Support for a guy afraid of big spiders

banditjingx

Unfortunately for you there will be more of them spiders in later dungeon exploring. As well as in the wilderness too. Skyrim seem to be full of these! At least they're not giant cockroaches, like the Fallout series... I hate cockroaches! Especially when they're the size of a medium-sized dog!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate those things; too many eyes!

The bears should work for all sizes, even the spider load screen... I used to have arachnophobia. Then I joined the army, every morning at 4:30 in basic training we would work out in an open field at Fort Sill Oklahoma... there were brown recluses all over the place, I had to smash them with my bare hands so they wouldn't bite me. After that, my phobia was greatly reduced. The in-game spiders don't really bother me, they don't look like spiders very much to me.

Edited by OnlyOneWing

Spiders creep me out, Cockroaches even more so, Crowds of people make me run away and hide and Clowns scare the s*** out of me.

I know what a phobia is and personally I have found that turning that phobia into a joke and poking fun at it helps me immensely in dealing with it.

A wise man once said that courage is nothing more than being in fear and holding on one second longer.

Face that spider and make fun of it, make it seem less than what it is, imagine squashing it under foot, anything really but face it and stare that hoe down. I have done my level best to not let my phobias rule my life,

no digital spider will stop me and the last time I met digital clowns I left them staked to a wall (Painkiller rocks).

Letting an irrational fear rule your life is the wrong way of thinking and only leads to a self defeating attitude to life.

I kill spiders in real life and in games but I would never touch one. I have a friend who can't even stand being in the same room with a spider. People are different. What works for you may not work for someone else. Don't be so quick to judge others (the self-defeating part) because you're not walking in their shoes.

Unfortunately for you there will be more of them spiders in later dungeon exploring. As well as in the wilderness too. Skyrim seem to be full of these! At least they're not giant cockroaches, like the Fallout series... I hate cockroaches! Especially when they're the size of a medium-sized dog!

FYI no cockcroaches in Fallout, you must have confused them with radscorpions. :happy:

I would add, it might behoove you to seek some therapy for your phobia. If it is so extreme that computer generated images bother you so then surely this is impeding your joy of life? You're bound to encounter the real thing at some point. Get some help.

Good luck.

Spiders creep me out, Cockroaches even more so, Crowds of people make me run away and hide and Clowns scare the s*** out of me.

I know what a phobia is and personally I have found that turning that phobia into a joke and poking fun at it helps me immensely in dealing with it.

A wise man once said that courage is nothing more than being in fear and holding on one second longer.

Face that spider and make fun of it, make it seem less than what it is, imagine squashing it under foot, anything really but face it and stare that hoe down. I have done my level best to not let my phobias rule my life,

no digital spider will stop me and the last time I met digital clowns I left them staked to a wall (Painkiller rocks).

Letting an irrational fear rule your life is the wrong way of thinking and only leads to a self defeating attitude to life.

I kill spiders in real life and in games but I would never touch one. I have a friend who can't even stand being in the same room with a spider. People are different. What works for you may not work for someone else. Don't be so quick to judge others (the self-defeating part) because you're not walking in their shoes.

FYI no cockcroaches in Fallout, you must have confused them with radscorpions. :happy:

One phobia is no different from another, Spiders, Clowns, Frog, Mice, Rats .. its all irrational .. I have been there and walked away knowing I control that phobia and not the other way around. I also refuse to enable people by supporting such defeatist behavior towards phobias, thousands of people have faced their demons and beaten them... this person can too and I refuse to believe otherwise.

I am not going to give them the victim treatment .. and you cannot convince me otherwise.

But Radroaches DO EXIST!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7mGn9taTlKs/ThlZDGKRv_I/AAAAAAAAAFg/lAAqkSklLsA/s1600/radroach.jpg

Good point. But they weren't in the original Fallout (1 and 2) which may be the reason why I didn't think about them. ;)

One phobia is no different from another, Spiders, Clowns, Frog, Mice, Rats .. its all irrational .. I have been there and walked away knowing I control that phobia and not the other way around. I also refuse to enable people by supporting such defeatist behavior towards phobias, thousands of people have faced their demons and beaten them... this person can too and I refuse to believe otherwise.

I am not going to give them the victim treatment .. and you cannot convince me otherwise.

I hear you and I do salute your positive attitude.

I don't think people should be treated like victims because of a disability (and a phobia can be a serious disability) but (and I know that I may sound defeatist saying that) I do believe that the seriousness of the condition has to be taken into account.

The direct approach may work for people who don't have a serious condition but confronting your phobia is not something that should be done unprepared and without the proper environment. You've got to walk before you can run.

Just because you've managed to fight your own phobias it doesn't mean others can -especially on their own. I think you'll agree when I say that it is not easy.

Michlo is right of course, if the phobia can't be controlled then seeking professional help may be the only solution. There is nothing wrong with seeing someone to work on such issues. :thumbsup:

wow you serious? whats the big deal it's a video game not gonna hurt you irl or anything, just kill it and get it over with, gotta face your fears sometime lol, and if you don't just open the console with ~ click the spider and type kill

it will kill the spider for you...

btw i know i'm being harsh, but i mean c'mon it's a damn game lol, i don't know about some people ><

You'd be surprised at some of the phobias in the world. I've seen people that are hysterically afraid of balloons. Arachnophobia isn't that bad considering spiders aren't exactly cuddly.

Balloons are quite horrible to behold, honestly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8hCzztnqZyw

But I'd think being an amazing Nordic harbinger of death who kills dragons, that'd at least give you some courage to kill that spider in his face. A phobia's a phobia I guess.