Do you plan to switch to Skryim remastered/special edition?

Crossforge

Are you planning to play Skyrim Remastered/Special Edition?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be making the switch?

• Yes, I'll be switching over
    • No, I'm planning to stick to the older version

Well it's going to be free and a separate game so yeah I'm installing it as soon as it becomes available and giving it a whirl.

All we've seen of the Remaster is a couple of minutes of not very good quality footage of what it looks like on the console versions, so I'm interested in seeing what it'll be like on PC, going to take a wander round all the holds and see how much of my current mod list has been made redundant.

Will grab the revamped CK as soon as it is released and take a look at what is needed to port mods over. If it is as easy as open in new CK and resave then any non-SKSE & non SkyUI dependent mods are getting converted as fast as I can. Why force the mod authors to do it when I can do it myself?

The updated SKSE is done when it's done, someone will eventually step up to the plate to create a new MCM for the Remaster, until then I've still got my existing modded Skyrim and an incentive to get off my arse and improve my own modding.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read various "opinions" of what to expect and to be honest, most ( not all ) of what I read, seems to imply that this is going to be mostly for the CONSOLE gaming systems.

The PC, will not likely see / get a whole lot.

I do agree w/several posts:

With the no small frustrations with FO-4, I finally just gave up and will wait another month or two, before I try playing again.

The constant updates, that were trashing my game. The " crippling " the PC players game, because of the Console Players.

Then the frustration of the FO4SE - Achievements Enabled Mod and a few other mods, trying to keep up. It was just annoying.

I do NOT fault the Mod Community on this at all.

They were doing their best to " keep up " - but the sometimes, literally " hit and run " updates and such. I felt their pain and frustration.

One of the other ' threads ' that I read, was basically it's an ENB ... which > IF < that is the case, it will be annoying, because one " ENB ", simply does not fit all players.

So with the various reports of " this " and " that " ... it is basically a wait and see.

It is essentially super-customized-ultimate-version-of.how-I-want-Skyrim-to-be-like vs Vanilla Skyrim with slightly better graphics. So, yeah, I am in no rush to "upgrade". I mean, there is a reason it will be free for PC users who have the legendary edition.

I'm looking forward to if bethesda makes skyrim remastered the only available version of skyrim once it's out.

I've started playing skyrim really late. Mod support is great. Though there are many mods that simply won't apply their improvements to the DLC.

What I'm looking forward to in the new version is that now every mod that comes out doesn't have an excuse to not support DLC content.

If and when I change to the new version, that'll depend, my current machine can't even run the old skyrim at a reliable framerate with many of the settings severily reduced.

It is essentially held-together-with-gaffer-tape-&-wishful-thinking-version-of.how-I-want-Skyrim-to-be-like vs 64 bit Vanilla Skyrim with DX11 graphics. So, yeah, I am in no rush to "upgrade". It's a "sidegrade", you will be able to have both versions installed at the same time. I mean, there is a reason it will be free for PC users who have the legendary edition. So they will make mods for the console versions.

Seriously, I really don't get all the hate and negativity.

It will be free.

It will be a separate game that you will be able to install alongside your existing modded Skyrim.

You will be able to play your duct-taped-together-Xbox-180/P**s4-level-graphics-with-a-ton-of-mods-to-make-it-look-like-a-2011-game and you will be able to check out the looks-like-a-modded-game-out-of-the-box remaster to see what mods you don't need anymore.

Did I mention 64 bit? No more Shesons memory patch, no more EnBoost, because it will use all the memory you have available without needing third party executables to get around the 32 bit memory limit. That alone is worth the price of the free download.

If you decide you don't like it after actually checking it out? Hey, no worries, because it was free.

Stop cutting off your nose off to spite your face, look at what the modding community has done with the crippled last-gen console version that we have now, and try to imagine how far we can push a full 64bit version.

You mean the hate and negativity that you put in my mouth?

I have nothing against the SE as such, but I am not thrilled or excited about using it myself seeing that I already essentially have what it will offer. Sure 64bit is nice, and so is that it will look better out of the box, but imo that is offset by the lack of mods that will never be converted, the need to convert mods, and the need to remod my game. Keep in mind that this is my personal view on my personal benefit or lack thereof and consider that I personally don't even care much for graphics.

And, frankly, SE a new game does not make. It will still be Skyrim which despite being pretty good does get stale eventually.

Lastly I'd like to point out that the concept of a duct-tape-could-implode-at-any-moment-modded-Skyrim vs. super-duper-robust-invincible-cuz-64bit-SE is a false dichotomy. I am fairly certain one could ruin a SE installation's stability if one lacked the know-how, and I am 100% certain that one can have a super modded version of Skyrim that is stable.

That is my reasoning for why I personally am in no rush to "make the switch". That is what this thread is about, and that is how you need to read my response.

You were however treating it as if I was giving an assessment of my overall thoughts on the SE's impact on the community.

Considering that there are pros and cons. The pros are what you mentioned: 64bit, better graphics out of the box, it's free, console mods. The cons are that there might likey be a lot of stealing i.e. converting-without-asking of mods.

So, in a nutshell: Do I think the SE is the worst thing that ever happened and will destroy the community? Not at all. I think the positives will likely overweigh. However, am I personally being super excited sbout it counting the days until its release? Nah.

It will be free.

It will be a separate game that you will be able to install alongside your existing modded Skyrim.

You will be able to play your duct-taped-together-Xbox-180/P**s4-level-graphics-with-a-ton-of-mods-to-make-it-look-like-a-2011-game and you will be able to check out the looks-like-a-modded-game-out-of-the-box remaster to see what mods you don't need anymore.

Did I mention 64 bit? No more Shesons memory patch, no more EnBoost, because it will use all the memory you have available without needing third party executables to get around the 32 bit memory limit. That alone is worth the price of the free download.

If you decide you don't like it after actually checking it out? Hey, no worries, because it was free.

Stop cutting off your nose off to spite your face, look at what the modding community has done with the crippled last-gen console version that we have now, and try to imagine how far we can push a full 64bit version.

What hate? What negativity? At most, people are saying they'd rather wait until SSE is a known quantity and mods have a chance to catch up. What's the big deal? ("cutting of your nose to spite your face" - where the heck does that come from?) You're talking as though people are saying "boo! hiss! Get this SSE crap out of here, I'll never change!" But nobody's saying that. Not even close.

Yes, a 64 bit platform will bring improvements. But that's just stating the obvious that nobody's missing.

Imagine this: Multiplayer Skyrim where other players can just temporarily jump in and replace the enemy AI for brief periods, as the Dragonborn approaches the enemies. To increase the difficulty level, not intended to stop/defeat the Dragonborn. All is processed on the Dragonborn player's PC, and the other players just take over the AI, using an automatic server to dole them out, similar to players jumping into some other games (was it GTA5? And MGSV I think) to antagonize the main player. That way the Dragonborn player has zero lag introduced. I think the Skyrim fanbase is big enough that many ppl would do this (as an antagonist).

Edited by HalloweenWeed