Do you think horses are compleetly useless in skyrim?

sixcross

Has anyone else noticed the complete uselessness of horses in skyrim? They seem a lot slower then in oblivion and they are more of a hindrance since there are so many hills and slopes. What are your thoughts? Maybe we can get some mods once cs is released to possibly add storage. Have you ever used a horse, or even noticed that they are in skyrim?

They feel far too slow to be enjoyable, since I can sprint very fast for a long distance and recharge quickly, it's usualy a lot easier and faster for me to simply run everywhere like the big, manly hairy-chested Sorceress I am. Undignified, but effective. I like horse, they can be great companions, but to be callously honest, not even the cute Riften horse is enough to make me want to put gold into owning one. Afterall, I could be buying another fix with that(Ebony ingot addiction)

Edited by Vindekarr

I bought mine, just for RP purposes, but I rarely use her. It has even less functionality than it had back in Oblivion.

If I didn't have to get off my horse whenever I meet a mob, and if such mob wouldn't automatically attack my horse and kill it, while completely ignoring me and resulting in a waste of 1000 gold, I'd probably ride around Skyrim a bit more.

I find horses incredibly useful in Skyrim.

First of all it's faster than me on foot.

Second it can also sprint using the sprint key using your endurance as a meter so it's still faster.

Third it will still trot along at a normal running pace even when I'm so heavily overburdened by grabbing everthing that's not nailed down in the dungeon/tower/castle/whatever.

I once carried over 5000 weight of stuff when I moved from Breezehome to Hjarim

Fourth It acts as a third or fourth attacker with my hound alongside my follower Lydia whenever we have a wilderness encounter and it's smart enough to run away when it's too badly hurt, unlike say Lydia :biggrin:

So yes a Horse is incredibly useful.

PS: My modus operandi is to kill everything in a dungeon then loot it to bedrock if possible then sell to the merchants in town. :tongue: I have a backlog of items to sell due to merchants not having enough cash but It'll get sold sooner or later.

Edited by khbazur

It's ridiculous how easily they die on you. I've gone through 3 horses. I installed the "essential" horse mod so my horse won't die on me anymore. I'm hoping this will make him more useful. Cause I'm finding it easier just to go on foot since one little jump kills a horse...but with the mod, that will change things.

I really don't like being forced to ride in third person. I hate it. I keep running into everything and falling off bridges and cliffs. I don't understand why they didn't allow us to ride it in first person. You really can't see where you're going in third person...you can only see what's right in front of you. I can't really check out the scenery or look up at the night sky and enjoy the stars.

The horses are also very slow. Way too slow. It's ridiculous how slow they are. And they will do a little gallop for you for about 10 seconds but then they tire out and you have to trod along again.

I can run faster farther than my horse. There's something very wrong with that. It's not like we can up the horses adrenaline like we can our own. Besides the clickity clacking of the horses hooves on the path that I love to listen to while traveling by horse, I'm finding the horses to be more burdensome than anything.