Skyrim isn't dumbed down. Purists are.

Goliath978

@DarkGenius: I appreciate what you're saying but for the record I was just trying to exchange views and explain why I quoted the post in the first place. Never thought this would earn me so much hostility. Never thought that being a Premium Member or a long time poster was such a bad thing either.

It's not a bad thing, it's whatever you make it.

Anyone who gets offended and all riled up by what I've posted in this thread is clearly overcompensating or having a really bad day.

No, I just don't appreciate being the target of a self proclaimed anthropologist.

Truth is I meant no harm to anyone and I do apologize if I did offend anyone, chill out people, it's just a game.

You didn't harm anyone, I just spoke back. You are forgiven, ofcourse.

I expect I am too, or am I assuming too much? :P

Seriously giants are scarier than dragons. The games difficulty system needs to be revamped.

Bears are scarier than Dragons... regular bears, and even Sabercats because they don't make so much sound before attacking. A dragon always makes it perfectly clear that he is around, and once he lands, he's sitting duck.

Edited by Sabatasso

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said previously, Dragons aren't really a threat to anybody. During the first real encounter with a dragon, it got killed by NPCs, with minimal losses, while I hid out under some stairs to avoid damage.

If normal NPCs can kill dragons, why exactly should I feel threatened by them?

Yup I agree, and this may be kinda off topic but I miss some things from oblivion, like actually seeing your character in your inventory or what faction you are in and the rank with a cool little portrait for each one, but asthetic stuff, I mean gameplay wise I don't miss anything from the other TES games, I really like the "you get better at what you use" because the class system was kinda pointless.

What I seem to be reading is, "Oh they didn't include this!" or, "Oh they didn't fix this!" Learn some modding skills instead of complaining.

No need to be rude, a lot of the people complaining DO have some modding skills, even me. We just don't have the Creation Kit yet, which we will need to fix some of the stuff we think is dumbed down. So please, less of the sweeping statements.

@DarkGenius: I appreciate what you're saying but for the record I was just trying to exchange views and explain why I quoted the post in the first place. Never thought this would earn me so much hostility. Never thought that being a Premium Member or a long time poster was such a bad thing either.

It's not a bad thing, it's whatever you make it.

Anyone who gets offended and all riled up by what I've posted in this thread is clearly overcompensating or having a really bad day.

No, I just don't appreciate being the target of a self proclaimed anthropologist.

Truth is I meant no harm to anyone and I do apologize if I did offend anyone, chill out people, it's just a game.

You didn't harm anyone, I just spoke back. You are forgiven, ofcourse.

I expect I am too, or am I assuming too much? :P

Good to see that you've calmed down. Your glibness is refreshing. :biggrin:

I have no problem with people being angry or hostile because in the end that's their problem, not mine. But I'd rather avoid such unpleasantries because they put an end to any intellectual debate or any noteworthy exchange for that matter.

Anger is always a sign of weakness and I don't need a degree in anthropology to be able to tell you that.

There is really no need to lose your cool over a game because some random guy on the internet disagrees with you -even if this not so random guy happens to be me. I know I'm impressive. I've had that effect on people all my life, it can't be helped, we all have our crosses to bear. :P

As I said previously, Dragons aren't really a threat to anybody. During the first real encounter with a dragon, it got killed by NPCs, with minimal losses, while I hid out under some stairs to avoid damage.

Look at it this way, the devs wanted to bring an epic dimension and nothing does that better than dragons, whether it's Beowulf or Saint George and the Dragon. The problem is that dragons are supposed to be the ultimate foe, the big bad nasty foe that the hero defeats seconds before riding into the sunset with the girl... Not the monster that appears right at the beginning of the tutorial or when you've just found your way into the first city. Dragons are meant to be the ultimate challenge for a hero in a fantasy world or at least they should be and it's simply not the case in Skyrim.

It's probably not worse than the gates in Oblivion -I once closed a gate with a level three character and it was rather underwhelming.

