So what I think may have happened to the Dwemer

Sabi

Don't know if you've played Morrowind (TES3)

There was this fella named Kagrenac. He was a boss so they called him "Lord Kagrenac".

He was this Dwemeri Chief Tonal Architect and Shop Foremer right? Basically Einstein.

So this guy made these wicked tools called Keening, Sunder and Wraithguard and was

working on this thing called the "Heart of Lorkhan" in hopes of making the Dwemer live forever.

Well there was a Kagrenac-made Brass God named Numidium or Anumidum - whatever.

He was actually a golem that was controlled by a Totem that only people of royal blood could control (Tiber Septim)

This guy was in Daggerfall (TES2) He was pretty B.A.

Anyways, Dagoth Ur was making Akulakhan or the Second Numidium (Numidium version 2.0) and powering it with the Heart of Lorkhan. (In TES3)

So the idea is since Kagrenac was such a boss at making these tools - somehow the heart transported him and the rest of the Dwemer to another realm..

except they forgot one.. Yagrum Bagarn, one of Kagrenac's Tonal Architects who is in Morrowind. Yep. He's the last Dwemeri.

Edit: Seems like a god was jelly and said - Let there be no fat men in copper towers!

Edited by ninjaguy1337

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the fact that they have so many automatons, and such a vast gap in the level of tech that makes them such an absolutely unique people.

they're large ans steam-powered though. makes them seeem like goblin contraptons in WoW.they wouldn't be too unfitting.

I oprdict a Return of the Dwemer DLC at some poiint, including the introduction of crossbows and maybe primitive rifles.

Reintroduction! There were crossbows in Morrowind.. as well as spears, halbreds, throwing stars/knives. Probably something else I've forgotten.

I hope they don't bring them back and leave it in mystery, that's part of the allure is that we just don't know what happened, it's all a toss-up. It's the wonder.

And the fact that they have so many automatons, and such a vast gap in the level of tech that makes them such an absolutely unique people.

I totally agree, I love the mystery of it, and really after Skyrim it only makes the mystery stronger by adding possibilities to what happened. I am not looking for closure, but would love some sort of progress towards mysteries being solved, or closing one mystery that leads to a bigger one.

I love how Skyrim literally put an Elder Scroll in the players hands, let him read it without going blind, and have it teach us something about what the powers and capabilities of the scroll are. Maybe the Dwemer were able to harness a fraction of the power from a Scroll, and since they were not meant to it lead to it zapping them out of existence save the last remaining one.

So, yes I enjoy the mystery - but I also enjoy plot development that leads to uncovering truths and clues into solving the mystery - but not giving it all up entirely.

I agree with the dwemer part, Im so glad bethesda brought back dwemer ruins rather than creating another generic dead civilisation like they did with the ayleids.

But I cant believe you get given an elder scroll, its killed the whole mystery and awe which they previously had when the elder scrolls were only mentioned in scattered whispers... not good, really not good.

In Oblivion you actually stole an Elder Scroll.. so that's not new, right? :P|

Edit: God I'm a nerd.

Edited by ninjaguy1337

I'm getting to know TES' story just now because I never had the nerve as a kid to play Morrowind/Oblivion.

What I find most interesting, is what I've read on one of the wikis (i think it was uesp.com):

>Skyrim is a province of Tamriel

>Tamriel a continent on Nirn (out of several others and a bunch of islands)

>Nirn is one of 9 planets of Mundus (basically the name of the solar system)

Bethesda has created the framework for countless games in the TES series. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to twist the story in a way, that the Dwemer resurface somewhere else on Nirn.

I hope that some day a TES game will take place on Akavir. Dragon-Tiger people, Monkey people and Snake people sound really cool!

Edited by FlexySanders

One fine day they are gonna make an elder scroll series with "the return of the dwemer" they will be attacking all the major cities and trying to conquer the world. :tongue: ...

To the main topic, we should have asked alduin before we killed him!!!! he has been alive since akatosh and should know the answer, dammitt shouldnt have stick him up so soon, should have hanged him in dragonreach and interogate him on all of Tamerial's history :devil:

Edited by ddwmk2002

As it stands right now, we know what happened to the Dwemer... Mostly. As... That guy with poor prose above said, it all has to do with Kagrenac and his work with the Heart of Lorkhan.

For those who don't know, Lorkhan was the one who started the project that created Mundus. Depending on who tells it (Mer or Men) he either convinced to tricked the other 8 divines into helping. One way or another, they lost the majprity of their power, and Lorkhan was imprisoned on Mundus, with his heart, the seat of his divinity, taken from him and cast into the earth. Where it fell, a massive volcano formed -Red Mountain.

