Can't get into Skyrim... my reasons why.

Twinturbo4486

I guess I kind of feel the need to rant... well not exactly rant but to kind of tell why I think Skyrim isn't doing it for me. Also I'd like to know what you Elder Scrolls veterans think and if you agree in any way...

First off, I play Skyrim on PC. I play all of my games on PC. I just love the mouse + kb, the graphics, unique and in depth games and I can go on and on. Im sure most of you other PC gamers can understand. To me, consoles are slowly ruining PC gaming and it only seems to be getting worse and this is the main reason I think I cannot get into Skyrim.

Now I don't know if I'd consider myself an Elder Scrolls veteran but I have played since Morrowind was released so I've been at it awhile. This new Elder Scrolls game is so dumbed down it's not even funny. I am the type of gamer that loves depth in a game. I feel like Skyrim has taken too much of that depth away. Do you guys remember all of the great things about Morrowind? How much depth there was in customizing your character? Everything from each piece of armor, to putting points in skills just how you liked... to creating spells from scratch. You could literally customize a spell tailored specifically to your needs and what you could afford/resource. These were things unheard of in other games... I mean it was literally groundbreaking. But now, all of that is washed away to create a game that is so much simpler and dumbed down for they SAY "The Average Player". Well I really hate the average player. They should call it the "Average Dumbass", because a 10 year old could catch on to the older Elder Scroll's games just given a little time.

One thing that really bugs me is I really liked the skill point system. How when you leveled up you got a set amount of points to put into WHATEVER skills you wanted. I honestly don't think I ever heard one person complain about this system... everyone LOVED IT! They were like wow I can put points into all these skills, this is amazing. I can customize my character however way I want. Ok, some of you may like the new perk system, but you can't tell me you were disappointed with the system before. But now, they want to make a "skill tree" type system. I guess it appeals to all the WoW kids or something... a "Talent Tree". I know a lot of people will disagree with this, and I can understand... but I really liked picking a class and sticking to it. They had so many damn classes you could basically pick a hybrid class... then customize it even further by allocating points in different areas. TO ME, the way it is now... it's less customizable. People say, "Now you can be whatever you want to be!" , but before anyone with a decent level IQ could make their character whatever they want to be. The Perk System in place now is provides a lot less customization than the old skill point system.Again though, that would be too difficult for the "Average Dumbass". I like how PC gamers who made this franchise get shafted in the end.

Another thing is the reduced armor slots. Why do this? The only thing I can think of is to make it easier for the "Average Dumbass". Not so much armor to have to worry about? I just don't get it. One ring slot? Really? I can't choose a pair of pants to wear? What happened to spears and crossbows? How did they magically disappear? Where are my stats? Why can't I look at my stats like other games and see what they are? Oh , everything is based off perks now and simplified... I guess it's so much easier for the average player not to have to worry about stats. What kind of RPG is this where you cannot look at a character sheet and stats?

There's many more things I could go to town on. Armor, skills are NOT the only few things that make me unable to get into this game. It is the lack of depth in comparison to the previous titles. Oblivion was simplified a lot from Morrowind, but it was still bearable. I still had a good bit of depth and things to tinker with to keep me somewhat interested. Skyrim on the other hand is way too simple and generic for my tastes... and it just doesn't stand out anymore as a unique game with things you can't do in other games. The one thing I will admit that I love about Skyrim that I won't be able to enjoy anymore is the world. Even if it's not the best graphics out there... the detail and hand carved world they created was just amazing. I enjoyed every aspect of the hand crafted world of Skyrim I saw and could see how much time and detail was put into it. Walking around viewing the world was my best Skyrim experience, but unfortunately only that isn't going to hold my attention.

I know it's all about the $$$, and that's why they went the route they did. It sold with the Fallout Series, it sold with WoW and MANY other games where simple works but why ruin what made this franchise great. I can understand using this system and route for a FPS like Fallout. It works well. This is an RPG! It's supposed to have depth... character stat sheets, many armor slots and skill points most of all! Now it just feels like another FPS with RPG Elements. I just think an amazing in depth series such as the Elder Scrolls should've stuck to what made it great.... and IMO, that was DEPTH.

Edited by Twinturbo4486

dude you can't *censored* about something just because it doesn't fit into your elitist idea of a game. Games should be accessible to everyone, not to the self proclaimed chosen few. Besides they didn't really simplify the armour, they streamlined it. All thats been merged are the greaves and the chest.

