FLAME WAR!

ResidentWeevil2077

I came across a set of instructions detailing how to participate in a flame war. It's quite comical, I sure got a kick or two out of it :P :D

-------------------------------------------------------

How to Participate in a Flame War

1. Tell your opponent that the argument is over, because it's degenerated into pointlessness.... doing so at the end of your post giving you the lengthy last word in it.

2. Predict the imminent death of the Internet. ("Film at 11!")

3. Call your opponent a Nazi.

4. Change the subject by pointing out all of your opponent's grammar and spelling mistakes.

5. Post some horribly vicious and insulting note about your opponent.... several minutes later, post a profuse apology, claiming that you'd intended to send the message privately to a friend.

6a. Refer frequently to pretend hordes of lurking supporters, who have mailed you privately to express their agreement and gratitude.... but aren't willing to come out publicly and say anything.

6b. Accuse your opponent of trying to intimidate your hordes of supporters.... add indignantly that you "will not be silenced".

7. Attempt to impress/silence your opponent by discussing your professional credentials and experience related to the topic at hand, which clearly make your opinions better and more correct than anyone else's.... be vague about details if your credentials and experience aren't actually all that impressive. (Also known as "duelling resumes".)

8. Accuse your opponent of being overly sensitive, or suggest in a patronizing tone that they "must be having a bad day".

9. Claim that an insult or other rudeness was "just a joke", and suggest that your opponent has no sense of humour.

10. Claim that *everything* is a matter of opinion, that there are no such things as facts or truth.

11a. Claim that facts are absolute.... that there's never any such thing as dispute or disagreement about a fact.

11b. Assume that everything you learned in college, no matter how many years ago nor how much a field has advanced in the meantime, is completely unchanged.

12. Redefine words to mean whatever you want them to mean. (Also known as the "Humpty Dumpty" defense.)

13. Refuse to look something up, if challenged to do so.... no need, surely your memory is perfect.

14. Ask your opponent to supply lengthy and detailed references for their every statement.

15. Claim that if something works for you/your spouse/your kid/your parent/your best friend/your boss/your hairdresser's first cousin's dog's veterinarian, it will always work for everyone.... and if it doesn't, it's because they're not doing it right.

16. Tell your opponent that you've traced their IP address, and if they don't let you win, you'll post their personal information in the public forum.

As you well know, most of this is intended to be humorous, but I've actually come across a few members who have actually used some of these techniques on me :rolleyes: And I'll admit that I happen to use these every once in a while :whistling:

...almost all of it is true... :mellow:

That is a complete and blatant lie, Nazi scum! I have dozens of people who e-mailed me to say that they agree but are too afraid to speak publicly because you harshly abused them. If you think you're case is so true, then there must be ample proof, so I command you to post lengthy and detailed references. It is a fact that I'm right and you're wrong, and facts can't be argued. Because of your horrible crime against logic, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire internet is shut down! Also, that should be a semi-colon in between worryingly and almost. Maybe you're not stupid; maybe you're just having a "bad day."

Wow, it does work...

How can you people be so stupid to say that these kinds of tactics don't work! I have ample proof right here in this very post! You idiots are blind to all reason and logic! I have dozens of people pm me and say that they agree that this works; they're just too afraid to post because of some lunatic who sat and yelled at Terminator for saying it's all true. Well I've traced your IP addresses and will publicly post them if you don't give in. How do you like them apples!?

By the way, this argument is over, because it has simply degenerated into pointlessness.

;D

Why you imbecile! How dare you try to manipulate my friends - you've reduced them to mere chicken shats with that little post of yours! They're now too frackin' 'fraid of you now, O mighty Ninja Lord! Be gone with you! :P ...Oh, is the little Ninja Lord gonna cry to his mommy? I'm sorry, but you're idiocy has caused an abrupt and immediate suspension of ALL internet activities within the next 3-5 business days.

PS: BTW, your apples reek of sour cow dung, you hippoc'RAT'!

Archived