UOP Crashes My Game

yiffening

I recently got Oblivion GOTY during the Steam sale, since I've logged like 600 hours in Skyrim and figured I should give Oblivion a shot. For some reason the UOP is preventing starting any new games or loading any saves. Including clean saves.

I've LOOTed the load order, which says I have no errors. I'm using OBMM aswell. I've tried editing the Oblivion.ini setting Joystick/Music/Sound to 0, I've tried just deleting the Oblivion folder in the My Games path. I'm running the game and OBSE as Admin and in compatibility mode for windows XP.

I checked everything, UOP is definitely the culprit...

Oblivion runs fine (relatively speaking) without any of the unofficial patches. Also I'm using FCOM but I'm allergic to Wrye Bash :sweat:

Anyone recognze this issue or have any advice? I feel like I'm out of options :psyduck:

Edited by yiffening

BOSS is the best choice for sorting Oblivion load orders.

I believe FCOM without Wrye Bash's bashed patch may be a bit optimistic, but I'm no FCOM user so others may know differently.

Huh I thought BOSS was outdated. I guess I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: It seems to be working. Heres hoping I'm not being too optimistic.

Edited by yiffening

Mhahn123 has been keeping the masterlist updated here. If you run into any unrecognized mods then report them and they will get added to the list at the next update.

It's really complicated (even when following a hand-holding step by step tutorial) and like most word heavy things I have a lot of trouble focusing on it. Every time I use wrye my game crashes, which is my fault entirely. I prefer Merge Plugins, because it has a better UI (despite being less powerful) but I'm not entirely sure it works with Oblivion. I was wrong about LOOT I might be wrong about Merge Plugins aswell.

I figured out the issue. UOP wasn't the problem, its OBSE. The unofficial patches just happen to require OBSE to function. I tried using the OBSE Test Plugin and it confirmed that OBSE wasn't running. I checked steam overlay and it wasn't working. Boom. Culprit. OBSE needs Steam Overlay to run.

So I've followed the info from this thread to no avail. I'm using Windows 10 and OBSE 21 if that helps.

I really appreciate this help you've given me so far, and if you have any more advice, please tell.

Edit: I have uninstalled/reinstalled Oblivion, and I'm pluggin in plugins one by one painstakingly. I've also given up on making FCOM happen, I heard that Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul is much more compatible which me like.

Edit 2: Okay I disabled UAC and now steam can't even run the oblivion launcher.exe (maybe unrelated?) I can still run the game without steam as a middleman but not with OBSE. I tried running oblivion through OBSE and got a message saying I should run it through steam (which isn't working atm). Help please

Edited by yiffening

On my desktop, with Windows 10 and the Steam version of Oblivion, OBSE actually works with Steam overlay disabled (I always have it disabled, I do not need that stuff when playing). However, I have the game installed on another disk entirely, nowhere near the operating system partition. If you have another disk, you could try that one, maybe, for installing the game? Steam is apparently just fine inside Program Files, so that one can stay there. Maybe. Not an expert, though. :P If you are disabling UAC, you should know what you are doing. It can be a nuisance, and I myself have dragged the slider all the way to the bottom, but it can be useful for some people, one would think.

The way I have been installing OBSE is something like this:

• download OBSE + the updated loader from here (two downloads there, another contains whole OBSE, the other one an updated loader for it): http://obse.silverlock.org/
  • extract both archives, then overwrite the loader in the main download with the updated one
  • copy everything except for the irrelevant parts (source code, readmes) to the Oblivion game directory
  • launch the thing from Steam

You could also try opening the console, selecting an NPC and typing in this (I hope I remember it right):

SetRefEssential 1

It should be an OBSE command, and if it works, your OBSE is working. If it throws an error about command not recognised, the OBSE might not be active. You could also check your savegames folder: if OBSE is active, your savegames should have two files for each one: savegame.ess + savegame.obse (I think Striker might have mentioned that). Where your savegames are depends on the tools you use, usually they are in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\saves folder or somewhere around there I think it was (if you use Mod Organizer they are in the profile folder, but you probably do not and will not if Wrye Bash is already more than enough hassle and you value your peace of mind). :thumbsup:

Hopefully that helps a little, although it probably does not.

Apparently the issue was running everything as Admin and in compatibility mode. For some reason that was preventing steam overlay from functioning. Problem solved, though, as counterintuitive as it may be.

Thanks for all your help though!

Edit: Clearly I spoke too soon. I have OBSE up and running, but UOP is still giving me attitude. How bad would it be if I just gave up on using the unofficial patches because I've come full circle and the UOPs are giving me a headache.

Edited by yiffening

No idea. The UOP has never caused me issues, and should I ever experience any incompatibilities with it (that could not be fixed) I would just ditch the incompatible mods and keep the UOP. So you cannot extract an objective opinion on that from me. :laugh:

It seems you mentioned using FCOM in the first post, so that would probably make it impossible to troubleshoot anything unless another user of FCOM happens by. I would not touch any huge mod compilations with a long stick. :P But if you are happy with what you have, maybe you do not need the UOP, assuming you can live with any bugs. I suppose FCOM does not include the UOP, right... ? Also, when you mentioned UOP, are you sure you are not using plugins from it that do not have their masters active and present? If you use BOSS, it probably would have mentioned that, though.

Haha no I mentioned in an earlier post that I gave up on FCOM and have been installing mods one at a time (leaving the mega overhauls for Skyrim). Right now my load order is just Oblivion, its DLC, and the main patch only. I've also used the 4gb patcher on all the added dll s.

I do have some OBSE plugins installed, is it possible there is a conflict there?

OBSE plugins:

Blockhead

MenuQue

Fast Exit

Enhanced camera

Trifle

Stutter Remover

Pluggy

Elys Silent Voice

OBSE jail fix (UOP)

OBSE training fix (UOP)

Non OBSE: