Question: Creating Harvestable Workshop Items

Hullo everyone.

I have a quick question for the knowledgeable.

I would like to implement a harvestable object in a mod of mine, similar to mutfruit or carrots and so on.

I am wondering if there is a published tutorial out there for doing this, ideally something that relies on Maya -> Blender 2.49b -> Maya workflow.

I have looked at harvestable objects in the Creation Kit and see only single models for any given object, so I am assuming the process of having a tree with fruit and then a tree with no fruit upon harvest must have something to do with animations? Which I have no experience in.

Any help, guidance, or direction would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

I don't know how you could make them, but watching the files that make the mutfruit, it seems like the fruit itself is a loose part of the mesh... There is no second .nif file to replace the item in the game, unless the resource is damaged (like in a raid) As far as I can tell there is no actual animation. Now the question is what triggers the removal of the mutfruit from the plant. I haven't found it yet, but if I do, I'll let you know...

If you extract the meshes you will see that there are multiple meshes for each harvestable - although wild mutfruit doesn't change when harvested.

I don't understand how the switches are made, I assume it's a script thing (aka wizardry). If you don't need a totally different mesh shape I would suggest making your custom harvestable using creation kit to duplicate an existing harvestable and then making custom texture and material swap. If you want a walkthrough on that let me know, I've had a lot of experience with it. As for custom meshes and scripts, I have no idea at all.

• 11 months later...

Look at Mutfruit trees in Nifskope. They have a switch node(for switching between models) and 2 models - one with fruits, another one with no fruits. You need 2 models of the plant/ tree and 1 model of the fruit. You need to export them to nif format. Then make a copy of Mutfruit nif file and replace the 2 BSTrishape models with your plant models ( without breaking the structure of the nif). Also look at flora files - there is an option to select what fruit they will add to your inventory. When you press "harverst" it switches to "empty" plant model and adds a fruit to your inventoty. When plants reset( together with the cell or by script like in settlements) they switch back to the "fruit' mode. You just add the workshopobject script to it.

You might also need a ruined plant model if you want to make it fully functional like vanilla plants so it can look damaged.

Also plants that grow in settlements have a node for placing an animation marker.

Edited by kitcat81