ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

"Game unavailable"? wtf?

Rennn

It happens from time to time with all games on Steam. The server is down, unreachable, or too busy maybe. It usually sorts itself out within a couple of minutes.

How would a server problem affect a game that's completely single player? :rolleyes:

I would love to know but I have had this problem with Civ 5 and that is single player as well. It wants to see the Steam server when it launches...if it can't sometimes it has a temper tantrum.

Civilization V is also a multiplayer game.

That's nice but I have never played it in multi player and have no desire to do so. The problems I have had playing Civ 5 in single player are the reason I was unhappy about being forced into Steam again by Skyrim. I have had many problems and times where I could not play for hours or days at a time. Steam is crap, the pirates bypass it in seconds and all it does it keep people who bought the game from playing it then they want to.

Steam is not crap. Just because you don't like it and have had problems with it does not make it "crap". And regardless if you want to play it in single player only, if you don't run it in offline mode, it HAS to load the multiplayer portion also.

When the DRM makes it so only the people who buy the game can't play it I call it crap.

Steam is not crap. Just because you don't like it and have had problems with it does not make it "crap". And regardless if you want to play it in single player only, if you don't run it in offline mode, it HAS to load the multiplayer portion also.

When the DRM makes it so only the people who buy the game can't play it I call it crap.

Because it's totally designed to do that and does it all the time right? Right? (Spoiler: No)

Every program ever made has had and will have problems. None of these are permanent.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/002/686/Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1280645041

Because it's totally designed to do that and does it all the time right? Right? (Spoiler: No)

Every program ever made has had and will have problems. None of these are permanent.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/002/686/Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif?1280645041

I can still play games I bought in CD/DVD over 10 years ago. They always launch no matter what. The people who pirated Civ 5 and Skyrim can always play, no matter what. What is good about Steam again?

I can still play games I bought in CD/DVD over 10 years ago. They always launch no matter what. The people who pirated Civ 5 and Skyrim can always play, no matter what. What is good about Steam again?

First, pirating is irrelevant because it's illegal. I'm not going to discuss that here.

Second, there are a lot of reasons why Steam is good. Here's a few.

- Online store with a huge variety.

- Steam-Only discounts/deals/bundles.

- Permanent game "storage" (Verify CD key, you will always have a copy. Lose the CD? No problem, just download it from the Steam servers.)

- Automatic updates. (You can cry about the latest patch for Skyrim ruining whatever. But that's Bethesda that did it, not Steam. Plus you can opt out of automatic updating. It's not their fault you don't read your options.)

- Community (Friends list attached to your account. Overlay that works in most, if not all games (Even ones that aren't on Steam, you can add your own via the executable.) that allows you to talk to friends, in-game web browser, and more.)

- Steam cloud. (Although there hasn't been a lot of games that has utilized this completely yet, they will in the future. Gamesaves saved to Steam cloud, load save games from another PC.

- Offline mode (Dont want to bother with all that? Just go into offline mode. Not that hard.)

I've never had a problem with the DRM at all. But, you can look at anything and find something bad about it. If that's what you do, then that's what you do and I pity you.

First, pirating is irrelevant because it's illegal. I'm not going to discuss that here.

Second, there are a lot of reasons why Steam is good. Here's a few.

- Online store with a huge variety.

- Steam-Only discounts/deals/bundles.

- Permanent game "storage" (Verify CD key, you will always have a copy. Lose the CD? No problem, just download it from the Steam servers.)

- Automatic updates. (You can cry about the latest patch for Skyrim ruining whatever. But that's Bethesda that did it, not Steam. Plus you can opt out of automatic updating. It's not their fault you don't read your options.)

- Community (Friends list attached to your account. Overlay that works in most, if not all games (Even ones that aren't on Steam, you can add your own via the executable.) that allows you to talk to friends, in-game web browser, and more.)

- Steam cloud. (Although there hasn't been a lot of games that has utilized this completely yet, they will in the future. Gamesaves saved to Steam cloud, load save games from another PC.

- Offline mode (Dont want to bother with all that? Just go into offline mode. Not that hard.)

I've never had a problem with the DRM at all. But, you can look at anything and find something bad about it. If that's what you do, then that's what you do and I pity you.

Great, everyone is different. I am not complaining just to complain. The theory of Steam is great, they just haven't performed. The only thing I care about is being able to play my game when I want to. I only play single player, I will never want to load a save on another PC (if I do it will be because I replaced my PC and I can copy my files just fine thanks). I work a lot and have other things going on in my life besides games. I use games to relax and entertain myself, when I click the icon it should play. I have not had a problem with Skyrim yet but I had several whole evenings where I could not play a single player game of Civ 5 when I had only 1 day a week where I had a chance to play it. That is very not cool when you work a few full weeks, finally have enough time to get into a complicated game for several hours in a row and suddenly you can't play for some very obscure reason. Why is this hard to understand?

Offline mode? That always works too right? I tried that after it would not launch and guess what? It still would not launch. Great, that worked wonders. Verify files to fix it? It does fix it sometimes but I have never had to do anything like that in a non Steam game. What is happening to the files that Steam has to fix them? I understand you work for Steam or whatever but you should still understand some of us just want to play when we want to play without a hassle.