Synth Shaun: Moral Issue?

jjb54

I formed a question yesterday which is somewhat relevant to this thread:

Is the child synth "Shaun" you find in the Institute, the same child living with Kellogg in Diamond City? Set as bait for the Sole Survivor by the "real" Shaun?

It must be, otherwise it doesn't make sense, Kellogg would have been living in Fort Hagen for 70 years, and some of Nick Valentine's lines would be incorrect.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The child synth named Shaun is a artificial being, a machine, an manufactured artifact. Regardless of his apparent intelligence and intellect, these affectations are nothing more than clever programming and sophisticated decision tables. Given this, the child synth named Shaun has no more moral entanglements than a toaster or a unmade bed or a old pair of shoes.

Yes, the one seen in the memory of Kellogg's time in Diamond City is the Synth Shaun.

Kellogg probably went back to Fort Hagen to to prep and restock for his mission regarding Virgil, you've just managed to track him down before he set off on that hunt.

Thanks! Makes more sense.

The child synth named Shaun is a artificial being, a machine, an manufactured artifact. Regardless of his apparent intelligence and intellect, these affectations are nothing more than clever programming and sophisticated decision tables. Given this, the child synth named Shaun has no more moral entanglements than a toaster or a unmade bed or a old pair of shoes.

Spoken like a " True BoS Soldier "

I am personally glad to see the dialogs here. Even though it's just a game and it is.

It is fun to debate / dialog some of the " issues / challenges " that the game offers.

Thanks to all that posted thoughts! Some great thoughts and such.

Don't be rude. I HATE the BoS. The only value they have it FO4 is as a source for stealing power armor frames.

I also know that 'Synth' is short for 'Synthetic'. According to my Merriam, "Synthetic: made by combining different substances : not natural". So I stand by my evaluation that the morality issues inherent in a Synthetic being are virtually non-existent. And that evaluation includes R. Daneel Olivaw, a hero from my youth and the author of 'The Zeroth Law of Robotics'.

Edited by RattleAndGrind

Don't be rude. I HATE the BoS. The only value they have it FO4 is as a source for stealing power armor frames.

I also know that 'Synth' is short for 'Synthetic'. According to my Merriam, "Synthetic: made by combining different substances : not natural". So I stand by my evaluation that the morality issues inherent in a Synthetic being are virtually non-existent. And that evaluation includes R. Daneel Olivaw, a hero from my youth and the author of 'The Zeroth Law of Robotics'.

It was not meant to be rude at all. Poking fun a little, yes. You post does indeed read as a True Blue BoS.

Again, not meant to be rude - was just having fun. :)

Why does it matter how a being is "made", when it comes to morality? Human beings are essentially biological machines, put together by the forces of physics. The gen-3 synths are literally flesh-and-blood human beings, with some internal tech augments added to make them easier to control (unfortunately the game doesn't seem to give any details about that). As far as I can tell, they have human brains with all the human "circuitry" intact (emotions, survival instinct, self-determination, etc).