Auto-aim doesn't just affect arcing - how to disable it?

Moogiefluff

I'm looking for a way to completely disable bow auto-aiming.

Take my current situation as the perfect example: I'm trying to sneak through a building full of nasties and I have an opportunity to sneak-kill one guy from quite a distance. But he's in a doorway, and only part of his body (mostly his arm) is visible.

I draw back the string and let loose an arrow, aiming for his arm, and... it fires into the goddamn wall. In fact, the arrow is flying directly towards where his body WOULD be if it were completely visible to me. And this isn't a fluke, either-- it happens every single time.

It's clear to me, then, that auto-aiming doesn't just mess up your arc-- it actually affects your horizontal aim, too. This is a necessary feature for gamepad play, but as I have gamepad disabled in the options, I should not still be having my hand held when it comes to precision aiming.

By the way, if you miss as many headshots as I do, it's not totally due to this auto-aim mechanic-- the bounding box for people is simply too short. I shot arrows practically point-blank at this NPC (a high elf) and they flew STRAIGHT through his head, as if it were nothing but air.

So, are there any known ini tweaks to eliminate the horizontal aiming, or is my sneaky bowgirl SOL for now?

This might help.

For 'disabling' the auto aim and making the arrow shoot out from your crosshair, not under/above

1. Go to mygames/skyrim/

2. open Skyrim.ini with notepad

3. Find where it says [Combat]

4. Add

f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7

f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7

under it.

5. Save it and restart skyrim

Thanks to Nadimos for this tweak. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=758

To make arrows able to hit actors at longer range (If you're not adding this line you might shoot people at long range, but without hitting them)

1. Edit the same skyrim.ini file with notpad

2. Add

[Actor]

fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=14000.0000

3. save and restart

Edited by firstprice

I always read about these settings but did someone put them to the test on the long run?

It says the arrow starts below the cross hair however at level 68 with 100 archery and a Deadric Bow I have to aim lower (!) than what I want to hit. For example for a headshot at 20 meters I have to aim somewhere around the chest.

I can't really remember how it was on lower leveles and starter gear but I think I had to aim much higher.

Then at first I could not hit a target far away. I tried to assassinate the mine owner in Dawnstar with a bow and positioned myself outside town at hill. I shoot 20 arrows and the NPC was still alive and kickn. Once down I saw my arrows passed thru the model.

However now at high level I can shoot people that I barely even recognise on the screen.

Could this all not just be level and gear based?

This might help.

For 'disabling' the auto aim and making the arrow shoot out from your crosshair, not under/above

1. Go to mygames/skyrim/

2. open Skyrim.ini with notepad

3. Find where it says [Combat]

4. Add

f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7

f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.7

under it.

5. Save it and restart skyrim

Thanks to Nadimos for this tweak. http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=758

To make arrows able to hit actors at longer range (If you're not adding this line you might shoot people at long range, but without hitting them)

1. Edit the same skyrim.ini file with notpad

2. Add

[Actor]

fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=14000.0000

3. save and restart

I'm already using these tweaks and they do not disable auto-aiming. Saying they do that is misleading.

They help adjust the arc so the arrow fires from the center of the crosshair, and they fix the "hitting from distance" problem, but those are both seperate issues from what I've described in the OP.

I'll be trying some of the other tweaks posted above and report back my results. Thanks for the replies!

Edited by Moogiefluff

I kind of realized, I thought first you mean the 'auto aim' that makes the arrow shoot from under the crosshair, I didn't even realize there was another auto aim. My bad for not reading and understanding you post completely, It's been a long day.

Anyways, I'm wondering why you're aiming at the head, since there is no locational damage in the game currently?

Roleplay. It's just more fun to make headshots. :)

It's less fun when their heads appear to be noncorporeal, however...

Agreed. I do the same. I love getting a good headshot insta-kill from a couple hundred meters away even if it doesn't matter (only possible to hit that far away with fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=14000.0000 in the ini otherwise the arrow passes right through the enemy/bear/living thing)

To chime in on the thread, I'll post what I said in another place:

The arc they put in the game is ON PURPOSE. Not to counteract gravity to make it easier to aim, definitely not to make some kind of auto-aim (though I realize there may be some kind of auto-aim arrow magnetism thing going on when the arrow just would otherwise barely miss). It's because arrows fly in an arc regardless of how straight you aim them. It comes down to technique. Archers "nock" their arrows on the string a little lower than the tip of the arrow being held in place by the hand/grip. Thus the back of the arrow is a little lower than the front. This is to help hit targets in real life. It gives the arrow a natural arc. Also, some arching comes from the way the bow is aimed in relation to the arrow. When one aims, he pulls the arrow back so that his hand's thumb (that is holding the string) meets his lip. He then aims down his sight, but not directly down the shaft (since the back end of the arrow is around his lip, not his eye. Thus, if you're looking down range in a straight line (represented by the crosshair in game) and the back of the arrow is beneath your eye (near your mouth), then the tip of the arrow is pointed up, creating an arc. I've practiced archery with all manner of bows since I was quite young [about 8].

Bonus fact: For a very long time, gun's "iron sights" have been crafted in a way that causes you to aim slightly higher than your target when aiming down sight even when you think you're actually aiming perfectly straight. This is to emulate the same built-in mechanics of a bow arching an arrow. All are created to counter-act gravity.

Personally, I leave my arc default. I do not change the ini settings, because I can honestly say as a bit of a real life archer, that Bethesda's arc is pretty natural. As it stands in the game, the default arc is great. Just like in real life, within so many feet, aiming at a bullseye directly WILL cause you to hit slightly higher than the bullseye. Then at longer distances, you must still manually tilt your bow to aim higher. Bethesda got it right on the money. Except with arrow speed. Way too slow for me :P A mod fixes that.

So, counter-intuitively, if you want the game to be more realistic, you will NOT change it in the INI. Bethesda actually did a good job.

Edited by Narmix