Anyway that's one point on which I agree with you guys and one point that really disappointed me. I'm waiting for the Creation Kit to get my hands dirty and see how this can be modified to make sure that dragons are packing a punch.

The only foes that my Nord melee warrior considers to be really dangerous are mages especially bunch of mages who band together.

Yup I agree, and this may be kinda off topic but I miss some things from oblivion, like actually seeing your character in your inventory or what faction you are in and the rank with a cool little portrait for each one, but asthetic stuff, I mean gameplay wise I don't miss anything from the other TES games, I really like the "you get better at what you use" because the class system was kinda pointless.

Actually you can view your character while browsing the inventory. Go into third person and move the camera so you can see the front of your character and simply open the inventory.

It's not like Oblivion but it's better than opening and closing the inventory to get an idea of what your character looks like with some different gear equipped.

Look at it this way, the devs wanted to bring an epic dimension and nothing does that better than dragons, whether it's Beowulf or Saint George and the Dragon. The problem is that dragons are supposed to be the ultimate foe, the big bad nasty foe that the hero defeats seconds before riding into the sunset with the girl... Not the monster that appears right at the beginning of the tutorial or when you've just found your way into the first city. Dragons are meant to be the ultimate challenge for a hero in a fantasy world or at least they should be and it's simply not the case in Skyrim.

It's probably not worse than the gates in Oblivion -I once closed a gate with a level three character and it was rather underwhelming.

Anyway that's one point on which I agree with you guys and one point that really disappointed me. I'm waiting for the Creation Kit to get my hands dirty and see how this can be modified to make sure that dragons are packing a punch.

The only foes that my Nord melee warrior considers to be really dangerous are mages especially bunch of mages who band together.

I know this. My point is, what's the point of having dragons as some sort of big bad, when the player's involvement isn't needed to kill them? Philosophically, dragons should at least be mid-boss enemies, if not downright final-boss-types, and instead, Skyrim has them more like fire-breathing seagulls: more a nuisance than a genuine danger.

I'll be honest. I do like Skyrim, it's a much better base for mods than oblivion was and oblivion was a DAMN good launching pad. However, the vanilla game is much to shallow. The only real attachment I have to it is the Civil War questline but, thats it. The rest of the game doesn't strike me as having much depth to it beyond looking like it does.

Also, while I'm complaining, I will say that I'm not a fan of the colour pallette. Granted, it's going after a nordic look but, it's always so damn cloudy and grey... Like Britain... ugh

I know this. My point is, what's the point of having dragons as some sort of big bad, when the player's involvement isn't needed to kill them? Philosophically, dragons should at least be mid-boss enemies, if not downright final-boss-types, and instead, Skyrim has them more like fire-breathing seagulls: more a nuisance than a genuine danger.

I can tell you've never fought for your life with a seagull or tried to evade seagull dejections falling from the sky. Seagulls can ruin your clothes. Dragons not so much.

I'll be honest. I do like Skyrim, it's a much better base for mods than oblivion was and oblivion was a DAMN good launching pad. However, the vanilla game is much to shallow. The only real attachment I have to it is the Civil War questline but, thats it. The rest of the game doesn't strike me as having much depth to it beyond looking like it does.

Also, while I'm complaining, I will say that I'm not a fan of the colour pallette. Granted, it's going after a nordic look but, it's always so damn cloudy and grey... Like Britain... ugh

Mods can help with that if you're playing on the PC. ;)

I personally find the vanilla game more engaging than Oblivion (mostly for gameplay reasons I hate the speechcraft wheel and the topics in Oblivion) and IMO it's definitely on par with Fallout 3 as far as depth is concerned. Besides it seems to me that there are more things to do in Skyrim.

I can tell you've never fought for your life with a seagull or tried to evade seagull dejections falling from the sky. Seagulls can ruin your clothes. Dragons not so much.

I've actually been crapped on by a seagull before, and I've seen a classmate get crapped on by one, so you're actually right. And I thought I was giving Dragons a favorable comparison too.