BSN is shutting down; files there could be lost.

Tarshana

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to worry, I think we're all learning a lot with this :D

And! I know exactly what will happen when your connections goes, because mine disconnects once a day :tongue: It'll all drop to zero, then when your connection is back it will reconnect and continue.

Edit: Duh, I didn't even think of it losing the connection because it was being taken away from the connection :P What Tarshana said.

Edited by Shadesofnight

all right! I'll just be sure to pause it before I disconnect. I'm currently operating on high speed university wifi so that's helping a bit.

nice to meet all of you guys by the way. I wish it wasn't under such dire circumstances but I'm certainly glad to have a reason to actually talk to other modders!

lol :) This whole process is a giant "duh" for me. Like, it's so easy, but I feel like there's a billion steps to it. I'm glad no one was around when I was swearing at the urlcapture thing. Woulda made an Irish sailor blush :happy:

And yeah, it's kinda interesting being pulled from my hideyhole at a time like this. I have always been an awkward/shy person. I feel like the internet and my video games are a safe haven so I get nervous poking my head out but when I do I find some great people :) When I released my little furniture mod I was like "oh god people are going to troll me" but nope, not even close :)

The closest I've ever come to modding is when I messed with the texture of my Kotor2 Exile so I could turn her blue XD

Alas, I would love to try actual modding but I tend to learn through deconstructing things and a) I have no idea how to extract 3D heads out of a game so I can examine them and figure out how they work, and b) I have no 3D modeling software.

Saving and hoarding files though? That I can most certainly do :D

Speaking of which, I just started going through the BSN Projects, put them in the order by created and I noticed a number have Download greyed out. Am I correct in thinking that these are the ones that are only accessible by certain Groups?

MohoFish

That's a good one^^.

This is important, and I suggest everyone here reads the rest of the post :

I have got multiple computers so I'm tempted to set things up on another one (I can spare 900GB on this one and have almost 3TB free on an external) but I think doing multiple at once on the same connection would mean they'd all go slower?

Also CreeperLava: How big is your forum download now? (you mentioned 60GB at 10% which would be an estimated 600GB total?) Do you think me allowing 900GB for it would be enough?

Unless you can use different IP addresses, they should share the bandwidth allowed by the server. So yes, all would go slower. 900 GB should be plenty enough (I'm at 90GB), if you're following the settings (that is, no pictures, no data from external websites, only HTML/JS/CSS from forums.bioware.com). Once compressed, it should go down at least tenfold, since it's mostly text.

That looks fine; as long as it doesn't stop in the first 3 minutes then you should be okay :smile: If it stops it makes there's a form to fill out and use the Capture URL

Ah, so that's what you did to bypass it. Awesome, thanks !

I think I got the patches too. I'm just netting everything I possibly can off social.bioware.com. super dumb httrack-related question: when I go to work in the morning and my laptop briefly loses connectivity, will it automatically resume when I have internet again, or will it cause trouble? (i am so bad at this tech stuff. i am so sorry.)

HTTrack can resume downloads. However, I think it is counterproductive to have multiple people downloading the same thing, at the same speed. The only result is that we are putting a strain on the server, thus slowing down everything else.

I'm downloading the whole forums.bioware.com, so unless your download speed (from HTTrack, not your regular bandwidth !!) is superior to 120 KB/s, there's no use in running it yourself. The same goes for the other projects. Tarshana downloaded the entirety of Bioware projects (BSN legacy). The most sensible thing to do would be to upload this archive and share it privately to make sure at least 2 backups are out there.

Edited by CreeperLava

I seem to have ran into a problem. I need to know if anyone who's downloading BSN Legacy is also seeing this.

Under the project folder to into where it says social.bioware.com and the numbered folder. doubleclick on the Index to view the webpage.

Only SIX pages so far are not "access denied" on my end. I went from a few error files to over 2k. I might have to start over and log into each and every page manually.

tbh at this point I'm only going to work on this for one more day. I have all of the projects saved and if I cannot save the discussion pages there's not much I can do. Patches and registered content are supposed to be available after but I think most of us have saved those.

Edit: oh nevermind. I have it all. The database is backedup, the indexs are files I can't see, such as projects I was not part of. All projects safe on mediafire and visual of the html pages preserved. No access to blogs, however, as I never subscribed to any.

Tarshana I'm having the same problem - I have httrack paused but I can't seem to edit my settings to capture the login and bypass that page. Is that going to be an issue? also, what's a standard number of errors to have? I'm at like 5k :/