The Dweemer found this at some point under the leadership of Kagrenac, tried to unlock its secrets. When the Dwemer King (Whose name escapes me at the moment) had a falling out with Nerevar, king of the Chimer (It was over Kagrenac's work, FYI. Nerevar learned from Azura that Kagrenac was trying to make himself into a god, the Dwemer king denyed it, war started, etc. Ironically, Kagrenac was trying to become a god, and lied to his king...) Anywho, the Chimer and the Dwemer went to war, and during the height of the seige of Red Mountain, as Nerevar and the Dwemer King dueld in the forge chambers of the Numbidium, Kagrenac used the tools Sunder and Keening (Wraithguard was just a glove that dispersed the energies involved so the tools and the Heart wouldn't kill you) on the Heart of Lorkhan, and the entire Dwemer race dissapeared.

Except for Yagrum Bagrum, who was on another plane at the time, and thus escaped the effects, though he mentiones he felt it.

Anyway, in Morrowind, there is a rather lengthy mission where you bring the books to Bagrum (Or some Telvanni wizzard i can't care to remember) and he explains what happens. Essentially, because of Nerevar, the process was interupted, and there was a massive magical backlash that affected everyone with Dwemer blood. He's not completely certian of the outcome, but he beleive the backlash annihilated the entirty of the Dwemer race in a single heart beat (A beat of the Heart of Lorkhan, as a matter of fact). He does mention, however, that there remains a possibility that they were transported beyond the known cosmos, perhapse even beyond the infinate domains of Oblivion. The all too common ash piles you find in Dwemer ruins in Morrowind, on the other hand, seems to support option A.

So there remains some chance that the Dwemer still exist, but it's not a good one. I was kind of hoping The Infernal City might hold some answers, but the sequal hasn't been released yet, and the events in it don't even seem to be canon, so that hope is mostly lost.

I still maintain that the Elder Scroll found in the Tower of Mzulft (or Mzark - whichever one it was) had something to do with it. Think about it, if an Elder Scroll can be used to cast a being as powerful as Alduin out of time, what might it do to the Dwemer? Considering where you find it, it was clearly being worked with at the moment they vanished. Don't the Elder Scrolls trump the Daedra and Aedra themselves? Whatever the last Dwemer felt, I think it had as much to do with the scroll as it did Lorkhan and his heart.

Whatever the final cause, it was clearly hubris that led to the disappearance of the Dwemer.

I still maintain that the Elder Scroll found in the Tower of Mzulft (or Mzark - whichever one it was) had something to do with it. Think about it, if an Elder Scroll can be used to cast a being as powerful as Alduin out of time, what might it do to the Dwemer? Considering where you find it, it was clearly being worked with at the moment they vanished. Don't the Elder Scrolls trump the Daedra and Aedra themselves? Whatever the last Dwemer felt, I think it had as much to do with the scroll as it did Lorkhan and his heart.

Whatever the final cause, it was clearly hubris that led to the disappearance of the Dwemer.

Or despiration... Well, i suppose at the root of it you cold say it was the hubris of one man... Still, on the whole, the Dwemer are the ultimate expression of science in the TES universe. They always ask the question 'Why' and seek answers. In this case, the research into the Heart of Lorkhan was to understand the nature of divinity.

As for the Elder Scroll thing, we don't know enough about the timeline of the Skyrim holds to make a judgement. We know that several decades before the Dwemer dissapeared there was a war with the Nords. It could be that the Dwemer were driven out of Skyrim during that time, and thus had no contact with the Elder Scroll in question when the Battle for Red Mountain happened. We also don't know how effective that reading device was at interpreting the Elder Scroll, since you kinda... you know, just take it out.

My point is, we're given a reason for their dissapearance, one that doesn't include the Elder Scroll at all. Its bad writing to go back and retcon explained events because you want to shoe horn the Elder Scrolls into the situation. Of course, that says nothing about the reading ons the scroll's impact. It could have been where Kagrenac got the idea in the first place.

I don't want them back, frankly. We talk a race that enslaved the snow elves, a race that almost made a god, a race that was so advanced they could transfer themself from different planes. They even challenged and tricked Dadreic Princes!

A race so advanced they challenged men and god alike.

We talk about a race that would crush anything. Just look at what their DEGRADED machines can do. Imagine a dwemer army on your doorstep.

Heck, if they'd come back I bet they'd find another godly artifact and try to make another god.

What I do want, however, is more to the mystery! All we know is that they dissapeared after activating their so called Brass God. Did it work? Did they all just dissapear? Did they create another plane for themself?