ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Transferring FO4 mod content to a new PC?

Banadan

Hello,

Just wanted to ask someone who knows more about this, or has already done this step - I am getting a new PC and while I will do a fresh install of FO4, I do not feel like tracking down and re-installing all my 100+ mods. Is it enough if I copy the Data folder with all of its contents over, or do I need to check something else in addition as well? Advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Transferring the data to another hard drive/SSD which you screw into your new PC (if it's a desktop) or copying from one PC to another should do the trick. When using NMM for downloading and installing mods, you can even copy NMM's folder to re-enstate it when your new PC is running. Would save you the trouble of having to re-install your mods...

Edited by JimmyRJump

I've also made edits to various ini files, to accommodate some mods and personal preferences (I hate soggy water with zero visibility) so I should probably copy those too and later put them back. Good reminder about NMM, was planning to copy that folder anyway but I should probably pay attention to paths and restore those as they were, just to be sure that NMM will find any and all mods and things normally. I know it can be edited in settings, but just to be on the safe side..

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

I've also made edits to various ini files, to accommodate some mods and personal preferences (I hate soggy water with zero visibility) so I should probably copy those too and later put them back. Good reminder about NMM, was planning to copy that folder anyway but I should probably pay attention to paths and restore those as they were, just to be sure that NMM will find any and all mods and things normally. I know it can be edited in settings, but just to be on the safe side.. Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

Also make a copy of your "Documents" folder (and don't forget to set invisible files and folders to visible, else the "Users/*your name*/AppData" folder doesn't get copied. The "Local" folder inside AppData contains an FO4 folder which has your load order and mod list, which you can use also... as well as other folders with setting for programs like PhotoShop and whatnot ;)

In case you're performing a clean install of your OS and your drive is large enough, you can also opt to install the new OS next to the previous one (the latter will get renamed to "Windows Old") so that you don't lose any files installed on your drive...

Eh.. Funny thing - in an almost non-funny way - I copied everything over to make the transition to a new PC and a new game installation as easy and as fast as possible, scoured the folders for ini files and what not. Guess which folder I forgot to copy over, which folder was on my mind all the time, as a "must copy it!" detail? Yep, the "good old" Data folder. Spent hours and hours later restoring my 100+ mods. Oh well, next time I ever come across a situation like that, I'll copy the darn Data folder right away and then start to think about other details.

In any event, thank you for your assistance JimmyRJump.