Imperial VS Stormcloak

Jackal2233

So to rekindle this debate, I'd like to pose a very important question. How would you handle the armies?

The Aldmeri Dominion forces being made of High Elves, Wood Elves, and Khajiit.

High Elves are probably the strongest race in magical talent. Meaning your going to be facing a large number of conjurations(Necromancy was never banned on Summerset) making expendable cannon fodder, potent destruction magics, illusions concealing the enemy and subverting your forces, alteration protecting and shielding the enemy from damage, and restoration keeping the troops going. All this while trying to fight highly mobile Wood Elf and Khajiit(based of racial skill bonuses) war parties. Which are going to most likely doing more guerrilla style warfare over straight slugfest combat.

The two most likely places for invasion being Hammerfell and Cyrodil as these two have easy border access to AD countries.

How would you think your forces would handle it?

It's going to be touch and go for a little while once the Civil War in Skyrim comes to an end. The best case scenario is we bring an end to the war early and therefore will not be forced to re-requisition troops from the front lines down in Cyrodil.

Cyrodil will be the front lines, although seeing how the Legion is stretched a little thin these days, we're anticipating this may change.

On the Dominion military, the quantity and classification of their assets remains somewhat a mystery. We know their primary force was Destroyed in Cyrodil and their Secondary offensive force was routed and sent to ground in Hammerfell. There also burned thru their auxiliary forces during Red Ring.

It's unlikely the Dominion will be able to give us to much trouble any time soon, although with the Elves anything is possible and the Dominion is a very dangerous enemy which should not be underestimated.

Rumormill reports however, the Dominion is still very powerful and has consolidated itself in Valenwood and Elsewyr, rebuilding it's forces even now.

What makes the AD soldiers so dangerous is their military is extremely diverse and most of their soldiers are veterans.

The advantage the Legion has over the AD, is our troops in heavy armor will live longer against AD Dominion melee. The "shield wall" can be utilized to defend against their archers and mages, although training new soldiers in such a short time frame will require some creative license.

The Legion could in theory still repel the AD forces due to the fact that the AD forces are so diverse. This will work against them and in our favor because our Legions with Sword, Shield, Bow and Heavy Armor can very quickly counter anything the AD throws at us.

The AD will be a tactical disadvantage from the start because all of their troops can't be spellswords and all of them can't be good with the bow. This realization will allow us to force their hand and make their tactics work for us.

One downfall of our military will be a lack of the Blades, although the overall size of the AD offensive forces will not be as large as before.

Edited by StormHammer81

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to rekindle this debate, I'd like to pose a very important question. How would you handle the armies?

The Aldmeri Dominion forces being made of High Elves, Wood Elves, and Khajiit.

High Elves are probably the strongest race in magical talent. Meaning your going to be facing a large number of conjurations(Necromancy was never banned on Summerset) making expendable cannon fodder, potent destruction magics, illusions concealing the enemy and subverting your forces, alteration protecting and shielding the enemy from damage, and restoration keeping the troops going. All this while trying to fight highly mobile Wood Elf and Khajiit(based of racial skill bonuses) war parties. Which are going to most likely doing more guerrilla style warfare over straight slugfest combat.

The two most likely places for invasion being Hammerfell and Cyrodil as these two have easy border access to AD countries.

How would you think your forces would handle it?

It's going to be touch and go for a little while once the Civil War in Skyrim comes to an end. The best case scenario is we bring an end to the war early and therefore will not be forced to re-requisition troops from the front lines down in Cyrodil.

Cyrodil will be the front lines, although seeing how the Legion is stretched a little thin these days, we're anticipating this may change.

On the Dominion military, the quantity and classification of their assets remains somewhat a mystery. We know their primary force was Destroyed in Cyrodil and their Secondary offensive force was routed and sent to ground in Hammerfell. There also burned thru their auxiliary forces during Red Ring.

It's unlikely the Dominion will be able to give us to much trouble any time soon, although with the Elves anything is possible and the Dominion is a very dangerous enemy which should not be underestimated.

Rumormill reports however, the Dominion is still very powerful and has consolidated itself in Valenwood and Elsewyr, rebuilding it's forces even now.

What makes the AD soldiers so dangerous is their military is extremely diverse and most of their soldiers are veterans.

The advantage the Legion has over the AD, is our troops in heavy armor will live longer against AD Dominion melee. The "shield wall" can be utilized to defend against their archers and mages, although training new soldiers in such a short time frame will require some creative license.

