Forced Password Resets

Dark0ne

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@CG123

Yeah, decrypting passwords should not be possible, if stored properly in the database. How come?

Ask Yahoo. They are the latest victim of a password stealing database hack. I hope you didn't use the same password for your bank account that you used for your Yahoo account.

BTW, the Nexus hack was THREE YEARS AGO and they are just now getting the passwords they hacked THREE YEARS AGO decrypted.

If you have changed your password anytime in the last three years you are not hacked.

In response to post #41055575. #41057105, #41057950, #41063575, #41065210, #41067250, #41068110, #41069375, #41078570, #41079380, #41080470, #41083830, #41086180, #41086975 are all replies on the same post.

hatsjer wrote: Well... Time to reset my password nearly everywhere I suppose.
RoyBatterian wrote: You should never use the same password on more than one site.
hatsjer wrote: I'm just a lazy man. I guess I pay for the consequences now.
trudgy wrote: for lazy people like me, you just need a password manager.
turulo wrote: I use Keepass (opensource in sourceforge) to manage all my passwords, every site has a random password with numbers, digits and symbols. That is the most secure and simple way I know to keep passwords.
Xavec_Telvanni wrote: Lol I use wordpad...
glover wrote: lol wordpad i use lastpass its been pretty good
Eolhin wrote: I use a pencil and paper. *wry chuckle* Good luck hacking that, and if someone is in my house to read it... then I have bigger problems anyway.
Shezrie wrote: Same here. I keep all my passwords on a rolodex.
ThisTimeIBeAGoodGirlSir wrote: Best place to keep your password is your head . How to create easy to remember password ?

For example, get first letter of one of your favorite songs:

"I love rock'n'roll"

Plus extra symbols:

# &

Password:

IL#R'n'R&
Trosski wrote: Lol!!! Rolodex. I haven't heard or seen that word used in like 20 years.
Sulhir wrote: I have a simple algorithm I made up when I was a teenager that changes every 5-7 months.
huskyclaw wrote: Gotta go with pencil & paper with labels that only I can understand :p
crazyocod wrote: I use the same password for everything... I just tack on a word at the end specific to each site. For instance. Password321N3xus, Password321B3thnet, Password321Gm4il. Anytime I'm told to never use the same password for other sites... I feel my conscience is clear. When life gives you lemons!... you throw those nasty assfruits back and tell it to bring you Mountain Dew n'stead.

i like this guy :D. i have issues remembering things so i have MOSTLY the same passwords for things (i have like 3 or 4 that i have used mostly) my bank and email however are random and stored in a secret location *cough* desktop *cough*

In response to post #41055575. #41057105, #41057950, #41063575, #41065210, #41067250, #41068110, #41069375, #41078570, #41079380, #41080470, #41083830, #41086180, #41086975, #41093930 are all replies on the same post.

hatsjer wrote: Well... Time to reset my password nearly everywhere I suppose.
RoyBatterian wrote: You should never use the same password on more than one site.
hatsjer wrote: I'm just a lazy man. I guess I pay for the consequences now.
trudgy wrote: for lazy people like me, you just need a password manager.
turulo wrote: I use Keepass (opensource in sourceforge) to manage all my passwords, every site has a random password with numbers, digits and symbols. That is the most secure and simple way I know to keep passwords.
Xavec_Telvanni wrote: Lol I use wordpad...
glover wrote: lol wordpad i use lastpass its been pretty good
Eolhin wrote: I use a pencil and paper. *wry chuckle* Good luck hacking that, and if someone is in my house to read it... then I have bigger problems anyway.
Shezrie wrote: Same here. I keep all my passwords on a rolodex.
ThisTimeIBeAGoodGirlSir wrote: Best place to keep your password is your head . How to create easy to remember password ?

For example, get first letter of one of your favorite songs:

"I love rock'n'roll"

Plus extra symbols:

# &

Password:

IL#R'n'R&
Trosski wrote: Lol!!! Rolodex. I haven't heard or seen that word used in like 20 years.
Sulhir wrote: I have a simple algorithm I made up when I was a teenager that changes every 5-7 months.
huskyclaw wrote: Gotta go with pencil & paper with labels that only I can understand :p
crazyocod wrote: I use the same password for everything... I just tack on a word at the end specific to each site. For instance. Password321N3xus, Password321B3thnet, Password321Gm4il. Anytime I'm told to never use the same password for other sites... I feel my conscience is clear. When life gives you lemons!... you throw those nasty assfruits back and tell it to bring you Mountain Dew n'stead.
AlienXtream wrote: i like this guy :D. i have issues remembering things so i have MOSTLY the same passwords for things (i have like 3 or 4 that i have used mostly) my bank and email however are random and stored in a secret location *cough* desktop *cough*

@turulo

Kudos for suggesting keepass. I use it as well, great password manager

In response to post #41091500.

CG123 wrote: Yeah, decrypting passwords should not be possible, if stored properly in the database. How come?

It's absolutely possible, just more or less difficult /time consuming depending on the level of encryption employed and the complexity of the password itself. This Computerphile vid shows how it's done

In response to post #41091500. #41094200 is also a reply to the same post.

CG123 wrote: Yeah, decrypting passwords should not be possible, if stored properly in the database. How come?
Skkragggh wrote: It's absolutely possible, just more or less difficult /time consuming depending on the level of encryption employed and the complexity of the password itself. This Computerphile vid shows how it's done

Yeah, most encryption, especially older methods, are quite easy to decode these days.

Well things like this does happen from time to time. You can try and prevent it but even then someone will get through if they really want to. But its nice to see that when people do get through that there is a good responce and that things are done to correct it. And thanks for the information.

The EASIEST way to make a password is to use a format like the following word_number(4 or more digits) this what my bank requires for their passwords A good example would be Spot_1976. Pick something like your Grandmothers cats name an underscore and then the year of an important personal event