They are among us!

Stronglav

It may be just me, but it seem that before the Institute was destroyed; settlements where not attacked by synths. After the Institute is destroyed, settlements are occasionally attacked by synths. So there may be some validity to the observations of the OP.

I've had plenty of insider synth attacks and haven't even built my teleporter yet.

It may be just me, but it seem that before the Institute was destroyed; settlements where not attacked by synths. After the Institute is destroyed, settlements are occasionally attacked by synths. So there may be some validity to the observations of the OP.

I've had plenty of insider synth attacks and haven't even built my teleporter yet.

Well, how 'bout that. Must be a function of how quickly you get to destroying the Institute.

My first attack by synth settlers was after the attack on The Castle by synths. I fought it off (with some help) but then my turrets started firing at one of my settlers, who then started attacking as did about 10 other settlers. I wondered what the hell was going on, but after they were wiped out, I searched them and found synth items.