I'm about done with this game

Agatana

That stuff in a box causing slowdowns makes sense. I added 50k fireworks to my inventory with console command once while patch v1.5 was still new and my game froze every few seconds. I went back to an earlier save and the freezing stopped. I don't think this game likes the inventory of anything having thousands of items. I noticed that when I first get to sanctuary with presto gravey and pals the crafting menu is fast on any of the benches but over time as I keep dumping combat armor and guns into the workbench the crafting menu gets slower and slower. I'm gonna have to get used to the idea of just selling combat armor or scraping it instead of hoarding it lol. I think what really slows me down is the transition to far harbor and timing it just right so I get the dialogue choices I want from the factions I want them from. I don't want to tell dima I am from the brotherhood but instead from the railroad and do the courser mission but for some reason I couldn't get that mission last time I think it is because that railroad dialogue was missing.

That stuff in a box causing slowdowns makes sense. I added 50k fireworks to my inventory with console command once while patch v1.5 was still new and my game froze every few seconds. I went back to an earlier save and the freezing stopped. I don't think this game likes the inventory of anything having thousands of items. I noticed that when I first get to sanctuary with presto gravey and pals the crafting menu is fast on any of the benches but over time as I keep dumping combat armor and guns into the workbench the crafting menu gets slower and slower. I'm gonna have to get used to the idea of just selling combat armor or scraping it instead of hoarding it lol.

Would it be the same for ammo? I often have about 2000 fusion cells on me and my follower has about 5000-10000 rounds of 5mm. Then I have modded synth grenades and those synths (3 of them per grenade) have 2000 fusion cells each on them when they spawn. NPC's use ammo in my game which is why we all have an almost endless supply.

I don't really hoard guns and armor, though I do have a lot of junk stashed in workbenches.

I wonder if that could be causing some annoyances in my game. When I enter a new cell the game pauses for about 10 seconds then the WotC spawns start fighting in the distance, cars fall off overpasses and my grass loads at last, lol.

If I go from an interior to exterior my LOD sometimes turns blue but fades as I move forward. It usually happens well into a playthrough, so all that might be due to stuff I've collected during that time?

I should probably do a trial run without mods and an over-abundance of ammo, see if it still happens. Playing modless doesn't sound like much fun though, lol.

That stuff in a box causing slowdowns makes sense. I added 50k fireworks to my inventory with console command once while patch v1.5 was still new and my game froze every few seconds. I went back to an earlier save and the freezing stopped. I don't think this game likes the inventory of anything having thousands of items. I noticed that when I first get to sanctuary with presto gravey and pals the crafting menu is fast on any of the benches but over time as I keep dumping combat armor and guns into the workbench the crafting menu gets slower and slower. I'm gonna have to get used to the idea of just selling combat armor or scraping it instead of hoarding it lol.

Would it be the same for ammo? I often have about 2000 fusion cells on me and my follower has about 5000-10000 rounds of 5mm. Then I have modded synth grenades and those synths (3 of them per grenade) have 2000 fusion cells each on them when they spawn. NPC's use ammo in my game which is why we all have an almost endless supply.

I don't really hoard guns and armor, though I do have a lot of junk stashed in workbenches.

I wonder if that could be causing some annoyances in my game. When I enter a new cell the game pauses for about 10 seconds then the WotC spawns start fighting in the distance, cars fall off overpasses and my grass loads at last, lol.

If I go from an interior to exterior my LOD sometimes turns blue but fades as I move forward. It usually happens well into a playthrough, so all that might be due to stuff I've collected during that time?

I should probably do a trial run without mods and an over-abundance of ammo, see if it still happens. Playing modless doesn't sound like much fun though, lol.

My experience is that the effects only happen when you have an over-abundance of "stuff in boxes" or workbenches (for example, I had 1,518,663 rounds of various types in a box). The effect does not seem to be a result of what you are carrying.

I played the game earlier, it crashed( read locked up ) on me. I had to do a hard shutdown of my computer in order to close the game. I could close the game and steam using the Task Manager, but when I open steam again to open the game again steam says the game is already running( this has been a recurring problem, not just lately ).

You still had a hung process running, as you killed the Steam process instead of shutting it down cleanly. Reboot the PC to fix.

I played the game earlier, it crashed( read locked up ) on me. I had to do a hard shutdown of my computer in order to close the game. I could close the game and steam using the Task Manager, but when I open steam again to open the game again steam says the game is already running( this has been a recurring problem, not just lately ).

You still had a hung process running, as you killed the Steam process instead of shutting it down cleanly. Reboot the PC to fix.

It still doesn't explain why it locks up so bad that I can't do a clean shutdown. Why\how does a "hung process" happen and how can the problem be kept from happening?

What are you running this game on? is it a laptop? You know pc games require decent hardware you can't do much more than solitaire on laptop graphics and low resources like ram and hard drive space.

Really? My laptop runs it on Ultra (HD8970M with 4GB VRAM, Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD). Some laptops have whopping graphics.

However, my beastly desktop locks up and as we speak is being collected by my system as my thirsty GPU needs a bigger PSU.

Kind of blows your laptops can't run FO4 theory out of the water.

It still doesn't explain why it locks up so bad that I can't do a clean shutdown. Why\how does a "hung process" happen and how can the problem be kept from happening?

Sometimes the process holds all of the operating system's attention, so any interrupt (I.E. shutting down) is not noticed by the operating system. How can you prevent this, this is a more complicated question. It is possible another service or process you are running is interfering with Fallout. It is hard to say. I can try to help you more, if you want.

How to fix it: Open task manager, go to "process" tab, find Fallout4.exe. Right click this and terminate.

Processes are deployed in a tree structure (hierarchy). If you have the option in your task/process manager of choice to "terminate tree" of Fallout 4 or steam, do this. terminating the tree will prevent an orphaned process from continuing to run.

Edited by mkborgelt13

What are you running this game on? is it a laptop? You know pc games require decent hardware you can't do much more than solitaire on laptop graphics and low resources like ram and hard drive space.

Really? My laptop runs it on Ultra (HD8970M with 4GB VRAM, Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD). Some laptops have whopping graphics.

However, my beastly desktop locks up and as we speak is being collected by my system as my thirsty GPU needs a bigger PSU.

Kind of blows your laptops can't run FO4 theory out of the water.

Yes I agree with you, as I said before I can run Fallout 4 on a 5-year-old laptop with Radeon 6770M, i7 with 8 virtual cores, 8Gb memory. All that is needed is some adjustments. It is not perfect but it holds well until I purchase a new machine.

Oh sure with an i7 yeah no problem and depending on the brand and model you may have more than one cooling fan and heat sink assembly what I am talking about is the average one fan midrange or less laptop that is at least three years old and full of dirt and dust because the user doesn't understand they can't put the laptop on the bed or the carpet or the place mat at the dinner table. Intel onboard graphics are crap but people try to play WOW and other big games with it like it should just work lol.