Imperial VS Stormcloak

Jackal2233

So to rekindle this debate, I'd like to pose a very important question. How would you handle the armies?

The Aldmeri Dominion forces being made of High Elves, Wood Elves, and Khajiit.

High Elves are probably the strongest race in magical talent. Meaning your going to be facing a large number of conjurations(Necromancy was never banned on Summerset) making expendable cannon fodder, potent destruction magics, illusions concealing the enemy and subverting your forces, alteration protecting and shielding the enemy from damage, and restoration keeping the troops going. All this while trying to fight highly mobile Wood Elf and Khajiit(based of racial skill bonuses) war parties. Which are going to most likely doing more guerrilla style warfare over straight slugfest combat.

The two most likely places for invasion being Hammerfell and Cyrodil as these two have easy border access to AD countries.

How would you think your forces would handle it?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are "your forces" referring to the Legion or the Stormcloaks, as they will be facing the exact same enemies?

Depends on which side you wanna take. It's just a hypothetical on how you would see either side battling.

See, this is another reason I'd have the empire stick together, as both imperials and bretons have some magical talent. Orcs themselfs have been a part of the legion, if they chose to.

And that answered nothing.

Between Cyrodiil, Skyrim and HighRock/Orsinium, you can field some of the best warriors and battlemages in tamriel, Imperials can go either way. With that, it would be easier to match the tactical variety of the AD. Though, the empire is still more melee oriented, which should be an advantage when defending against an Invasion.

So to rekindle this debate, I'd like to pose a very important question. How would you handle the armies?

High Elves are probably the strongest race in magical talent. Meaning your going to be facing a large number of conjurations(Necromancy was never banned on Summerset) making expendable cannon fodder, potent destruction magics, illusions concealing the enemy and subverting your forces, alteration protecting and shielding the enemy from damage, and restoration keeping the troops going. All this while trying to fight highly mobile Wood Elf and Khajiit(based of racial skill bonuses) war parties. Which are going to most likely doing more guerrilla style warfare over straight slugfest combat.

The two most likely places for invasion being Hammerfell and Cyrodil as these two have easy border access to AD countries.

Its interesting, because I don't feel the Dominions armies contain Bosmer or Khajiit.

The only person who comments on their makeup is Salvianus, who says these two statements:

They were golden, even when they were dead. But their blood was red. I knew it would be.

And when the Thalmor burst into the room: No, you can't be here! You're all dead! I already killed you over and over!

Other than this, I don't really have any evidence on the Aldmeri Army, and one may assume that because the Aldmeri occupy valenwood and Elsweyr, that they recruit Khajiit and Bosmer as Auxillaries, but for some reason, i just don't feel that they do.

Anyway, onto battlefield tactics.

Mages seem like a form of artillary. A fireball can kill a number of men, but so can a well placed rock! But Mages have one a weakness. Rocks and pots of fire travel in an arc. Fireballs don't. If the front line of the army is trained to form a shield wall capable of deflecting magical attacks (as defined by 'Killing, before you're killed'), it would not only render their mages worthless, but would also provide defense against archers, and pave the way for a powerful Phalanx.

That said, 'Killing' also provides another tactic against mages that the Nords would be aptly trained in, charging. A good charge would have two benefits. 1. The Aldmeri would not be able to respond to the charge (with Julius Caesar's battle with Ariovistus in mind). 2. A good charge, conducted by trained shock troops, would break the enemies line, allowing the Phalanx to engage an already broken formation.

Between Cyrodiil, Skyrim and HighRock/Orsinium, you can field some of the best warriors and battlemages in tamriel, Imperials can go either way. With that, it would be easier to match the tactical variety of the AD. Though, the empire is still more melee oriented, which should be an advantage when defending against an Invasion.

Yes but you have little stealth capability and your main warrior troops are meant more for slug fest combat over quick hit and run.

Its interesting, because I don't feel the Dominions armies contain Bosmer or Khajiit.

The only person who comments on their makeup is Salvianus, who says these two statements:

They were golden, even when they were dead. But their blood was red. I knew it would be.

And when the Thalmor burst into the room: No, you can't be here! You're all dead! I already killed you over and over!

Other than this, I don't really have any evidence on the Aldmeri Army, and one may assume that because the Aldmeri occupy valenwood and Elsweyr, that they recruit Khajiit and Bosmer as Auxillaries, but for some reason, i just don't feel that they do.

Mages seem like a form of artillary. A fireball can kill a number of men, but so can a well placed rock! But Mages have one a weakness. Rocks and pots of fire travel in an arc. Fireballs don't. If the front line of the army is trained to form a shield wall capable of deflecting magical attacks (as defined by 'Killing, before you're killed'), it would not only render their mages worthless, but would also provide defense against archers, and pave the way for a powerful Phalanx.

That said, 'Killing' also provides another tactic against mages that the Nords would be aptly trained in, charging. A good charge would have two benefits. 1. The Aldmeri would not be able to respond to the charge (with Julius Caesar's battle with Ariovistus in mind). 2. A good charge, conducted by trained shock troops, would break the enemies line, allowing the Phalanx to engage an already broken formation.

Aldmeri only occupy Valenwood(Questionable cause we don't know how much support and are against them) and Elsweryr is technically no more, it's reverted to it's two ancestral kingdoms both of which are client states under Aldmeri Rule. Khajiit leadership see the Aldmeri as near religious saviors due to the Moons Disappearance incident. Also, Elven armor is golden and all the races in the war bleed red. (EDIT: The Great War by Legate Justianus Quintius about Valenwood and Elsweryr)

Try charging a line of Antronach's... Try fighting your brothers in arms under illusions... Mages can cause a lot of problems with out using destruction at all. And from personal experience in game Wards and shields don't block illusions. I've been able to hit Warded mages with illusions and have them take effect.

Edited by Echoside

Yes but you have little stealth capability and your main warrior troops are meant more for slug fest combat over quick hit and run.

>

Aldmeri only occupy Valenwood(Questionable cause we don't know how much support and are against them) and Elsweryr is technically no more, it's reverted to it's two ancestral kingdoms both of which are client states under Aldmeri Rule. Khajiit leadership see the Aldmeri as near religious saviors due to the Moons Disappearance incident. Also, Elven armor is golden and all the races in the war bleed red. (EDIT: The Great War by Legate Justianus Quintius about Valenwood and Elsweryr)

Try charging a line of Antronach's... Try fighting your brothers in arms under illusions... Mages can cause a lot of problems with out using destruction at all. And from personal experience in game Wards and shields don't block illusions. I've been able to hit Warded mages with illusions and have them take effect.

Well, knowing Khajiiti and Bosmer tactics and fighting styles (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Cherim%27s_Heart_of_Anequina), I doubt they would outfit themsleves in Aldmeri fashion, and from memory, the Great War does not comment on the composition of the Aldmeri forces.

And again, true, mages can cause such confusion. Although as mentioned before, if this was part of their tactical arsenal, why did they not use them during the Great War.

Remember that the Nords have fought against mages for thousands of years. They even forged an Empire out of Morroind and High Rock (against powerful elven mages). If magic is the be all and end all of warfare, why have such a mundane people emerged victorious against it again and again?

Edited by RighthandofSithis

Keep in mind that the Altmer also have warrior types with shields, whenever you have a thalmor vs stormcloaks or legionaries situation, the thalmor usually win fast due to an efficient melee/magic combo, of some holding off the enemy while others cast. That needs careful consideration.

>

Well, knowing Khajiiti and Bosmer tactics and fighting styles (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Cherim%27s_Heart_of_Anequina), I doubt they would outfit themsleves in Aldmeri fashion, and from memory, the Great War does not comment on the composition of the Aldmeri forces.

And again, true, mages can cause such confusion. Although as mentioned before, if this was part of their tactical arsenal, why did they not use them during the Great War.

Remember that the Nords have fought against mages for thousands of years. They even forged an Empire out of Morroind and High Rock (against powerful elven mages). If magic is the be all and end all of warfare, why have such a mundane people emerged victorious against it again and again?

You know their own fighting methods, not the methods of them under Aldmeri command. Numbers in a lot of cases, underhanded tactics, and luck, even then they still take large chunks of the forces out.

Keep in mind that the Altmer also have warrior types with shields, whenever you have a thalmor vs stormcloaks or legionaries situation, the thalmor usually win fast due to an efficient melee/magic combo, of some holding off the enemy while others cast. That needs careful consideration.

True.