauls on quite a few assets, but not anytime soon as I am quite sure that will require refining an entirely new workflow. Mesh deformations on armor is just really annoying... I hope to find the armor meshes separate from the race mesh, but that will not be what I find I am sure.

The last thing is armor and weapons. These appear to be quite static so adding a ton of new weapons and armor may not be excessively difficult, but adding them to the games asset list "without" overriding meshes and textures already in use is a bit beyond my profession (this would also require adding new armor, weapons, and shields to the smithing tree as well I'm sure).

I am quite sure that this will be a massive effort, but static game assets and map reworks don't take me very long, as well as normal maps. I would just like some direction here if possible.

you can use CAT to make you animations. Basically go install the Havok content tools and you can export animations right now...

the thing is there is no nif support, so you are just going to be hanging on that front for various reasons.

You can also go and get started with some mesh content already... I got a custom weapon mesh in game the other day. But again limited mesh support, you have to juggle an obj in nifskope to get antthing. And not really possible to do skinned meshes... well it is and it isn't, so not really. Yet. When nif support from max gets up and running you will be able to more or less hit export and it should more or less have a working nif.

Edited by Ghogiel

Thanks!

So I need to look more into .nif and niftools then, good start there. Yea, i had a feeling that getting animations from max into skyrim was going to be a pain, but I didn't expect it to be too rough. I am quite curious to know if Bethesda has proprietary software for supporting .nifs if max doesn't support it. That's really the only reason I use max and maya so much. I actually prefer SoftImage. Or are you saying the niftools actually is that software?

I won't really be tackling this for a few more days as I have a lot more work to do first, but I would like this to be a high priority of mine. I will build some base meshes in the mean time. Do you have a shot of the meshes? I would like to know how dense I can go on static meshes and deformable meshes. I assume skyrim doesn't support statics as UDK does, so I expect some changes in my topology/decimation/optimization workflow.

As for modding being fun... sculpting and animating are my life and passion, that is what i do... the scripting and AI crap though... that is the part that sucks for me.

Well, I just started building a next-gen asset portfolio (rendering looks to be taking another month), but "our" new assets can be found on facebook, youtube, and deviantART. It is easiest to just search "The Freak Factory" on Facebook. We just started doing this, so there are not a lot of videos or renders just yet.

I just started specializing in animation into UDK converting CAT to bones so only have 4 fully rigged and animated characters, which all are not completely uploaded yet. I am the "human" anatomy sculptor and hard surface sculptor as well as 3ds Max base mesh modeler and material compositor (can't do a lot of the creative monster concepting, I just make sure topology is fit for animation and I do all the animation based on the muscle system and sketches the other sculptor provides).

I want to dedicate most of my free-time to Skyrim content creation. Just my own personal changes that I would not hesitate to share. However, we do still have a heavy workload and I will end up working on Skyrim assets without the rest of my colleagues' assistance.

Edited by Viper2904

Thanks!

So I need to look more into .nif and niftools then, good start there. Yea, i had a feeling that getting animations from max into skyrim was going to be a pain, but I didn't expect it to be too rough. I am quite curious to know if Bethesda has proprietary software for supporting .nifs if max doesn't support it. That's really the only reason I use max and maya so much. I actually prefer SoftImage. Or are you saying the niftools actually is that software?

I won't really be tackling this for a few more days as I have a lot more work to do first, but I would like this to be a high priority of mine. I will build some base meshes in the mean time. Do you have a shot of the meshes? I would like to know how dense I can go on static meshes and deformable meshes. I assume skyrim doesn't support statics as UDK does, so I expect some changes in my topology/decimation/optimization workflow.

As for modding being fun... sculpting and animating are my life and passion, that is what i do... the scripting and AI crap though... that is the part that sucks for me.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/imageshare/images/209926-1321904145.jpg

The optimisation side of this is nothing to worry about too much. Standard affair. Do more with less is better, but don't bee a poly scrooge because 1k triangle here and there makes little to zero difference. Especially statics...

Just be a GAME artist, like a boss, and do not use poser subD level 2 meshes. I get 5k tri for a 1st person hero weapon without batting a eyelid.....10k?. it better be using those triangles and I would still say all good :)

upwards of 20k for a complete character outfit. same for a creature. But if it's a dragon or some thing... twice that even.

Niftools has nothing to do with bethesda, its some dudes who have been working on the format as tools for it for many years now. bethesda has their own exporter, that is more functional for sure.