can you convert oblivion to skyrim?

Uerba

Here's the quote from the creator and why it cant be done Oblivion and Skyrim are made by 2 different companies. One is Bethsoft the other is BEs Art studio.

The only thing i see problematic here is there is no legal right to say it is illegal (because as long as you bought both there your property) except by a agreement by Bethesda and another company that we cannot see.

I'm not sure what you mean by being made by different companies. Bethesda Game Studios developed both Skyrim and Oblivion, it's the same company. The publisher on the two games is different, so maybe this would be an issue.

Either way, the rule of thumb is to either use the resources in-game (Skyrim resources for Skyrim mods) or use other assets that you create or are freely distributable.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always found it interesting why bethesda stopped the Morroblivion mod. Ok, somewhere I understand that other people & companies were involved in the creation of both games and thus content does not all belong to the same "person/company".

But you needed the original Morrowind game in other words it would have increased demand for Morrowind meaning cash on a old game what could be wrong with that.

Same for Skyrim vs Oblivion. You'll probably need the complete original of both so again what's the problem. Now i can understand you dont port stuff from Carmagedon TDR2000, Mario Bros, Call of Duty etc. to Skyrim since those are 2 completely unassociated companies who made the games, making it illegal.

But in case of the Elderscrolls It's almost like: You buy both a Volvo & a Ford Mustang but then it's illegal to switch the seats between them. On the other hand even if they are totaly unrelated. If a Ferrari seat sits better then a Lamborghini seat. None of the companies is going to sue me if i buy Seats from Ferrari and start mounting them in lamborghini's and sell the lamborghini seats to be installed in Lada's. they wont sue me or the Lamborghine/Lada owner.

Now all they have to come up with is, if they are so frantic about it, a way so you cant install one without the other. ie. the full game directory from a registered game needs to be installed. Check for original file in original folder if present allow port to other game.

But this is way off topic and discussed enough during the Morroblivion crisis ;-) :-)

Edited by Gilibran

And seeing how every bethesda game ~2006 uses more or less the same base engine so meshes and textures are in the same format, whilst animations, scripts and such should work aswell

Against the law. You are not allowed to copy something from game A to game B. And I do not mean "law" as in "boring rule": It is against the LAW, as in sued, costy stuff.

I think what the OP is asking, is if it is possible to send mods from Oblivion to Skyrim.

Playermade mods are, of course, simple to port over. The game engine is only modified, so we can guess the scripting is the same. Thus it's just about to alter small parts. The custom made models are the same no matter that.

Eh, don't speak about what you don't understand. Porting mods isn't illegal; only using the game's own assets. Modded software is open-source, and there's nothing illegal about it. If you took the model of, for example, the Imperial City, and stuck it in Skyrim, yeah, that'd be illegal. Porting HGEC bodies or a metric ton of sword mods, however, is legal.

It would also be legal to link Oblivion and Skyrim... provided the mod didn't contain any of Oblivion's assets and instead relied on the player already owning the game.

Edited by Rennn

And seeing how every bethesda game ~2006 uses more or less the same base engine so meshes and textures are in the same format, whilst animations, scripts and such should work aswell

Against the law. You are not allowed to copy something from game A to game B. And I do not mean "law" as in "boring rule": It is against the LAW, as in sued, costy stuff.

I think what the OP is asking, is if it is possible to send mods from Oblivion to Skyrim.

Playermade mods are, of course, simple to port over. The game engine is only modified, so we can guess the scripting is the same. Thus it's just about to alter small parts. The custom made models are the same no matter that.

Eh, don't speak about what you don't understand. Porting mods isn't illegal; only using the game's own assets. Modded software is open-source, and there's nothing illegal about it. If you took the model of, for example, the Imperial City, and stuck it in Skyrim, yeah, that'd be illegal. Porting HGEC bodies or a metric ton of sword mods, however, is legal.

It would also be legal to link Oblivion and Skyrim... provided the mod didn't contain any of Oblivion's assets and instead relied on the player already owning the game.

so if someone were to make a program that took the files from arena and messed with them and then built a mod for skyrim, but it's self didn't contain any content, than it would be legal?

or if someone compleatly recoded arena and then made a port into skyrim that would be legal also?

Edited by TheOneWithNoName

so if someone were to make a program that took the files from arena and messed with them and then built a mod for skyrim, but it's self didn't contain any content, than it would be legal?

or if someone compleatly recoded arena and then made a port into skyrim that would be legal also?

