Any way to make my mods incompatible with consoles?

Koveich

I played on a console for a long time so i understand why people use them first is ease of use. Second they are cheap compared to a gaming computer. I don't fault the user I however think that someones work is there work and should on be on sites they allow only. That being said once it gets released it is fair game for any who wish to pirate it we seen it many times before. No real answer or good solution I guess just be happy people like and want to use your mods :)

require SkyUI... SKSE... MCM...

Probably won't be possible for the enhanced edition. SKSE will have to start almost from scratch and the SkyUI team has already said they won't be updating because they are retired from modding. The enhanced edition is the only Skyrim version that will support console modding.

If it's a scripted mod, you can include something like this in some of your scripts:

Event OnInit()
string MyModName = "<whatever>"
If Debug.GetPlatformName() != "Win32" || Debug.GetVersionNumber() != "1.9.32.0"
Debug.MessageBox(MyModName+" is not supported on your version of Skyrim.")
Game.QuitToMainMenu()
EndIf
EndEvent

I don't think he is trying to do harm to the console users machine. Rather, he knows he is not uploading to Bethesda.net, so if a console user is playing the mod, it obviously was pirated.

Just like Dheuster said, it isn't my intention to do damage to the user or their machine. I'm asking around these forums to see if there were any potential changes I could implement into my mods that would turn off potential pirates since the new Skyrim is coming very soon. Since I've posted this a couple days ago, I've had time to think it over and since my mods would be compatible with consoles with no edits and they're probably going to be pirated, I might upload them to Bethesda in anticipation of piracy. If they're already there, nobody has any reason to pirate them. At least, that's one way of seeing it. I don't like that solution the most since I personally think Bethesda's mod platform isn't set up properly like the Nexus.
If it gets bad enough, then I'll begin considering leaving. But we'll have to see.
I am happy that many people enjoy my work and I certainly don't hate console players. I was one myself till this year.
Edited by Mistanesce

• 2 weeks later...

I played on a console for a long time so i understand why people use them first is ease of use. Second they are cheap compared to a gaming computer. I don't fault the user I however think that someones work is there work and should on be on sites they allow only. That being said once it gets released it is fair game for any who wish to pirate it we seen it many times before. No real answer or good solution I guess just be happy people like and want to use your mods :smile:

Consoles being "cheaper" is a bit of a red herring: Xbox has gone through three or four model changes in the same period of time that I have been using my (soon to be retired) present PC. -Which I built and maintained myself.

From time of initial build to now, my system has cost me less than 1400 CDN.

While it was never "bleeding edge": It has been able to run Skyrim with over 100 mods. As well as WoT, Neverwinter, WoW....the list is long.

Hell: I'm even playing Witcher 3 "adequately" on it. And it's only dual core. ;)

Consoles are really about convenience. Which does not equate to "value" in my opinion.

If it's a scripted mod, you can include something like this in some of your scripts:

Event OnInit()

string MyModName = "<whatever>"

If Debug.GetPlatformName() != "Win32" || Debug.GetVersionNumber() != "1.9.32.0"

Debug.MessageBox(MyModName+" is not supported on your version of Skyrim.")

Game.QuitToMainMenu()

EndIf

EndEvent

That's genius!

Not including the source files for the script your mod runs on is a great way of preventing the average joe from simply grabbing your mod and shoving it on bethesda's site.

Though idk how much it would hurt to have my work stolen/copied/plagiarized(Nailed it) and made available to console. I only have one mod under my belt and it's pretty much unknown even though it's been around for a year.

The wording on the thread is a bit wrong though, what the derps are doing by copying your work and posting it on bethesda's site isn't piracy (Something that often lands on legal gray areas and has its defenders) but rather it's plagiarism (which is a crime on many more places of the world).

The wording on the thread is a bit wrong though, what the derps are doing by copying your work and posting it on bethesda's site isn't piracy (Something that often lands on legal gray areas and has its defenders) but rather it's plagiarism (which is a crime on many more places of the world).

Piracy is defined as "the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work." This is piracy.

Plagiarism is "the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own."

On the dictionary google gave me the synonyms include: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing.

I see it diferently cause here on Brazil piracy is never really condenned, but plagiarizing a work can very quickly result in jail time.

It's not about whether someone takes your work and makes it available elsewhere, it's if the person who did it passed themselves as the mod author (Improper crediting or lack of).

I've seen the reports of how more experieced modders are angry at how the whole thing is handled and I really agree with the whole "Holy s*** we gotta protect our work" sentiment. Think about it, if we gather enough cases of people who pirated/plagiarized mods to the consoles it could result in one of the famous class action suits like the one that forced valve to shut down the whole gambling fiasco.

P.S. I like using the harsher words to describe shoddy behavior, it gives people less wiggle room to bs their way out of guilt.

Edited by hugojmaia