The Legion could in theory still repel the AD forces due to the fact that the AD forces are so diverse. This will work against them and in our favor because our Legions with Sword, Shield, Bow and Heavy Armor can very quickly counter anything the AD throws at us.

The AD will be a tactical disadvantage from the start because all of their troops can't be spellswords and all of them can't be good with the bow. This realization will allow us to force their hand and make their tactics work for us.

One downfall of our military will be a lack of the Blades, although the overall size of the AD offensive forces will not be as large as before.

Umm, was that just fanfiction? I have respect for that, just wanted to know. :thumbsup:

And, I also don't think the Dominion would be able to do anything for another few decades at least, although its debatable. It comes down to a question left very vague, how long does it take for Elves to sexually mature?

The only source touching on the topic suggests that Barenziah was sexually mature at 16 (or something like that), although I haven;t read the whole work(s).

However, there is one huge setback to this arguement. If Elves can reproduce so young (and lets face it, when you become sexually mature, you want to go), and also have such long lives (particularly High Elves), that would mean the High Elven population would be HUGE. Thus, the dominion would have access to a multitude of well trained troops, with brilliant leadership. How then, could they fail at Red Ring? By Sheer numbers they could have wiped out the Imperial Legions (made up mostly of humans, who naturally die much earlier).

However, there is one huge setback to this arguement. If Elves can reproduce so young (and lets face it, when you become sexually mature, you want to go), and also have such long lives (particularly High Elves), that would mean the High Elven population would be HUGE. Thus, the dominion would have access to a multitude of well trained troops, with brilliant leadership. How then, could they fail at Red Ring? By Sheer numbers they could have wiped out the Imperial Legions (made up mostly of humans, who naturally die much earlier).

Yeah, looking at the map makes me wonder how such a small archipelago that is the summerset Isls could field an army strong enougt to challenge the empire. It suggests that they do employ Bosmer and Khajiit in their millitary, like in the original AD.

Edited by kradus

Im Stormcloak117, just to clear things up. Changed my name.

And I dont think Bethesda gives us a clear representation of the AD's military forces. Considering the Stormcloaks are all Nords and the AD are all Altmer. They dont mention the use of Bosmer in the great war but I honestly dont think bethesda tried to make everything picture perfect. This is in-game. When it comes to their actual forces I think it mainly consists of Altmer as the main army and Bosmer as perhaps support or reserve soldiers.

I wish we could learn more about the AD really, a lot is unknown and, I for one, would like to know more.

Edited by HighkingUlfricStormcloak

kradus, on 01 Mar 2013 - 10:45, said:

RighthandofSithis, on 01 Mar 2013 - 09:54, said:

Yeah, looking at the map makes me wonder how such a small archipelago that is the summerset Isls could field an army strong enougt to challenge the empire. It suggests that they do employ Bosmer and Khajiit in their millitary, like in the original AD.

Touche, but it is sort of implied that the Khajiit are at the bottom of the Aldmeri class system, followed by the Bosmer, then the various classes of Altmer. This may just be speculation based on the setup of the embassy.

For this reason, I feel that the main component of the Aldmeri forces are High Elves.

Edited by RighthandofSithis

I would agree with that. We never see any other races in any Thalmor military squad. The only Khajiits are assassins and spies, and we don't really see any Bosmer.

On elven reproduction, Real Barenziah states that they have very rare and infrequent fertile periods (Dunmer at least) and at least one text implies that Altmer kill 9/10 babies due to their eugenics tradition (though PGE series are very biased).

Isn't this whole discussion better suited to the Post-Civil War thread by the way? We seem to have swapped topics!

VICTORY!!!

Rikke: "Attention! General Tullius has an announcement!"

Tullius: "The rebellion is over. Ulfric Stormcloak is dead.
His head will be sent to Cyrodiil where it will adorn a spike on the
walls of the Imperial City. Let this day be a final warning to all who
would still call themselves Stormcloaks. We are turning the city over to
Brunwulf Free-Winter, an honorable and faithful man. Many of you will
be staying in Windhelm to aid the Jarl in restoring order and stamping
out any embers of rebellion that may still smolder here. In appreciation
for your exemplary service, I am doubling your pay and compensation to
the widows of your fallen comrades. I am proud of all of you. All hail
the Emperor. All hail his Legionnaires! I hate giving speeches."

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/32122-1-1361464638.jpg

LONG LIVE THE EMPEROR!!!

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!!!