Yes to both (as long as you don't mess with the source code or upload assets) Ever hear of DaggerXL?

As long as it relies on files already present on your computer, it would be fine. Chances are, you'd need to access Oblivion's assets on the clients computer, using a new engine to link it with Skyrim.

IDK why you'd want to pirate Arena or Daggerfall anyway, they're both freeware now :)

It's even legal to DL a ps2 emulator as long as it requires you to dump your own ps2 BIOS to your computer.

Edited by Rennn

Eh, don't speak about what you don't understand. Porting mods isn't illegal

Actually it is. Unless you got the perimission from the author. You then break the copyright law because you stole THEIR work. If you are allowed, you can do it without problems, UNLESS the mod contain stuff from another game, as in a direct rip of it. That is against the EULA, and at some countries: Against the rule.

If somebody tells me "Can I port X mod?" I will tell them "no". If somebody say "Can the mod author, or me if I get permission, port it over?" Then I will say: "Maybe, depends on the mod. If it contains any oblivion/Morrowind-asset, as in a rip from the game, then no. If it is 100% custom made, then yes."

If you misunderstood me, then you really had no reason to go "Don't speak about what you don't understand"

Modded software is open-source, and there's nothing illegal about it. If you took the model of, for example, the Imperial City, and stuck it in Skyrim, yeah, that'd be illegal. Porting HGEC bodies or a metric ton of sword mods, however, is legal.

I am glad you took your time to read through this topic, and now agree with me on every point, yet insult me. How clever!

You could re-model Oblivion and not break the law, even if you do not own the game. You might get a email from Bethesda, but it is not against the law.

You would break the EULA, and again - at some places the law, if you use anything that is related to the game itself. So if you take a armor with just ONE inch of vanilla/Shivering Isles in them, as in right from the game, you broke it.

I believe I know more than I need to know about this, so stop acting up: You have done nothing but agree to me.

That sir, is called being an idiot, and even a hypocrit: I don't know what I talk about, you say what I say, and you do? what?

Really, us 3d artist, live by the EULA and copyright law more than anybody. How should we not know? We know the limits we got, so we don't walk over it while making something. Like me using a dragon head from Skyrim, and adding it to a pummel on a sword. I could then alter it for a few years. It's still under copyright.

Yes, I get winded up when somebody is too lazy to read a topic, misunderstands, and talks like he/she knows. When ALL that is done is agreeing with all I say. what?!

Eh ... Look, if anything is taken from a game, ANYTHING, it is against the EULA and possibly the law.

If the models, textures and scripts are made from SCRATCH, meaning NOTHING is taken from a game, then it is legal.

If I take a model and work with it untill it becomes something else, it is still under copyright.

I struggle with understanding what you ask about. There are 2 ways to get a model, a texture, a voice or a code. One is legal: making it yourself, one is illegal: using somebody elses. Is that answer enough?

Cheers

Matth

(because as long as you bought both there your property)

Hate to break this to you, but you didn't "buy" the games and don't and never will "own" the games.

You purchased a "license" to "use" the software package. The game, and every part that makes it go, all still belong to the people who own the IP. Just thought I had to clarify this since I've seen this statement made a few times in the last months...

Hate to break this to you, but you didn't "buy" the games and don't and never will "own" the games.

You purchased a "license" to "use" the software package. The game, and every part that makes it go, all still belong to the people who own the IP. Just thought I had to clarify this since I've seen this statement made a few times in the last months...

I think this is actually untested in court at present. If EULAs ever get tested in a substantive legal case, then we'll have a more definitive answer about whether you actually own the software you pay for.

Of course, most software companies don't want EULAs to get tested in court, because, if EULAs are ruled as non-binding, it would change the entire industry.

Edited by xaliqen

Well, this is actually untested in court. If EULAs ever get tested in a substantive legal case, then we'll have a more definitive answer about whether you actually own the software you pay for.

Of course, most software companies don't want EULAs to get tested in court, because if they lose it could change the entire industry.

News flash:

verner vs autodesk. supreme court refused to review the case, verdict stands.

Check blizzard successfully enforcing their EULA as well.

News flash:

verner vs autodesk. supreme court refused to review the case, verdict stands.

Check blizzard successfully enforcing their EULA as well.

My understanding is that It's far from the final word on what aspects of a EULA are enforceable and whether all EULAs are enforceable (since they can vary quite a bit). I'm not a lawyer, though. So, I'll let those who are lawyers fight it out among themselves. :)

Edited by xaliqen