I would first like to state that there have been many and I mean MANY complaints about Oblivions leveling system. Not only were you restricted but you had to make sure to level the correct stats to survive the onslaught of the freakin bandits who leveled with you and wore ebony armor. I agree that there is a bit too much dumbing down of the system but I sure as hell wouldn't choose oblivions style over this one.

As mentioned above this sounds more about elitism than anything else. With the new perk system your character doesn't get stronger unless he levels the skills through the perks (tested and true) So instead of grinding everything to make the all god character now you are limited to the level cap amount of perks which really makes you choose what you want to play as instead of a All Powerful Elitist. I been playing RPG's since the 1990's and I can say I agree on a few of your points but overall this game has blown oblivion away. Now I will tell you a little known fact...MOST people say Oblivion is no good without mods. Why? because the mechanics in the game are so screwed that it is game breaking. But by all means if your so annoyed with skyrim Go back to the other titles or wait for mods to be released to "Fix" what you find to be a problem.

I will agree though Morrowind was and still is EPIC! lol ^_^ Good Luck

Well for the new perk system its far better then the older system in morrowind at 25,50,75,100 you got a perk and it was automatic at lest now you have many options per skill so the classes are technically more complex. I think no rpg is perfect I love morrowind but it has its flaws I say overall skyrim they definitely got more right then they did get wrong.

The less armor slots I didn’t like but it bring some balance to the game far as enchanting as in tes 3 and 4 you could stack enchanted armor to a ridiculous amount leading to exploiting the game mechanics. I guess they could of just nerf the heck out of the enchantments but im sure ppl would complain about that too. It really doesnt matter what they do there will always be some ppl that will dislike it for one reason or another thats what mods are for.

Edited by Bloodinfested

I am fairly elitist as well when it comes to PC gaming. I even invested in a very expensive keyboard and mouse so that I could fully customize my keys (they are both ultra programmable) so even when stupid developers hard code keys, my set-up can get around it. I believe consoles have really ruined the gaming experience for veterans like us. That said...

Skyrim is still fun! There is still plenty of customization. The Perks work great. I never could get into Morrowind, but Fallout 3, FNV and Oblivion were excellent, especially after I modded Oblivion with 100 mods. And, that's the other advantage of PC gaming - modders fix everything! In Oblivion, I used four MEGA-mods that used FIXED LEVEL monsters everywhere and fixed level loot. So, you could explore areas that were too tough for you, and through cleverness and luck, the thief I was, I could sneak past tough monsters and find excellent loot above my level - which is how I thrill in these games. I also TURNED OFF the skill leveling system which I did not like (the use it, it gets better - sounds great, but I could just cast heal 1000x as I walk through the woods and became an archmage of healing or something) - I REPLACED it with a traditional D&D skill mod where you get experience ONLY for killing monsters and completing quests. How the *%*^& did the modder even do that?! He changed the game so fundamentally!! Both of these mod combos (along with other others, updating graphics, providing sea life and nice reflective surfaces for the water, etc.) made it an entirely different game.

And you can do the same with Skyrim, and make it the game *YOU* want. And that's the best part of our PC gaming elitism. For all the nitpicks I have with Bethesda of low-res textures, etc. and horrible keyboard support, they, in their infinite wisdom, at least let the modding community finish their job for them by providing excellent open source code.

So, buck and enjoy and go out and adventure!

I think the OP might have rose tinted memories of prior TES games (not Arena).

It's a given that eventually you become a do everything unstoppable demigod eventually in this series... but at least it takes a good long while in skyrim thanks to perks.

In Morrowind/Oblivion/Daggerfall you were there by level 20 and defining your character was mostly down to self imposed limitations.

You're making a mistake comparing Skyrim to other games, and depriving yourself of a good time. Sure Skyrim has the same backstory as Oblivion, but its a whole new game, not Oblivion 2, or Morrowind 3. The meat and potatoes of Skyrim is its amazing, incredibly rich world, and how your character explores it and interacts with it. I can't think of another game that delivers that kind of experience as well as Skyrim does. I'm glad its not like Call of Duty, the same game released every year with a few minor changes, blech. If it was I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Instead of complaining that Skyrim is different, you should be glad that it is.

Edited by BleedingCrown

Many of the guys who really got into Morrowind have not been too happy since then. I understand the "depth" that is missing but I still like the way that Skyrim was done.

Its still a great and OPEN game and that's what is important to me.