Complete HighRes Retexture Project

Shaikoten

Everything's coming along, shooting off PMs to everyone. I'm hoping we can have our first release sometime this week. Currently confirmed as participating are:

Tobe, MystikHybrid, Ghogiel, Witcher79.

Waiting on final confirmation:

Iskou, NebuLa1.

I know not everyone is a fan of NebuLa1's HD pack as a whole, and I agree that some textures do need improvement, but at the same time a lot of the work is quite great. It would be foolish to dismiss it completely, and we can always improve upon it. I'm going to be reposting this thread on Bethsoft forums to make sure all of the texture artists from that community are aware of what we're doing over here.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there is a method to make textures not look all equally.. it looks weird from a distance like 20 squares of texture put together.. isnt there some blurr or what do i know more textures?

http://s1.directuplo...27/qsoiwqxr.jpg

Maybe the grass could also be blurred a little so it wont stick out sharp from blurred ground...

Yeah. It's pretty common issue - not only with vanilla textures, but even more often with high res terrain packs. Natural "blurring" comes from mip-maps. It's also possible to drop some colour mip-map fades into, to even further improve how distant terrain looks or to achieve certain effect. Unfortunately many (even very skilled) authors tend to not include mip-maps to get fake "crispier" look.

I did some stuff with mip-maps colour fading, I might upload some pics when I'll get back from work to illustrate the idea. I won't be releasing anything yet though as it's very WIP/experimental and also includes some bits and pieces from other people work (as I'm doing it mostly for my own use). It might end up as a contribution to "one retex to rule them all" if folks decide it's good enough.

@Ghogiel

Yeah man I know. That's why I'm even more surprised seeing ekhm.. "brand new" engine displaying so crappy transitions. What buggers me is that some ground textures blends properly (same with face/body decals) but damn moss texture can't. Same with mud/grass/dirt patches or snow. Not to mention roads. Seriously, I can't figure out how alpha channel is handled and why even 8888ARGB looks like DXT1 in many cases...

:whistling: at the no mipmaps.... http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/461820-aageons-hq-texture-pack/page__view__findpost__p__3817071

With terrain and large area covering tiling textures, it's all about the mip maps. the little things like removing the more apparent tiling contrasts, fading, sharpening, filters, and even getting in there and hand tweaking them for the anal :tongue:

If you don't make them yourself, you effectively leave it to the game engine to down sample mid game when it trys to display one of those textures at a distance. Let it be said Skyrim isn't photoshop.. and it's just extra resource hogging.

Yeah the moss is off key to me... been looking at that one myself as it happens...

Edited by Ghogiel

Small presentation of my puny attempts to improve terrain blending and tiling - as promised. Also some dirt and moss blending experiment. Still very very WIP though.

I'm partially happy with that although lack of proper alpha blending support is visible... It's not easy to change without even read-only access to shader values, sadly...

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g400/Marteen_Dee/Skyrim%20Modding/Rorikstead.png

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g400/Marteen_Dee/Skyrim%20Modding/Rorikstead-1.jpg

Comments and constructive criticism most welcome.

Hey Shaikoten, sorry I didnt post any update before as promised. Some personal stuff popped up that I had to take care of just when I was working on the last 2 textures :P I'm back at my computer on thursday or friday, so update on Tobes Highres Textures should be done and released on friday-night, or saturday in worst case scenario. Still working on noble furniture and chests, which I'm hoping to have done for this round. They're so damn detailed compared to low- and middle-class stuff, so they take some extra effort to recreate :wacko: Looking good and true to originals so far though! I'll notify here when it's uploaded.

Good to see things are shaping up for a first release this week already. Haven't found time to check out the other contributors stuff yet, but I will as soon as I get home. I'm sure this pack will be much appreciated :) Keep it up guys!

Edited by Mr. Bravo

HI all!

Im a quite modder user since time...and i wanna in someway support this project.

I'm not a modder but i maybe can help. I've a lot of pictures of fall and winter time, like

roads, paths in woods and similar.

If could be usefull...just ask!

Bye and thanks for all the free work!

YES! This looks Great!

teach us how you do it, and there will be more good retexture packs :)

thats the way it should really look like!

If that was about my screens thanks, but it isn't full effect I desire to achieve, yet. There's not that much magic in it and to be honest just basic texture rules apply. Although there are some ideas behind it which need some deeper explanation I suppose. I'm gathering screen shots of my work flow and few graphics/schematics which I hope are going to be helpful in creating proper tutorial on landscape texturing (which may apply not only to Skyrim but to many engines in general too I suppose). I'll be releasing some textures here in this thread for you folks to try out and also making other thread with tutorial within couple of days.

Annoyingly December tends to be a month for me when real life collides with modding , but I'll try my best to deliver stuff asap.

Alright, I'm just about ready to do an internal release of this, I've got all the files compiled and set to go. Some of the textures in the pack so far will not be up to our standards or fitting with the design of the pack: I want to ask for the help of you guys, with good eyes for this sort of thing, to point out the individual offending textures and make note of them so we can either fix them or redo them. If I've forgotten to include anyone's work, please remind me and it will be added for the next release. Currently this pack contains:

Nebula1's various textures (Windhelm, Whiterun, landscape)

Mystik's plants

Isoku's fire effects and rain ripples

Ghogiel's eyes

Tobe's furniture/misc

I know Tobe has a release coming up soon and Ghogiel has at least one more ground texture I haven't added, and Witcher79 is working on things as well. Remember, this is just our first, internal release.

Please submit your comments to this thread. Make sure you are constructive, don't trash anyone's work. These people are modding for your pleasure, for free, so keep respectful and help them to do better! A link to the thread will be provided in the readme file. For live updates as to the pack's status, follow me, @Shaikoten on Twitter.

As for the name of the pack, I've decided to go with the Skyrim Pretty Pack. I think the term "HD" is kind of a misnomer, and our aim is definitely not to replace every texture with the highest rez possible, just to make the game look better where it needs a little help.

So without further Adieu, DOWNLOAD IT HERE: http://www.mediafire.com/?i99unovnrxd9hkh