Spoiler: Secret Messages

darthsloth74

The notes always begin with the author acknowledging that you've used a Shout at a previous location. Which implies the author heard the use of the Shout.

I disagree, that isn't implied at all. All that's suggested is that the author is aware that it had happened, and given people's reactions around you when you use a shout, I don't think it's much of a stretch to imagine it generates a good deal of gossip (off-camera). The author heard that you'd done it, there's nothing to suggest he actually heard you do it.

That said, the Greybeards clearly "just know somehow" after you absorb your first Dragon Soul, so it's clearly possible that the author could be someone who was themselves "special" somehow (a dragon, a greybeard, someone with a mcguffin, etc) and that they literally "heard" you do it, even if they weren't actually present. And indeed, they might have been present. I'm not dismissing the idea, but I disagree that it's implied by the note.

The "truth" of course is that it's just been written intentionally vaguely exactly so we can all enjoy a bit of wild speculation like this! :D

My point wasn't really about a dragons inability to write and rather that obviously Paarthunax would instruct the Greybeards to inform you of the whereabouts of the shout. Considering the Greybeard leader will already tell you where they have heard a 'whisper' of a shout I don't see why they would send you a mysterious note as well.

Well, there've been several people here that finished the game multiple times over. No wiki entry. It's a toss-up and speculation, really. Whatever you want it to be. But I wont deny (outside of my own role-play) that it is obviously a mcguffin. I would have mentioned that earlier myself but I was afraid too many here would go, "Mc-Huh??" So, kudos, Kal. Edited by xlr8films

If I had to take an educated guess, it would be the Mage in Whiterun. Reason being, 1, he tells you the Dragonstone can help him find certain dragon locations, and two, he is almost always peered over that map whenever you use his enchanting table. Just a guess though, but it certainly fits his storyline in the game.

My guess is that its meant to just be random people in the towns that send you the letters. I don't think the tablet has anything to do with the locations of the word walls because all Farengar got off of that was a map of the dragon burial sites. Edited by CelerasRingor