Imperial VS Stormcloak

Jackal2233

@TheLoreSeeker: Ah, that's awesome. It makes me happy to see people using Skyrim as more than an action/adventure game. There's nothing but fun to be had with playing around with writing. (Except when you get annoyed with the lack of clear lore like I am now.)

@mighty zog: I'm actually thinking the Aldmeri Dominion invades, negating the Civil War's outcome by rendering it pointless. A while ago and before those sad news, I rambled in my dark corner of the internet about my thoughts in case that doesn't happen. Your idea makes sense too, though I thought Balgruuf would be elected High King (he's a stronger figure than Elisif, but I can't imagine Ulfric letting him of all people in case of a Stormcloak victory)and in the end Skyrim would be independent anyway. But it's really difficult to have any certainty on those matters... Since I don't write a novel nor plan things ahead (I simply play and then write interludes about the play sessions without getting into details of the quests everyone knows), I think I'll just keep this beloved pastime of mine for just a while longer and then pause it completely. Maybe replay Fallout New Vegas or something. Dunno. :confused:

@Anska: I really like your idea for an "excuse" to get into the holds! I have played those thane quests with other characters but never found a good reason for my Dragonborn to do them. First, he was too busy being a normal person and rising in the ranks of the Companions. Then he was too busy running after Alduin. Then after Miraak. Dude never had a good reason to simply gather nobility titles or influence. Like I told mighty zog, I think I simply won't give it an ending. I'll write the other character I like to play with (in other games too). For now, I'll still be grieving and rambling for a while so I better not write anything at all (maybe even forum posts). :unsure:

@Everyone: I think it would be grand if we discussed these possibilities. There is another thread about the Empire existing or not after Skyrim, but I think it would be cool to discuss possible scenarios too that Bethesda may forge so that no player gets his choices denied.

Edit: Also, I never stopped to think that the other Jarls that Ulfric put on power could act against him. That's a very interesting thought.

Edited by sisterof

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as I see it, there are certain "facts" that have to be accounted for

1) both Ulfric and Tullius are killed (one is killed at the end of the CW quest and the other would have to be killed just after, before they do anything to change the canon.

2) Skyrim has to become independent (either Ulfric wins or the new High King/Queen leaves under the advice of the Jarls)

3) Emperor Titus Mede II is assassinated (either as part of the DB quest or by unknown assassins while he is in Skyrim)

I would love it if Balgruuf was elected High King. he is the only Jarl strong enough with a character that is sympathetic to the people of both sides of the CW. the only trouble is that if Ulfric wins, Vignar is the new Jarl of Whiterun which would mean that Balgruuf would have to challenge Ulfric to be Jarl of Windhelm and High King of Skyrim. (it is possible that Balgruuf could beat Ulfric in a duel).

And, as I have pointed out numerous times, the only winning move is not to play.

You get dragged into the Civil War quest the same way a troll drags you into their less-than-wise arguments: by playing on your doubts and fears. Why anyone plays out that quest, I don't really understand. There's nothing rewarding about it. You just pointlessly kill people, pointlessly make lots of enemies, and you don't even make the slightest tangible (or intangible) impression on the game. It's a boring, repetitive waste of time.

On top of everything else, that quest is a bug-ridden mess. It's almost as terrible and badly coded as Blood On the Ice. Honestly, it's only value to the gaming world is that it is a gleaming example of how not to make a quest in a game. They should have pulled it entirely out. All it does is waste resources, waste your time, and ultimately make the game far less stable.

That said: go Empire! I freaking hate the Stormcloaks.

I say Empire, the only reason they agreed to the ending of Talos worship (and whatever else the agreement was) so that the Empire does not get destroyed by the Dominion. If Skyrim was completely independent, that makes Skyrim free game for the Dominion. With no Legion backup and Civil War weary soldiers, Skyrim would be, even if the Dragonborn won that war, maybe literally devastated Plus, Ulfric Stormcloak fights for the weirdest reasons, I really don't understand why he chose to fight the Empire when he should be building an army to assault the Thalmor in Skyrim. He DID have a huge following, he DID have the resources, he could have build a secret army to fight off the Thalmor off of Skyrim. What I think is that he just wanted the throne of Skyrim and struck when the lordship of Skyrim was at it's weakest.

Basically, I think Stormcloaks are built from a selfish man with selfish dreams. I choose Empire.... and this comes a guy who chooses Blue over Red

Stormcloacks. And thats just because imperials are in such hurry to get everyone executed without trial or any chance to defend themselves.

"I just wanted to cross a border and continue minding my own business. But no... They just had to capture me just because there were some stormcloacks nearby."

In most playthroughs I just ignore whole CW.

Stormcloacks. And thats just because imperials are in such hurry to get everyone executed without trial or any chance to defend themselves.

"I just wanted to cross a border and continue minding my own business. But no... They just had to capture me just because there were some stormcloacks nearby."

In most playthroughs I just ignore whole CW.

So you judged the entire Empire on the poor decision of one nameless legate?

And, as I have pointed out numerous times, the only winning move is not to play.

Remember that the only thing that will absolutely play on every single Thalmor wish is letting the war drag on.

Not really. Either way the Thalmor got what they want, which is weakening the Empire. Skyrim was part of the Empiric Provinces of Tamriel. With the Civil War, they ceded from it, thus weakening the Empire and weakening Skyrim. If they wanted to invade, they could, and the Imperials couldn't even help them even if they wanted to considering what's inside the White-Gold Concordat.

Remember that the only thing that will absolutely play on every single Thalmor wish is letting the war drag on.

Not really. Either way the Thalmor got what they want, which is weakening the Empire. Skyrim was part of the Empiric Provinces of Tamriel. With the Civil War, they ceded from it, thus weakening the Empire and weakening Skyrim. If they wanted to invade, they could, and the Imperials couldn't even help them even if they wanted to considering what's inside the White-Gold Concordat.

So what it really boils down to is that the Thalmor have already got what they want before the game ever starts, and your choice is entirely whether and how you want to dance about in the aftermath.