Anyone else adore the UI?

Rennn

I'm not completely certain why people are complaining about the pc UI. In every rpg I've played (for my pc of course) the UI is a mess of dragging, dropping, and resetting cursors that seems inent on making the game terrible. I like the focus on using arrow keys and wasd in menus; finally my cursor doesn't reset to the center of the screen every time I click something, and I don't have to deal with the 'mmo action bar' system. I also like the hotkey/favorites hybrid. I hotkey roughly 5 things, then, since more than that is hard to remember when I'm constantly swapping gear, I can go right into the favorites menu for a more in-depth (but still easy to use) list of my equipment.

It's probably worth noting that I haven't had a single bug while playing Skyrim either, so maybe I'm just obscenely lucky. Even this second terrible patch did absolutely nothing to damage my experience, because it seems to have not caused a single bug or issue. Yay Skyrim.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you dual wielded and had to heal and then go back to fight? Do you ever miss info if your buffs are still on? Have game forgotten your hotkey settings 1000 times per hour? Have you ever scrolled when just trying to look at "Active Effects"? Have you ever sold something that you shouldn't have? Have you ever chosen wrong line in conversation when knowing you pressed right one? List goes on... If you can answer all these "No" - good you are probably enjoying the game :) I wish you luck, most of others have ran out of it. Edited by ScorpionHunter

I don't adore the UI, there are a few minor bug issues I have with it, but I think its quite functional, and better than most UIs.

Not sure why everyone hates it. I haven't seen a single post yet detailing why it is so bad, simply that it is so bad.

Edit, someone got a post in before me explaining why :)

Have you dual wielded and had to heal and then go back to fight?

Yep, went back to DW no problem.

Do you ever miss info if your buffs are still on?

Nope, the active effects menu works wonders for that. And its easily accessible.

Have game forgotten your hotkey settings 1000 times per hour?

Hasn't happened yet.

Have you ever scrolled when just trying to look at "Active Effects"?

Wut?

have you ever sold something that you shouldn't have?

User error --> bad ui?

Have you ever chosen wrong line in conversation when knowing you pressed right one?

This is one of the few minor bugs I've run into, and have found easy enough to solve by simply using the mouse(ie, same as most rpgs).

Are those really the reasons why its so "terrible"? Wow...

Edited by Trey5511

Most of the peeps who hate it are probably using a 2 button standard mouse and basic keyboard. With my N52 TE gamepad I get 10 extra hotkey buttons just for my thumb. UI is great with the proper hardware setup.

Only change in the UI that's needed is a buff timer bar to show on the main window, only thing I would change.

Have you dual wielded and had to heal and then go back to fight? Do you ever miss info if your buffs are still on? Have game forgotten your hotkey settings 1000 times per hour? Have you ever scrolled when just trying to look at "Active Effects"? have you ever sold something that you shouldn't have? Have you ever chosen wrong line in conversation when knowing you pressed right one? etc.... If you can answer all these "No" - good you are probably enjoying the game :) i wish you luck, most of others have ran out of it.

1. most of my healing, admittedly, is done in-menu or with hotkeys since I play without a HUD (answer is no)

2. no

3. no

4. no

5. Once I bought a cave bear pelt that I didn't mean to... but that's the only time

6. no; arrow keys and enter (I explained that above)

Edited by Rennn

@ Trey5511

Have you dual wielded and had to heal and then go back to fight?

Yep, went back to DW no problem.

bs, U end up with one sword

Do you ever miss info if your buffs are still on

Nope, the active effects menu works wonders for that. And its easily accessible.

click once to get to menu then select menu then scroll down to see that text Active Effects then click that - yeah very simple - (not like pressing one button possible?)

Have game forgotten your hotkey settings 1000 times per hour?

Hasn't happened yet.

it does that if you have equipped item and more in inventory - you are lucky if that hasn't happened to you

Have you ever scrolled when just trying to look at "Active Effects"?

Wut?

Yes you have and weirdly even called it "easy"

have you ever sold something that you shouldn't have?

User error --> bad ui?

ok, you're right I leave that out, my bad

But those are bugs with what I'm dealing every time I open the game - I just hope CK comes and fast....

Edited by ScorpionHunter

Most of the peeps who hate it are probably using a 2 button standard mouse and basic keyboard. With my N52 TE gamepad I get 10 extra hotkey buttons just for my thumb. UI is great with the proper hardware setup.

Only change in the UI that's needed is a buff timer bar to show on the main window, only thing I would change.

So we should dish out extra dollars on extra hardware to make a half assed port better? That's not the solution.

I'm not completely certain why people are complaining about the pc UI. In every rpg I've played (for my pc of course) the UI is a mess of dragging, dropping, and resetting cursors that seems inent on making the game terrible. I like the focus on using arrow keys and wasd in menus; finally my cursor doesn't reset to the center of the screen every time I click something, and I don't have to deal with the 'mmo action bar' system. I also like the hotkey/favorites hybrid. I hotkey roughly 5 things, then, since more than that is hard to remember when I'm constantly swapping gear, I can go right into the favorites menu for a more in-depth (but still easy to use) list of my equipment.

It's probably worth noting that I haven't had a single bug while playing Skyrim either, so maybe I'm just obscenely lucky. Even this second terrible patch did absolutely nothing to damage my experience, because it seems to have not caused a single bug or issue. Yay Skyrim.

I'm happy for you and i wish it stays that way for you, but i dont understand how you cant understand that people have problems with the ui when there were tons of points brought up, tons of topics made in tons of other forums...but please try to understand not everyone likes what you like.

Errr....no. G15 keyboard with most up to date drivers and software, Sidewinder X8 mouse, actually. Some of us have very decent hardware, thankyou. And still don't like the UI.

To those of you who are having no issues with the UI, congratulations. But try not to be so dismissive and contemptuous of those who do dislike it. Worshipping everything that Bethesda does is not, as far as I can see, compulsory, and the PC UI for Skyrim has got a dreadful mauling on other forums than this one.

I actually have a disability which affects my hands and means that a simple mouse click UI is the least physically painful, I prefer to keep key moves to either moving or fighting. Or typing. So this UI really sucks for me for that reason.

There now, a good reason for you.

See you said it yourself...the ui wasnt made for standard mouse and basic keyboard....whats so hard to not to understand why people are complaining.

Edited by pavy