Imperial VS Stormcloak

Jackal2233

Reading some of the last entries, I wonder, when this discussion has taken the turn of we against them? It's two factions in a game we talk about with the luxury of not being involved in the situation itself ...

Edit: This said, I am not such a fan of the spiral of collapse. It makes it sound as if empires have to fall this way because they always have. In the end this might just result in a self-fullfilling prophecy, because you give up hope much to soon. On the other hand, looking at the Empire in Tamriel at the moment, I don't see anyone who effectively tries to pull the loose ends of the Empire together again. So while a united, stable Empire might be best for all, there is little chance it will actually come to pass, especially not with the Thalmor snooping around and trying to prevent it.

On the whole I'd say, that Skyrim is better off without the Empire, while the Empire is worse off without Skyrim, because its liberation only adds to the Empire's decline. In the end the spiral can be used as an argument for both sides: If you are with the Stormcloaks you can justify a separation by the Empire's decline, if you are with the Empire you can justify staying within the Empire by arguing that a liberation only furthers the bad state the Empire is in. So it really depends on who's side you are on to begin with.

Edited by Anska

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: This said, I am not such a fan of the spiral of collapse. It makes it sound as if empires have to fall this way because they always have. In the end this might just result in a self-fullfilling prophecy, because you give up hope much to soon.

agreed. and even though Empires have fallen, the last Empire to "fall" was the British Empire and what wanted to stay together became the Commonwealth.

just because the Empire was over for some didn't mean it was "THE END!", something comes after.

On the other hand, looking at the Empire in Tamriel at the moment, I don't see anyone who effectively tries to pull the loose ends of the Empire together again. So while a united, stable Empire might be best for all, there is little chance it will actually come to pass, especially not with the Thalmor snooping around and trying to prevent it.

is that really the case?

this conversation with Armaund Motierre suggests different

Amaund Motierre: "I know! I know! I received the news not moments ago! Ha ha. This is glorious! My friend, you may not realise it, but you have served the Empire, indeed all of Tamriel, in ways you can not possibly imagine. Ah, but you care little for politics, am I right? You want money! And money you shall have! Your payment waits for you at a dead drop. It is inside an urn, in the very chamber we first met, in Volunruud. Now please, go. Collect your money, and let us never look upon one another again. Our business, thank the gods, is concluded."

maybe we should look to High Rock for the successor to the Mede Dynasty

Don't you think he might have been brainwashed by the Thalmor too, to bring more disquiet and confusion into the Empire?

Jokes aside, I was thinking more in the lines of someone, who tries to get the people to work together than of someone, who assassinates his way up the line of succession. Apart from that, you can't just ignore an old man's dying wish, can you?

I'm ahving toruble wiht this choice to be honest. I'm not sure which one best alignes with my personal libertarian/anarchist views for one. which would abide by voluntaryism and the non aggression princaple.

Edit: This said, I am not such a fan of the spiral of collapse. It makes it sound as if empires have to fall this way because they always have. In the end this might just result in a self-fullfilling prophecy, because you give up hope much to soon.

agreed. and even though Empires have fallen, the last Empire to "fall" was the British Empire and what wanted to stay together became the Commonwealth.

just because the Empire was over for some didn't mean it was "THE END!", something comes after.

Britain entered a spiral of collapse in its own right, you know. Rebellion in Ireland, South Africa, India. A series of imperialist wars (WWs 1 and 2), and a series of massive economic collapses.

And regardless, we forget that the Soviet Eastern bloc fell in very much a similar way.

I'm ahving toruble wiht this choice to be honest. I'm not sure which one best alignes with my personal libertarian/anarchist views for one. which would abide by voluntaryism and the non aggression princaple.

Stormcloaks are closer. No idea why anyone would favor anarchism though.