BSN is shutting down; files there could be lost.

Tarshana

@Site Archivers --

Can I get one more update as to who has backups to which site? I want to update the WP today:

1. BioWare Forum -- Creeper, this is what you're working on, correct? Currently sitting at 450GB and still going?

2. BSN (social.bioware.com) -- Tarshana, you have this site in it's entirety, correct? Anyone else?

Tarsh, I know you answered this for me before, but can you verify for me. Is it possible for you to dive into the backup files right now, locate "Dragon Age Redesigned" and access the ZIP file for that mod? I need to know if that workflow is possible, as we could still be working on uploads and contacting authors once BSN is gone.

Also Tarsh, what info specifically DON'T we have? Private groups? Private blogs? Are there private mods?

3. ME1 site (http://masseffect.bioware.com/me1/index.html) -- Tarshana has this, I think. Anyone else?

4. Felexea's Port -- Tarsh, I know you posted something about this yesterday. I still need to look it over but I know you mentioned Felexea didn't port the entire forum, only part. Do we know why?

----

A couple ideas regarding the WordPress:

1. Mod Author Advertising -- We could put up a page with the running list of mod authors we're trying to contact. It's possible their friend will see and pester them to respond to us, or provide alternate contact information.

2. Blogs & Forum Guides -- We could also use the WordPress to host some of this content, if we want. I can give folks posting abilities if they want to move some of this content. It'll kind of be like creating a wiki article, though. You'll need to copy the text, upload the images directly to the WP, make the formatting pretty, etc.

Edited by moho25

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, So many deep conversations on Twitter are had...

Fextralife: All of the DA forums are now on Fextra and from her posts, it looks like she is importing the other stuff :smile: Besides DA:2 all of the other DA forums have been imported. At the start she counted 7 million posts; I think it just slow going.

I do not know which one is DA: Redesigned because the number labels on my download is off. I am having a feck of time doing much right now because I have to move folders around my hard drives. I do know that I have been downloading all the projects without external hosts; some of them I would never use but history should not be lost! (even if I do not wish to have nekkid Asari all over xD). I need about an hour for this file xfer before I can open up any pages.

So far all I know is that anything set to "private" I do not have access to. Beyond that I cannot say until I pull up my pages side by side with BSN Legacy.

I am being a slug and staying home today. I really want to get more of the spreadsheet done (Shout out to Creeper and Quarian Analyst for all your hard work!!). I will send you a msg as soon as I know that opening pages and downloading internally works.

@Tarsh --

1. Fextralife -- Okay, so she *is* importing Mass Effect stuff as well? I've heard some language from other folks regarding their intentions being DA-centric, so I want to make sure Felexea isn't falling into this camp.

2. Workflow and Accessibility -- Okay, give me an update when you know more. It's important we know how we're going to be able to access the content of the archive :)

Thanks!

So far ME: Andromeda forums have been imported; no EAT ETA on the others. I asked her again (from what I can tell she is still importing) just to make sure I have the right information.

I agree. I have not had a chance to check more than a few pages. I will search for DA:R as soon as I can. You would think 32gigs of ram would be enough to multi task :o

Edit: Fextralife forum import: Mass Effect: Andromeda
Dragon Age: Origins GD; Combat, Strategy and Gameplay; Story, Campaign and Characters; Toolset, Archived
DA:I GD Spoilers and No Spoilers, Combat, Strategy and Gameplay; Story, Campaign and Charactesr, Multiplayer

@giftfish

1. Yes, it's what my computer's working on. I'm not doing much^^.

2. Tarshana sent me a copy of the BSN Legacy website. We have redundancy now, yay !

"Mod Author Advertising". Not sure if it will work, but it certainly can't hurt to try. Some mod authors are literally unfindable on the Internet. tmp7704 is a very prolific one, it would be a shame to lose his mods because of that.

If he has room!! LOL! I will send him the link and let him download at leisure; I can even send you the links as well :)

"Dept. of Redundancy Department reporting in."

I -had- hoped that reddit would help make visible the plight but my goodness does apathy abound! Sometimes I think that gamers care more for the "what ifs" in story of a game rather than the game itself.( I hope that makes sense). Reddit was a wee bit of a disappointment in calling out to people to help :( My stickied posts barely reached the +50 mark, Creeper fared a bit better with almost double of that but so far only four people have worked on the spreadsheet. I have zero idea if the people who reached out to me before about HTTrack have made any progress. To be honest, I feel that a lot of people are just like "Oh someone else is already doing it so I do not have to." @$@#$@#$@# Pfffffft. I love humans, I really do.

ON THE PLUS SIDE: Mod authors -have- reached out to messages in regards to preservation, such as Ottemis, ELE08 and CDAMJC/C3Anderson.

On another plus side: a lot of mods are featured on people's blogs so reaching out to them and seeing if they want more visibility on Nexus could help preserve the mods even more by having them in a more centralized location.

Thought: On authors who do not host on Nexus: can we create some sort of download for "Mods you might like but are not here" so that people can still search here but be directed to their sites?