[Planned] Travel to Cyrodiil Mod

Diabolickal

i will say that you seem to have a bit more sense than the usual "I know nothing but i'm gonna make the biggest mod ever" idiots.

but still, this is a big project. Ridiculously, stupendously, astronomically, hopelessly big. Doing the cities alone would be a massive ton of work. if you're actually planning to port the various dungeons too, i guarantee you'll never finish it this century.

and in the end, would the playerbase accept it? this is after all, 200 years later. the political situation in cyrodiil has changed vastly. remaking it as it was then would seem silly. the place has been through a great war. The imperial city itself got invaded. i'd expect devastation in some places, and things been rebuilt differently in others.

but yeah, big project, not sure i see the point. i'd advise against starting it.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've got a pretty realistic idea of the effort required to build Cyrodiil.

A couple of the more complicated mods I've made are:

A follower that you can train so they can fulfill whatever backup roll you need (healer/archer was useful). There was also a long string of quests to find out who this person really was.

A Kvatch Rebuilt mod called Kvatch Resurrection that let you actively participate in rebuilding Kvatch and recruiting people to help rebuild and populate the city. This took longer than building a standard city because I had to build the whole thing a few times because there the city was rebuilt in 5 or 6 key stages so you could wander around the scaffolding, etc.

In both cases the biggest problem I had was getting audio for the characters.

We need to find some people that:

Can process and import audio and lip-sync it with the character's dialogue.

Can export character and clothing / apparel models that are properly skinned (bound to bones for animation).

Someone that can export non-buggy collision meshes with objects.

It would also be useful but not essential to have someone that can get custom animations into the game (mainly for characters), maybe even new skeleton systems (for new monsters).

We also need some way of organizing this properly, whether it be a website, wiki, forum, or mailing list.

We should get a list of volunteers, figure out what the overall vision is, and then try and get a high-quality proof-of-concept released as soon as possible after the creation kit comes out.

If the quality is high, then it will get more volunteers for the project. If we can get some voice acting in there too then it will show that we can really do this.

I think I've got a pretty realistic idea of the effort required to build Cyrodiil.

A Kvatch Rebuilt mod called Kvatch Resurrection that let you actively participate in rebuilding Kvatch and recruiting people to help rebuild and populate the city. This took longer than building a standard city because I had to build the whole thing a few times because there the city was rebuilt in 5 or 6 key stages so you could wander around the scaffolding, etc.

One of my favorite mods

A follower that you can train so they can fulfill whatever backup roll you need (healer/archer was useful). There was also a long string of quests to find out who this person really was.

In both cases the biggest problem I had was getting audio for the characters.

We need to find some people that:

Can process and import audio and lip-sync it with the character's dialogue.

Can export character and clothing / apparel models that are properly skinned (bound to bones for animation).

Someone that can export non-buggy collision meshes with objects.

It would also be useful but not essential to have someone that can get custom animations into the game (mainly for characters), maybe even new skeleton systems (for new monsters).

We also need some way of organizing this properly, whether it be a website, wiki, forum, or mailing list.

We should get a list of volunteers, figure out what the overall vision is, and then try and get a high-quality proof-of-concept released as soon as possible after the creation kit comes out.

If the quality is high, then it will get more volunteers for the project. If we can get some voice acting in there too then it will show that we can really do this.

Well, I think you already got a volunteer list. Just scower this thread. Once we have a list together, we could meet on Nexus chat or anything jus to get things together, poll the talent, set reasonable expectations for completion and figure out what is and isnt possible. The size and popularity this project would generate leads me to believe that finding help, even those hard to find little niche jobs, wouldn't be hard to do since the talent out there would also probably like to see a project like this end i completion. We just need to advertise to them and there are more than enough TES sites to do that.

But Earendal, I think your expertise inadvertently made you the candidate to get this ball rolling and take charge of the whole thing. I think the people casing this thread will now be dissapointed if you do not...

I am willing to help this project in any way i can, even though i am not that great of a modder but i do know the basics and i have released a some what succesfull mod. I have also made quite a few mods that i did not release that added basic followers, new areas, player homes, and spells. I am far from being as good as best modders but i am at least able to help.

But Earendal, I think your expertise inadvertently made you the candidate to get this ball rolling and take charge of the whole thing. I think the people casing this thread will now be dissapointed if you do not...

I wanted to start extending Tamriel before I found this thread. Cyrodiil is obviously a big part of being able to do that, but I don't want to try and hijack what Diabolickal started...

In any case, here a little gift for all everyone that wants to expand into Cyrodiil, the rest of Tamriel, or anywhere else in Nirn:

I'm calling it The Nirn Project.

To Join, you need to join Wikidot, then go to The Nirn Project and click the Join button on the left. There's no obligation to actually do anything, you could just put in a few ideas if you like (just don't start deleting everything).

I wanted to start extending Tamriel before I found this thread. Cyrodiil is obviously a big part of being able to do that, but I don't want to try and hijack what Diabolickal started...

In any case, here a little gift for all everyone that wants to expand into Cyrodiil, the rest of Tamriel, or anywhere else in Nirn:

I'm calling it The Nirn Project.

To Join, you need to join Wikidot, then go to The Nirn Project and click the Join button on the left. There's no obligation to actually do anything, you could just put in a few ideas if you like (just don't start deleting everything).

Ill help with the project and i already checked out the website (I was a little suprised my name was On one of the links though). I think that we should ask Iliana (The author of Elsweyr the Deserts of Anequina) if she would be willing to help us. Even if she is not willing to help us though we should attempt to get her permission to use all of her resources (I am assuming since it is called The Nirn Project we will be making more than just cyrodiil) since they are original and would greatly decrease the time it would take to make Elsweyr. I do hope that Elsweyr is remade though since i loved exploring it in oblivion and if we included elsweyr and cyrodiil in our mod it would make the game extremely amazing, I for one would love to walk from one coast to another especially if one is snow covered and the other is a sandy desert. it would be pretty cool to have all those diferent climates. Well, anyways you can count on my help.

Diabolickal and I have created a forum for further discussion of the mod and for better co-ordination, if you are interested, either as becomeing a member of the team, keeping up with updates, suggesting some things you would like to see please visit: Forum Edited by deamonata