Skyrim Modding Prerequisites

skyler14

I want to start modding games, and Skyrim seems like the one game I'd most want to start modding. I have programming experience and did some very very basic modding for kotor a long time ago, but barely remember any of it.

In particular I want to modify Skyrim's favorite interface and add extra moves to the game.

For controllers, my goals are:

enabling at least 8 hotkeys,

removing reserved keys,

being able to assign keys to the xbox logo button,

have multiple hotkey presets that can be toggled from the hotkey menu and used in game,

For keyboards:

more than 8 hotkeys

For extra moves, I have three ideas thus far:

1. A standing roll, that is assigned to the same button as sprint(maybe). Hold sprint to sprint, tap sprint to roll in direction. I'm thinking version 1 could use the sneaking rolls, until I can find some way of making a more fluid movement.

2. Crouched sprint, allowing you to sprint while you are in sneak mode. with a heavy impact on how well you can sneak, sneaking roll would apply the same way as standing roll, hold to sprint, tap the roll.

3. Non-Master Shield Sprint. Essentially this would be very similar to the master shield sprint, except it will only stagger enemies with no paralysis effect, and you start the game with it. Gets replaced with master sprint if you get perk.

What do I need to learn to actually start doing these mods?

Forget your goals. If you want to mod effectively then there are different areas of modding.

Scripting

Texturing

Modeling

Sound

Voicing

If you want to be effective - I'd suggest learning to use GIMP/Photoshop/Blender/3ds Max.

As for sound and voicing you'd need some recording tools and editing software.

A free software.. very stripped.. is Audacity.

Scripting could take a lot of time - you'd have to learn Oblivion's language and probably .swf files as well.

Basically - to be an effective modder:

TRY - Fail - Repeat. - That's the path to success.

Research. - I'm talking ramen & energy drink nights.

and the most important part...

Get a divorce! Women will always say turn the computer off or leave me - this simplifies the process.

(Jkay)

Forget about actually releasing anything for a while if you have no experience in modding. Focus on one of the many discipline's, rather than knowing all of them weakly. That way you won't be discouraged when you starting hit walls and need to break through them.

Any experience programming or that ilk will help your understanding of the scripting language immensely. Logical thinking and problem solving skills are very useful too. :P

Edited by Xylozi

Scripting allows you to do things that don't have a feature of the engine dedicated to them, or enhance things that do.

For example, creating a vendor probably won't require scripting, but setting up a new and elaborate trap would.

Some things that are conditional, like dialogue and some magic effects, will also touch on scripting, but might not require you to actually write any scripts.

This is all assuming, of course, that Skyrim will be similar to previous games in this aspect.

Cipscis

What is the scripting language for Skyrim?

I am a web developer/programmer who dabbles in game development (Unity/C#) and would like to look into mod development for Skyrim.

I already know Flash (AS2/3) for the Interface. Will I be able to edit the interface directly with Creation Kit or will I have to use Flash?

What about game logic? Do Bethesda have their own language?

(I have experience in the following lanugages: C#, PHP, JavaScript, ActionScript 2 / 3, some Java, some C++)

btw: I couldn't find any news about the release of the creation kit. Does anyone know anything?