Forced Password Resets

Dark0ne

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #41058105.

osmiumbin wrote: Hello Dark0ne, can you please let us know what hashing algorithm you are using to store the passwords? It matters for brute force attacks especially.

More about that here:

Cheers!

Yeah because telling the hackers "THIS IS HOW WE ENCRYPT OUR PASSWORDS!" will totally help things. In all seriousness though, while it would be nice to know, it would also be very, very bad for security reasons.

In response to post #41055575. #41057105, #41057950 are all replies on the same post.

hatsjer wrote: Well... Time to reset my password nearly everywhere I suppose.
RoyBatterian wrote: You should never use the same password on more than one site.
hatsjer wrote: I'm just a lazy man. I guess I pay for the consequences now.

for lazy people like me, you just need a password manager.

In response to post #41058105. #41063005 is also a reply to the same post.

osmiumbin wrote: Hello Dark0ne, can you please let us know what hashing algorithm you are using to store the passwords? It matters for brute force attacks especially.

More about that here:

Cheers!
lued123 wrote: Yeah because telling the hackers "THIS IS HOW WE ENCRYPT OUR PASSWORDS!" will totally help things. In all seriousness though, while it would be nice to know, it would also be very, very bad for security reasons.

Or, instead, everyone can go on ahead and watch the video about choosing passwords that's linked in the description of the video you've linked us to (
), and just stop using terrible passwords.

In response to post #41058105. #41063005, #41063875 are all replies on the same post.

More about that here:

Cheers!
lued123 wrote: Yeah because telling the hackers "THIS IS HOW WE ENCRYPT OUR PASSWORDS!" will totally help things. In all seriousness though, while it would be nice to know, it would also be very, very bad for security reasons.
graymaybe wrote: Or, instead, everyone can go on ahead and watch the video about choosing passwords that's linked in the description of the video you've linked us to (
), and just stop using terrible passwords.

Algorithms for encrypting passwords are well known and their strength comes from the algorithm itself and the quality of the password and not from keeping them a secret.

In response to post #41055575. #41057105, #41057950, #41063575 are all replies on the same post.

hatsjer wrote: Well... Time to reset my password nearly everywhere I suppose.
RoyBatterian wrote: You should never use the same password on more than one site.
hatsjer wrote: I'm just a lazy man. I guess I pay for the consequences now.
trudgy wrote: for lazy people like me, you just need a password manager.

I use Keepass (opensource in sourceforge) to manage all my passwords, every site has a random password with numbers, digits and symbols. That is the most secure and simple way I know to keep passwords.