can you convert oblivion to skyrim?

Uerba

the older games(arena and daggerfall) are completely 16 bit dos based and to do anything, they would have to be completely re-coded, and since they were dos based, their graphics are horible by modern comparison, so the graphics would have to be redone completely. But couldn't one use the original source to write new code? once we have all of tamreal (from arena) couldn't we just script the quests in?

Well, it probably makes things a bit more lenient since Bethesda distributes Arena and Daggerfall for free. But, as you say, pretty much everything would have to be re-done. If by "source" you mean re-creating questlines from those games in Skyrim, that would probably be fine (it gets into a bit of a grey area, to be honest), but it will always violate copyright to copy sounds or other assets from one game to another.

Edited by xaliqen

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest that you do not follow any legal advice that you get on a forum. It's better to research those things on your own, or read EULAs or links to law texts etc. The best thing to do is to ask a lawyer, but that might cost money.

Anyway, no kinds of content-ported data from other games are allowed on the Nexus sites, according to http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/377405-porting-content-from-other-games/

I would suggest that you do not follow any legal advice

Because listening to artist, who live and die by the copyright law, talk about how illegal it is to port models and textures, is totally akward.

Really, most of us know more than you'd think. I can tell you a few things right here, that you can check up as many time as you want:

1) If you make something, you gain the copyright.

2) You can give away your copyright to somebody else if you wish.

3) After a certain length of time the copyright is lost. That means 50-100 years after my death, my models got no copyright on them. That number is not pulled out of my ass.

4) The EULA, and about every game company, states that you can not port ANYTHING from game A to game B. This goes for Oblivion, Morrowind and Skyrim. It also goes for about any other franchises ( misspelled?).

5) Taking a picture of google and manipulating it massively and setting it for sale, is still against the law and you stole it. This means if I take a picture of a rock, and make it look like wood, I've stilled broken the copyright law by selling somebody else' product.

6) Taking somebodies else model and texture, and setting on the nexus, for instance, is both disrespectfull and against the copyright law. We could sue each other, but I don't think anybody of us could afford to sue anybody.

Really, it's not like we are a bunch of teenagers running around here. Some of us got more than a few years experience in both 3d, 2d and game developement via modding. We know the rules, because it is out hobby to do so.

Some common sense, and the advices about law on the forum is worth more than checking it on wikipedia.

Yeah, sorry for the attitude. I kind of get snarky when people got no faith in modders. It's not like we don't live by these laws each day. Nobody is more in contact with the copyright law as artist who actively uses photos and concept art. "Is it right to take this picture?" "Am I allowed to set this mod on the nexus, eve if I made it following a tutorial?" etc, etc.

Cheers,

Matth

Edited by Matth85

Apparently.. that has to be in an actual signed written form for copyright transfer to take place.

Sounds like a lot of work. However, you can still do it if you wish. Which was my point :)

Huh .. so if I want to give somebody my model, and give him/her copyright, I got to get a written form of it. Now that sound like a lot of work!

Apparently.. that has to be in an actual signed written form for copyright transfer to take place.

Sounds like a lot of work. However, you can still do it if you wish. Which was my point :)

Huh .. so if I want to give somebody my model, and give him/her copyright, I got to get a written form of it. Now that sound like a lot of work!

You can probably sign an email and it be recognised... but the owner would have to sign it like any legally binding contract. Or as they say, it's not worth the price of the paper it is printed on.

exclusive rights need lawyers and writing to be effective. Nonexclusive does not, you can say here I give you rights to do what ever, but the thing is you still have rights left as the copyright owner..they can do what ever they wanted with it, however they cannot sop you doing the same. Only with an exclusive transfer of rights would they be able to sue you..

Edited by Ghogiel

This topic seems severely derailed.

Anyways so does anyone know how to port oblivion armor to skyrim? Id love to get some of my personal stuff back and I would like to know the proper way to go about it. The help is much appreciated.

There is a 3ds max skinned meshes thread somewhere on this forum, it is all explained in there, even from a blender workflow.

Well I might get chewed out for saying this but what Morroblivion did was only put Morrowind in the same Graphics and Engine as Obblivion which isnt all that bad really considering someone Team Fortressized Skyrim graphically and they didnt get messed up for that. Morroblivion required you to own a legit copy of both Morrowind and Oblivion so they werent really promoting anything legal so if someone were to combine both games with a simple esp it wouldnt technically be illegal would it since you own both games legitimately?

Well I might get chewed out for saying this but what Morroblivion did was only put Morrowind in the same Graphics and Engine as Obblivion which isnt all that bad really considering someone Team Fortressized Skyrim graphically and they didnt get messed up for that. Morroblivion required you to own a legit copy of both Morrowind and Oblivion so they werent really promoting anything legal so if someone were to combine both games with a simple esp it wouldnt technically be illegal would it since you own both games legitimately?

Didn't Morroblivion get shut down by Bethesda? Or does my memory slip me now?

And even if you own both games, it is still not legal. If Bethesda want to merge all the games together, they would have done it themself.

It got nothing to say if you own every game in the world, the EULA is what decide, not what you own.