Supply Lines: Still Confused

threefoldmind

But that's not the point. Sanctuary can literally produce an infinite number of water. Surplus can be sold for massive profits. Putting at least a pump for every 3 citizens in every settlement isn't that much of an effort and keeps them happy, as opposed to supply lines which they don't acknowledge as providers for their daily needs.

But that's not the point. Sanctuary can literally produce an infinite number of water. Surplus can be sold for massive profits. Putting at least a pump for every 3 citizens in every settlement isn't that much of an effort and keeps them happy, as opposed to supply lines which they don't acknowledge as providers for their daily needs.

Except this is a thread SPECIFICALLY ABOUT SUPPLY LINES and how I do not understand why mine are not working. You see you play the game one way, I play the game one way, and while there is overlap I am still playing it differently. I want Sanctuary to provide water to the whole Commonwealth, which it cannot do if the supply lines cannot do that.

Except this is a thread SPECIFICALLY ABOUT SUPPLY LINES and how I do not understand why mine are not working. You see you play the game one way, I play the game one way, and while there is overlap I am still playing it differently. I want Sanctuary to provide water to the whole Commonwealth, which it cannot do if the supply lines cannot do that.

Yeah, they don't work for you because food and water aren't recognized as being shared. That's what I said in the last post you quoted, didn't I? Everything else is shared but if you want food and water, you better build some locally.

And - sorry for trying to point out your problem. I'm sure someone else will explain it in simpler terms.

You can not use Sanctuary(or any other settlement) to provide water and/or food to the whole Commonwealth, supply lines will NOT help with food/water!

You may have implied it but didn't actually say it which may be where I got confused. I have been on more than one forum all day trying to get a conclusive answer and so far I have you saying "Water and Food do not keep other settlements from going red" and some others saying that it will.

I don't think I was ever confused about this until I read this thread. :confused: I always thought that if a settlement didn't have enough food or water on its own it would take from any trade routes that have been established. I know there's been several times when starting a new settlement that I didn't have enough crops on hand to get food started so I established a trade route with a settlement that I knew had the resources until I could return with the proper amount. The first thing I would suggest is to look at which settlements are failing and make sure the trade route is established and still running (or that the provisioner is still alive).

If your planning on creating more settlements as you go along I would suggest not having Sanctuary do all the work though. One attack against Sanctuary would strain all of your other settlements which might be a hassle to repair.

I still haven't figured out whether or not the sharing can happen among two trade routes. For example, if I have settlement A that is linked to B, then I have settlement C that is only linked to B, does settlement A and C end up sharing the same resources? You don't have any connections like that do you? Maybe is doesn't share past one link.

I still haven't figured out whether or not the sharing can happen among two trade routes. For example, if I have settlement A that is linked to B, then I have settlement C that is only linked to B, does settlement A and C end up sharing the same resources? You don't have any connections like that do you? Maybe is doesn't share past one link.

They do indeed count as linked. As long as you can trace a connection between two settlements, they should share resources, regardless of the number of stops in between. In my game, I have Red Rocket set up as my primary Northeast hub, so I have a line from Sanctuary to RR, RR to Greentop Acres, Greentop to The Castle, and The Castle to Spectacle Island, and SI has access to materials stored at Sanctuary.

I'm not sure why the OP's settlements arent sharing food/water as they should be, perhaps that functionality was patched out?

Why is this still confusing people?

Supply Lines are ONLY for the Player Character ti use/craft/build with NOTHING MORE.

Each settlement MUST supply it's own food/water to support it's own population. REGARDLESS of the fact that the food/water numbers are no longer red, if the total food and/or total water in that settlement is less than the required amount for the population, then it will have negative effects on happiness, and settlers will complain whenever you go near them. It doesn't matter if there is 1000 Mutfruit and 500 Purified Water in the Workshop Inventory, if you have 15 settlers but only 6 food, and 3 water, then it WILL adversely affect happiness and recruitment, to the point where settlers may even leave your settlement.

So - Supply Lines are ONLY there for you the Player Character, NOT the settlers!

Making caps is easy - Any unassigned settler will spend caps in any store (obviously the higher the tier of store, the more they spend) on a daily basis. Only unassigned settlers will "shop" though, so if everyone is "working" in your settlement, you make diddly. You only need 1 food per settler, and each settler can produce up to a maximum of 6 food, so with 10 settlers, you'll only need 2 "farming" and 1 assigned to a shop (best option to start with is a "bar"), to make a caps profit every day.

However be aware that the game will only allow a maximum of 5 unassigned settlers per settlement for passive/beacon recruitment to occur. You can manually send settlers there from elsewhere though, provided you Charisma is high enough..

• 1 year later...

Because this thread contains a lot of FALSE statements, but comes out high on Google, I am responding even if two years later.

Supply Lines (facts) :

• do share excess Food (crops) and Water to other Settlements who do not produce enough for their Settlers. In Workshop mode (UI), if the numbers are green, there is enough global Food and Water for that Settlement. If the numbers are red, you need to add some Food or Water production in one of the Settlements connected in your Supply Line network (might take 24 hours to see the new calculation: not sure).
  • do share all materials for crafting purposes only. They will NOT be shown in the Workshops, but the player can use all the crafting materials in that Supply Line network.
  • do not share other items like armor, clothing, drugs, weapons, etc.

Here is a short quality video from Oxhorn :

--

TIP: some mods on Nexus allow to make all stuff accessible from any settlement. The two best I have found are:

a) Provisioner Supply Containers :

Allows you to build special boxes that are connected, so that you can access whatever is inside it (example: weapons, armor, clothing, etc.) from any settlement. Example: you are on Spectacle Island and build the Provisioner box there, allowing you to grab armor/weapons that you can give to your Settlers there. Or you build a Provisioner medbox and can grab the stuff you put in there previously. Works like a charm and it never bugged out. I use it because traveling back to other settlements to grab extra gear for new Settlers was really tedious.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14896

b) Supply Line Dropoff Box :

Once a day, all valuables from your various Workbenches (like Food, Water, Stimpacks, etc.) are collected into one virtual depot. Whenever you build the proper box, you can access the stuff. You can also choose to exclude some settlements (so they keep their Food/Water for example). -- I have not tested this mod and do not know if it hampers the sharing of Food/Water across Settlements that need it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/31587

Edited by Seighfryd