Any way to make my mods incompatible with consoles?

Koveich

Or you could release the mods for console users to dramatically decrease the chances of theft? That's what I'm going to do with my few little mods. I mean, why not? Console users can have access to any of my mods and would be good to have a larger audience.

Granted, I won't obviously share my private edits publicly as that'll be piracy and unfair to the original people, unless I have full permission to share my personal updated version of those mods (which I won't even bother to ask cause I don't care).

~Edit~

Actually, if the new audience ends up enjoying my mods. I might actually get back to work on more and even update my Arena mod even more-so, fixing a few things and finishing up all of the story pieces. I kinda stopped due to lack of interest. It seems no one really cared and due to my depressive disorder, it's kinda hard to work on something that you think no one is going to like...

Edited by Jusey1

Unless your mod won't work on consoles, then it might be worth putting something in there to make sure it can't be ported to console so people won't bork their game with a stolen copy.

Because some mouth breather is going to port your mod, stick it up on Bugthesda, ask for donations, then direct all complaints to you when the fecal matter hits the fan.

Why should mod creators have to put up with endless cries of "you're mod broek my game!!111!!1!!" when it could never run on consoles in the first place?

Unless your mod won't work on consoles, then it might be worth putting something in there to make sure it can't be ported to console so people won't bork their game with a stolen copy.

Because some mouth breather is going to port your mod, stick it up on Bugthesda, ask for donations, then direct all complaints to you when the fecal matter hits the fan.

Why should mod creators have to put up with endless cries of "you're mod broek my game!!111!!1!!" when it could never run on consoles in the first place?

This can be remedied by a few things:

1 - Include that version checker code posted on this thread a couple posts ago and make sure to ship the mod without the source code. This will make it difficult to get the mod edited.

2 - Put in big letters on your mod page here on nexus: "My mod is not available for consoles, I only support the lattest version on nexus, if you donated to anyone else that claimed to be the author of this please seek a refund with your credit card company immediately."

3 - Going really big, just blow the console's mod size limit and be done with it.

I'm hoping we don't get too many cases of people picking mods from the internet and shoving them on bethesda's site. If we get enough cases it might force bethesda to kill the modded support for consoles the same way they pulled the plug on paid mods for skyrim. They're not good with handling the s#*! show.

It is what it is ... You are using a kit owned by Bethesda. You are also using their resources. You were wrong the 1st time. Repeating your error will not make it right.

(also I've noticed you seem to be following my posts just to disagree with them ... what's up with that)

Also: Nothing you create with the CK is ever considered fully yours. You are in face creating Freeware from the start. So, there is no pirating going on when posting to other sites.

That's wrong and repeating yourself doesn't make your statement true either.

When you create a mod for the game you are creating a derivative work, but like all derivative works, it's still yours. There is one catch and your first sentence almost has it right. Since it's a derivative work you don't have the right to publish it without consent from the owner of the original game. The CK comes with a license which gives you the right to publish your mod but in return for you using their content as a basis for your work Bethesda requires that you give them rights to use your mod and denies you the ability to make money from it. Without the CK license your mod has to be for personal use only and you can't legally share it. With the license you can share it in any way you like except to make money. And if you share it publicly Bethesda can use it too if they want. No one else has any right to your mod, just you and Bethesda, unless you specifically chose otherwise. If Bethesda wanted to grab your mod and host it they could, but other random people posting your mod onto Bethesda's site is still copyright infringement because they aren't part of the licensing agreement between you and Bethesda.

. If we get enough cases it might force bethesda to kill the modded support for consoles the same way they pulled the plug on paid mods for skyrim.

Very unlikely because console mod support is something that Bethesda been wanting to do ever since Morrowind and they're not gonna drop something they've worked hard on.

Also, the paid mods ordeal wasn't fully their doing and Bethesda probably didn't want to do it in the first place. That's something which is controlled more so by Zenimax and Valve, especially Valve. I have a feeling that the paid mods ordeal happened from Bethesda wanting to install a donation button of some sort on the Steam Workshop which will allow people donate their Steam funds to the modder in question. Obviously, Valve doesn't want to do this because they love their method of selling fan-creations as well as profiting from any, and all, money transactions on Steam, so they've discussed the idea with Zenimax and persuaded them to agree with the paid mods ordeal...

Mods on consoles is something primarily on Bethesda's head because they are doing it themselves and have full control over it. This is also why Fallout 4 doesn't have a Steam Workshop. Bethesda doesn't trust Valve anymore and doesn't want a repeat with Fallout 4. Really, they just needed permission from Zenimax to go with the plan and an agreement with Microsoft and Sony to fully realize the plan. It just took this long to get Microsoft into agreement, and Sony went with it after the announcement on E3.

Though, I made a slight mistake. Mods on consoles isn't necessary on completely on Bethesda's head. MS and Sony respectfully still had to agree with it and had to properly host the update as well as test it for themselves to get it working (this is why the update is taking awhile for PS4 because Sony personally don't want it to get out as they are against the idea but didn't want to make themselves look bad).

Or at least this is what it looks like from my perspective and from what I've researched on the matter.

I'm not up to date with how the negotiations and limitations for mdos on consoles are atm, but when it was first announced it was reported that sony had a quite strict mod size limit of around 700 mb and didn't allow for audio files to be used (Sony's proprietary bs is on par with apple's).

You're right about them willing to push this through no matter what, but still, one too many cases and we might see mods with traps designed to wreck the console experience in general. I just hope bethesda doesn't run it too neglectifully.